I'm making the move from a VIP 211 to a DVR

+1...Go with WD. I bought a WD 1TB drive, recertified from NewEgg for $79, and it works flawlessly.

EDIT: just checked and it's even cheaper now @ $69 Newegg.com - Recertified: Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDH1U10000N

That's with free shipping. Subscribe to their email list and get a code for an additional $10 off through midnight tomorrow.

Newegg.com - 72-HOUR SAVING SPREE! $89.99 Garmin 4.3” GPS, $64.99 WD 1TB HDD, $99.99 LCD Monitor

I can highly recommend the EHD for the 211 unit,$70 at Wallmart for the USB drive and one time charge to dish $40. No second sat tuner but an off air antenna delivers the same options.(example record NCIS in HD off antenna and also record HBO HD at the same time from sat feed). No on demand or remote scheduling but everything else works perfect.:)

I can also recommend the EHD for the 211. In fact i just added one to mine last night. Got a Hitachi 500 gb for $54.99 last night at Frys. Which is about 48hrs of recording HD time. Plugged it in and the receiver immediatly recognized it and i called the 1-888 number that appeared on the screen, "that is completely automated"! So, no waiting on hold to speak to a CSR. It works great. :)

Fry's Hitachi 500GB XL Series Desktop USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Last edited:
Now that I'm on the EA, I can't get over how much junk I can stuff into a 750 Gb WD. At first I was just putting movies on it, now I record shows to watch later. MP4 has turned it into a bottomless pit. I bought my wife 211k and a 1TB for the bedroom and she'll never fill that up.

Does the hard drive need to have AC power or is a USB powered one OK with a 211k? Just wondering - I have a 211k that I plan to make a fee-free DVR very soon.

I am looking for a receiver that I can pause, etc. and record one program while watching another. Can this be accomplished with an EHD?

Bob

pausing and recording, yes, but it's still only a single tuner so you can't record one thing and watch another. Might be worth it to not have to pay $6 a month plus however much the difference in receiver costs are between a 211 and a 612

Is this true? It was impression I could watch one thing while recording another.

I believe you can watch one recorded show while recording another. But you can not watching live TV while recording another. Kind of like when the 722 is recording two live satellite channels you can not watching another live satellite channel.

I believe you can watch one recorded show while recording another. But you can not watching live TV while recording another. Kind of like when the 722 is recording two live satellite channels you can not watching another live satellite channel.

The most you can do with the 211 and EHD at one time "I'm surprised it actually works" is play one pre recorded HD show while recording one HD show off the off air antenna and recording one HD show off the satellite tuner. I'm using a Western Digital USB 2.0 500gig drive from Wallmart $70. Just did a plug and play,211 k formatted the drive and provided a 1-888 number for automated activation $40 to dish. I own a roof top UHF antenna that picks up all my local channels this works as a second tuner on the 211 unit. You can watch the live recording by pulling up the guide and select the program that is currently being recorded.:)

You must use the external power source that comes with the USB2.0 drive,Recommended by Dishnetwork and the drive manufacture.

Last edited:
A couple questions:

Will I be able to watch a show from the satellite while recording a different show from the satellite?

Also, if a timer had been set to record a show from the satellite from 7:00 until 8:30, will I be able to watch any other show on the satellite during that same time period?

A couple questions:

Will I be able to watch a show from the satellite while recording a different show from the satellite?

Also, if a timer had been set to record a show from the satellite from 7:00 until 8:30, will I be able to watch any other show on the satellite during that same time period?

No and No. Just one Sat tuner.

A couple questions:

Matt9876 answered exactly what the receiver can do all at one time right above your post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)