I'm looking for a PVR that can record cable tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
Can someone direct to a retailer that sells a PVR / DVR that does not require a subscription like TIVO. I just want a generic Hard Drive video recorder or USB flash drive would be fine. It wouldn't even need a tuner just video in. Are their any FTA recievers that have video in for their PVR? Then I'd have the the best of both worlds. :)

I remember Philips / Maganvox making some of these for a very short time they had built in DVD recorders too, not FTA recievers just TV PVRs.

Thanks

Search here for Diamond and ViewSat 9000HD, I believe there may be one or two more. However, you may find that they may not bring in the guide information for OTA nor cable... I thought Dish/Echostar was comming out with a stand-alone OTA PVR box, TR-50 I think..

Dish has one called the DTVPalDVR but it only does OTA

The Diamond & Viewsats (and any FTA receiver with a OTA tuner) is just for OTA...not cable (AFAIK)

Look up the Moxi Dvr. It is a dual tuner cable only dvr. If you can find one of the old Sony DHG HDD 250 or 500's, they also record OTA and Cable without any subscription. I have had a 250 for 3 or 4 years now and still going strong.

I have two LRM-519 PVR's. One I bought new and the other used. They were a joint venture by LG and Microsoft. Has lots of features including a lifetime guide (Zap2It is the guide provider). You can get the guide for your local cable, Dish Net, Direct TV and maybe more. It's a 7 day guide and updates daily by either Broad Ban or dial up. Whatever you select.

These are actually very good PVR's and why they went belly up is unknown to me. The biggest problems were the DVD recorder player needs to be cleaned quite often. It just quits and most times using compressed air to clean it works. The biggest problem is the power supply goes out and all you get on boot up is "hello" . This too is an easy fix if you know your way around a soldiering iron. There are a couple of capacitors which go out from heat and age. I put an extra fan in mine and have not had this problem. There is a Yahoo group on this unit which gives all the info on the power supply problem.

I have seen them go on ebay $5.00 to $250.00

Jullius
Found something a little less expensive

Polaroid DRM-2001G DVD Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive - eBay (item 320432871135 end time Nov-05-09 21:48:23 PST)

I have one of these and they work really good. Its an analog tuner for OTA but will work with cable and has inputs for S-Video, A/V and component (pretty rare), a set of a/v on the front and on the back outputs for coax, a/v, s-video & component. Has a automatic buffer in it so if you're watching a sporting event you can go back and make your own replays.

80GB drive and a dvd recorder

Jullius
Found something a little less expensive

Polaroid DRM-2001G DVD Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive - eBay (item 320432871135 end time Nov-05-09 21:48:23 PST)

I have one of these and they work really good. Its an analog tuner for OTA but will work with cable and has inputs for S-Video, A/V and component (pretty rare), a set of a/v on the front and on the back outputs for coax, a/v, s-video & component. Has a automatic buffer in it so if you're watching a sporting event you can go back and make your own replays.

80GB drive and a dvd recorder

Iceberg
if anyone around here had one of these i thought you would.
i have 4 of them and they are pretty cool.and when you use the component (pretty rare) inputs it is very nice.
you can update the Hard drive to 250 gig.
still hope a geek can get it to do HD.

still active thread
Polaroid DVD Recorder - AVS Forum

Iceberg
if anyone around here had one of these i thought you would.
i have 4 of them and they are pretty cool.and when you use the component (pretty rare) inputs it is very nice.
you can update the Hard drive to 250 gig.
still hope a geek can get it to do HD.

I bought one of those a while back (maybe 2+ years ago) and used it kinda sparingly as I had 2 Accurian DVD recorder/HDD from Radio Shack. But now I started using the Polaroid one a little more and I like the timeshift (buffer) option :)

After much searching I ending up finding this:

Magnavox H2160MW9-RB HDD & DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner - REFURBISHED in Home DVD Recorders at JR.com

It's a refurbished version of the 160gb magnavox for 159.99 and free shipping. I thought I'd post it in case someone else was looking for DVR. I just ordered one today.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I'd be a bit leary of anything by Magnavox. Most of it is made by Funi. From what I've seen with DVD recorders and players is they tend to have a short life. Even some Denon units use Funi for there guts and they tend to have a high rate of problems. This unit being refurbished tells me it crapped out before. I bought a Magnavox by Funi refurbished DVD player and it didn't last very long like 6 months. A friend of mine bought a Denon (Funi guts) refurbished DVD changer and it was another short live boat anchor. I have clients who bought Magnavox DVD recorders new and they only lasted a year.

Just a little food for thought.

Thought I would pass this along, A friend of mine has one of the BEV pvr's and says he can record Cable, or OTA with it as his wife works during the day and is a hardcore "Days" fan, she never, unless the hydro goes out, misses an episode.
At this time I know the pvr looks simular to the BEV 5900 pvr unit, the 5900 pvr unit does not record cable or ota, but in this case it looks very simular, I will find out what the exact model is, and pass it on to the members.

In the mean time, I have found a source of not only pvr's but as well cards for your computer that will allow you to use your computer to record both analog, digital standard, or HD, signals.
As well they have reasonably priced pvr's or digital converters too.
I am not pushing any particular brand, just passing along information for the site members that will help them out.
I have included the link to the site.
All you have to do is to change the "*" to "t" to make the link work.

h**p://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts