Im Now getting Sirius

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sirius

Well I will be anxious to see how sirius does on dish... I will get to move my xm home reciever into my office instead of bein on top of my entertainment center :) I personally have three xm units and am 1000% happy with them... XM is awesome.... not sure what charlie is doing with signing on Sirius but I am sure they made the deal pretty sweet to bump their numbers up cause they are hurting for people to listen... According to recent MSNBC and Newsweek articles XM has 1.68 Million subscribers and Sirius has 260,000 subscribers... the numbers say alot about the two companies.... having Dish onboard will make their sibscriber numbers appear to be inflated and allow them to do alot more head to head marketing with XM... But I wll stay with XM and enjoy my free sirius on Dish hehe :)

Stephen

Sirius Inflated #'s

I would not say that by adding Sirius to Dish that Sirius' number will be "inflated. I'm sure that Dish is paying Sirius for the use of their music. Whether or not Dish Subscribers use or listen to the Sirius Music is irrevelant. A a subscriber is a subscriber, so Sirius may surpass XM once this is rolled out.

Dean Rose
Dallas, TX
BOTH Sirius and XM Subscriber and Shareholder

nitstalker said:
Well I will be anxious to see how sirius does on dish... I will get to move my xm home reciever into my office instead of bein on top of my entertainment center :) I personally have three xm units and am 1000% happy with them... XM is awesome.... not sure what charlie is doing with signing on Sirius but I am sure they made the deal pretty sweet to bump their numbers up cause they are hurting for people to listen... According to recent MSNBC and Newsweek articles XM has 1.68 Million subscribers and Sirius has 260,000 subscribers... the numbers say alot about the two companies.... having Dish onboard will make their sibscriber numbers appear to be inflated and allow them to do alot more head to head marketing with XM... But I wll stay with XM and enjoy my free sirius on Dish hehe :)

Stephen

Report back in a few months after listening to Sirius. I would be very interested if you are still 1000% satisfied with your XM. BTW, your subscriber numbers are wrong.
:music

Stating that Stephen's subscriber numbers are wrong is incorrect. Stephen provided the source for the subscriber numbers, "According to recent MSNBC and Newsweek articles XM has 1.68 Million subscribers and Sirius has 260,000 subscribers.."

According to Realmoney.com:

"Sirius Satellite Radio Reaches 400,000 Subscribers
- PR Newswire
NEW YORK, May 11, 2004 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- SIRIUS, the premium satellite radio provider , known for delivering the very best in commercial-free music and sports programming to cars and homes across the country, today announced that it reached the 400,000 subscriber mark for its nationwide service of over 60-commercial-free music channels and more than 50 channels of news, traffic, weather, sports, information and entertainment."

And according to TheStreet.com:

"4/1/2004 5:32 PM EST
by Scott Moritz
Satellite radio shop XM Satellite (XMSR:Nasdaq - commentary - research) saw a big jump in new subscribers for the first quarter.
The Washington, D.C., pay radio service added 320,000 net new subscribers for the quarter ended yesterday, exceeding the 260,000-addition target that some analysts had set. XM now counts 1.68 million users and says it is on track to reach its goal of 2.8 million subscribers by year-end."

BTW, I won't need a few months to listen to Sirius to make a decision. I was once a subscriber to both Sirius & XM. Cancelled Sirius and now have XM exclusively in all of my automobiles and in my home.

XM has far greater depth in it's quality of content & programming.

"the numbers say alot about the two companies....", is a very accurrate statement, even though you may disagree with the actual numbers used by the 2 News organization.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/satellite/page2.html

I'm glad we agree that the 260,000 sub number for Sirius was incorrect and wrong. Thanks for clearing that up for the DISH board and providing the link about the recently announced 400,000 Sirius subscribers. Hopefully soon to be 6,400,000 subscribers thanks to DISH.

sblasl said "XM has far greater depth in it's quality of content & programming."

I respect you opinion. Hopefully you will respect mine when I say Sirius has the greater content / programming and their is no contest with talk, sports, entertainment and in house produced content. I really was interested in Stephen's opinion of Sirius compared to XM, not yours, but glad you shared your personal experiences.

I suppose from what you are saying Direct TV is better than DISH because they have more subscribers. I disagree with you on that point as well.

There are tons of personal websites that promote Sirius over XM but this is the DISH Forum and the last time I checked, XM was not on DISH. But if you really are interested in what professionals say about Sirius, read this: http://www.stifel.com/stifelresearchdocs/SIRI 051204 FC.pdf :D

Hopefully soon to be 6,400,000 subscribers thanks to DISH.

Actually Sirius will NOT count the Dish Subscribers as those subs are not paying for the service.

I am supposed to meet Mr Clayton the CEO of Sirius on Thursday night, and that is one of the questions I plan on asking him.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am supposed to meet Mr Clayton the CEO of Sirius on Thursday night, and that is one of the questions I plan on asking him.

Me too. And look forward to the event, especially Jay Leno. I have never seen him in person.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Cool look for me there. :)

I am SO looking forward to going. :D

Please do say hi if you see me (I should be easy to spot) :)

I will and as soon is everything is confirmed, I'll PM you my cell number. This is going to be a great trip for me. I'm originally from Dallas and have family there. My brother lives less than 3 miles from the event in Grapevine.
:)

If 1 in 100 Dish subscribers ordered Sirius as a result of being on their system and seeing how good the service is, then Sirius would get 100,000 new subscribers. I personally do not think the numbers would be that high unless Sirius advertised on their channels about their service and how to order it and perhaps a promotion as well.

Stargazer said:
If 1 in 100 Dish subscribers ordered Sirius as a result of being on their system and seeing how good the service is, then Sirius would get 100,000 new subscribers. I personally do not think the numbers would be that high unless Sirius advertised on their channels about their service and how to order it and perhaps a promotion as well.

I hear about the DISH agreement with Sirius/RadioShack on Sirius, but I think most of the advertising will be coming from DISH. We all will find out this week. :shocked

Don't only the Dish Net subs who are AT120 and over get Sirius? If so you cant count all Dish subs as Sirius subs.

sblasl said:
XM has far greater depth in it's quality of content & programming.

I would have to hugely disagree with this statement. I had xm for almost a year, and can honestly say that the computer generated playlists, presents of commercials, and lack of a good modern rock/rock station was horrid. I switched to Sirius a few months ago, and couldn't be happier. My Sirius doesn't cut out as much due to the degree of the signal. I have channels that don't try to mimic other stations (XM 20,21). Sirius isn't owned by Clearchannel (the company that is taking over radio). AND there are REAL-actual DJ's!

I am very excited that DISH is getting Sirius, they couldn't have made a wiser desision.

BSilvertab

XM is not owned by Clear Channel eaither.

And Sirius may have real DJ's but they are not LIVE as they are most of the time on XM.

Sirius does not have request lines like XM does, which to me is a major shortcoming of Sirius, on XM if I call and request a song my song is played 2 or 3 songs later.

On Sirius you email requests and you get a form letter back saying they will try to play your request within 48 hours.

No it will automaticly appear. No call is necessary. :)

Don't be allarmed if it is not there, sometimes new additions do not show up until after 5PM Eastern time. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
XM is not owned by Clear Channel eaither.
Personally, I hate Clear Channel, and all they represent, with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. But, it wouldn't sway my opinion of either satellite radio service even though they do have a major stake in XM, according to XM's own corporate info web page:
"XM's powerful strategic and equity partners are leaders in their respective industries. These include General Motors, the largest U.S. auto and truck manufacturer; Honda Motors; and Clear Channel, the largest U.S. radio station operator."

And Sirius may have real DJ's but they are not LIVE as they are most of the time on XM.
Whichever service is first to GET RID OF those stupid DJ's will instantly rise to #1 in my book.

Also, what's the deal with XM's incredibly stupid channel names? At least with Sirius, it's easy to figure out what style of music is playing on a channel. WTF is "Fred", "Ethel", and "Fungus"?

Effective TUESDAY (5/18) by 5p (ET), DISH NETWORK will launch 61 additional channels of music provided by SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO. These music channels will be available in AMERICA's Top 120 and above packages at no extra charge. SIRIUS music channels will be launched at the 119 satellite location and can be found in the 6000 range. This adds a potential 6 million listeners to the SIRIUS listenership.

I was just about to post that Rolltide. Its funny all the people I have spoke with today who work at Dish know nothing about this and tell me it's the 20th.

I would love to see them today. :)

Only a few more hours, so I guess we will see in a few. :)