I'm out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
When I had Voom I purchased an indoor amplified antenna and got all the locals. I disconnected the diplexer from the Voom receiver and directly hooked up the antenna to the back of the receiver.

jgantert said:
I could not get them to use the amp or to run a seperate line for the antenna (I tried with several different installers).

Without the amp the stealth did not work for me at all. Couldnt pick up a thing. Im around 14 miles away from the Ant's and I still had no luck. The Amp has to be installed. If you have alot of trees around you or hills or buildings then that could be affecting your ability to aquire a good sig. I bought two 5 ft mast's from RS Put them together and sig improved greatly. Still, even with the Ant up high it is hard to pull in a sig from a station that is not operating at high power.

jgan,
ken f>> I can't get to the antenna to move it (way too high). DC digitals are about 20-22 miles away at 225 degrees. Balt is 13 miles at 61 deg. (zip 21045) WB in Balt is an odd-ball -- only 6 miles away, but I need a violet antenna to get it! However, I only expect/want to get 2,11,13,45,54. All are within the range of light green
With the exception of WMAR (ABC), the DC stations are doing a better job with HD than the Baltimore stations. For example, last I checked, the Sinclair-owned WBFF wasn't even passing the 480p widescreen programming from FOX, and it's not clear if they'll do HD in time for FOX's NFL HD this fall. In contrast, WTTG in DC is owned by FOX, so they currently pass the network's 480p widescreen content, and will pass their HD from day 1.

If reception on the Baltimore stations proves unreliable, you might want to have them remap you to DC. Once the next software update is delivered with OTA scanning, you should be able to tune both DC and Baltimore signals. Once you get both, I think you'll find yourself watching the DC stations more for primetime content from NBC, FOX, CBS, with WMAR for ABC.

Btw, have you tried an indoor set-top antenna like the Silver Sensor? If you could get reception with an indoor set-top, then that would obviously indicate a problem with the installation or setup of the outdoor antenna.

My HDTV has an internal tuner and I can get the locals either through the VOOM STB or the Internal tuner and the transmiters are anywhere from 18 to 60 miles away and some are 180 degrees from each other.

But in order to do this I had to install an ultra fringe antenna with rotator and an amplifier.

The Voom STB does have a stronger signal than the internal tuner.

Sorry your having troubles, it's taken me two months to finally get my system the way I wanted it. The dish is really tedious to peak to get the optimum signal.

INstaller issues

It seems that your Voom experience wil only be as good as your installer. After my initial installation (which took place after a missed appointment) I had access to only a very few OTA channels. The installer, lets call him Toadboy, told me that I wasn't receiving them because they didn't broadcast during the day. This was (obviously) a big lie. Toadboy also disconnected my cable service, so I didnt have ANY access to my local channels. Then, when I made an appointment for him to come back and fix my OTA issue, he told my wife that there was nothing he could do, we simply couldnt get OTA channels. Of course there was a missed appointment in between, AND Toadboy failed to reconnect my cable on this visit. Finally, he came out and reconnected my cable, and when my wife asked him where the upgraded antenna he was supposed to install was, his reply was "Those things cost like a hundred bucks". So Toadboy STILL wasn't taking care of my OTA issue. Finally after complaining to Voom, and requesting a different installer, someone else came out, looked at the antenna and where the dish was installed and was amazed I was getting any reception at all. He moved the dish and the antenna, and now I get every single OTA channel (with the same original antenna) and much better Voom reception (in the 90s instead of the 50s). If only I had this other installer first. My neighbor also had Voom installed with Toadboy and had the same exact problems I did. The Toadboys of the worls are killing Voom. I am in San Antonio, TX, so if you are getting Voom here, make sure your installer is NOT Johnny George, aka Toadboy.

jgantert said:
Also, we have aluminum siding, so no indoor/attic antenna will work.
I have aluminum siding and have a directional antenna in my attic, no multipathing, works beautifully. But mine is pointing in the direction of the shingles, not pointed at the siding. You may have to go to a pole mount outside, attached to the house.

jgantert said:
Heck, the installer said if I use DirecTV with an antenna, that I could get the local channels in HD.
Wrong, Directv gets local HD with an antenna exactly the same way Voom does. You will still need an antenna that works. Until you solve this antenna problem you will not get local HD.

Directv will give you your locals by sat for an additional fee but they will NOT be HD. They will not even be good SD. ANd my experience with them is that they looked like crap. I once called and accused them of giving me analog locals!, they looked so bad. If you ever solve your antenna problem you will love the way the locals look. I use them as a benchmark for quality especially CBS in primetime HD OTA, its as good as HDNET. TYpically there is no better quality, depending on what your affiliate is doing with the signal.

If you are truly interested in solving your problem. Contact some of the local affiliate station engineers in your area by email. They will tell you the exact model of antenna you need once they know your location. Mine did. Its their business and they are very knowledgeable and are probably recieving the signals at their homes OTA as well.

In my case I solved my antenna problem when I had Directv so the switch to voom was easy for me.

jgantert said:
...apparently I can't recieve any local channels...
jgantert, in another thread you mentioned that you were getting at least a couple of channels after the initial install. Now (after the antenna upgrade) you are saying that you are not getting any channels at all. Could you clarify whether you are getting any OTA signal at all, at least occasionally? Because if you are not, it must be a connection/wiring problem. A rather easy problem to fix.

Ilya said:
jgantert, in another thread you mentioned that you were getting at least a couple of channels after the initial install. Now (after the antenna upgrade) you are saying that you are not getting any channels at all. Could you clarify whether you are getting any OTA signal at all, at least occasionally? Because if you are not, it must be a connection/wiring problem. A rather easy problem to fix.

Correct, with the Stealth I got 4 channels that "broke up" on me frequently. With the new antenna, I get nothing on ALL channels ALL of the time. Someone is coming tomorrow morning to check it out. Different company this time (no more DataLink Comms.). I'm guessing antenna pointing (still looks like it is 180 degrees off), and possibly to remove the 4032IFD device. I've read here that it is only used to amplify the stealth antenna, and can cause bad things with other antennas.

Hopefully they will also ground the antenna as well!

Hope they can figure it out.

-John

manfred said:
Where on the VOOM box did they connect the antenna? I am 60miles away and the Stealth works just fine.

I have the standard setup with the OTA module and splitter on the back of the Voom STB. It can't be bad since I did have a weak signal with the stealth antenna.

-John

jgantert said:
Correct, with the Stealth I got 4 channels that "broke up" on me frequently. With the new antenna, I get nothing on ALL channels ALL of the time. Someone is coming tomorrow morning to check it out. Different company this time (no more DataLink Comms.). I'm guessing antenna pointing (still looks like it is 180 degrees off), and possibly to remove the 4032IFD device. I've read here that it is only used to amplify the stealth antenna, and can cause bad things with other antennas.

Hopefully they will also ground the antenna as well!

Hope they can figure it out.

-John
If you are not getting any signal at all (beeing in the light green area) - something is totally wrong with your setup. I think they should be able to figure this out! Glad you will have a different installer. Good luck tomorrow!

Update!

Ok, the new installer came and found that the antenna was improperly pointed. Also, the diplexer (sp?) was incorrectly wired.

However, I have lots of tall trees in the direction of the signal. I only get 2 channels (2 & 13), but both are unwatchable as they cut out a lot.

Its strange when you look at the power meter on the Voom box. I'm getting power levels around 65-72, but my signal quality is only 13-17.

After talking with Joe from Installs Inc., they are going to come out again and install a pre-amp. He said if that doesn't work, they will try the Square Shooter antenna. From talking to him, it sounds like the problem is either a multi-path problem, or that the trees are just blocking the signal.

Either way, I feel better now that I am working with an installer who seems to know his stuff. (He commented that all installers should be certified, but doesn't believe that a certified installer would have done what was done here.)

Oh well, a little progress at last...

-John

The antenna Voom installed (an upgraded directional antenna) wasn't good enough to bring in some of my channels, so I decided it would be easiest to just buy an antenna I thought would work and change it out myself which is what I did. Cost me a little for an antenna, but now I receive all of my local channels great. Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands to resolve these things.

Nightmare continues

Well, the installer came back out and upgraded me to the square shooter. Still had no pictures, so he removed the diplexer on the back of the box. After that, no picture, but OTA signal quality is in the 60's. Screen still says "no signal".

He called Installs Inc, who said it wasn't bad hardware, it just needs to be re-programmed. So they are going to hit my box with new software (I thought I already had the latest version).

However, the installer is convienced that the OTA module is bad.

I think I am going to go out to Best Buy and get an OTA HD box, hook it up and see if the antenna is good or not. Sounds like the Voom box is one POS. He had to talk to several guys at Installs Inc, before anyone knew anything. Eventually someone on the phone recommended the software upgrade. They said the box was "scarse" and they could not send out a replacement.

The installer recommended I uninstall Voom if they were unwilling to send a replacement box, but he was willing to come back and directly run a line from the antenna directly into the STB (he didn't have any grounded cable on him).

Ugh...
-John

Hey guys I have been reading a ton of your informative posts and was thinking that I want Voom to be my HD tv provider but OTA channels are a must other wise I dont want any satilite provider until they can give me my locals in HD over there Dish and not with a extra OTA antenna..

Here is my question do you think I should hire a seperate company that has the eqipment to put up my OTA antenna properly or wait untill I subscribe to Voom and see how there instalers do, because I dont need to be taking time off of work and having missed appointments and so forth?

Well thanks for any advice you can give to a maybe new Voom customer.. Cya Slick

Slick,

Never take a day off work for an install. Schedule it during a Saturday or your day off. Rent a few DVDs or plan to do some work around the house so you don't sit twiddling your thumbs if they are late. Cable and satellite installers are renown for their inability to arrive on time.

I would give them at least one try to get the antenna install right. Many of the installers are gaining more experience with antenna installs, as their learn from their mistakes on previous customers. Eventually, certain installers must figure out that they're pointing the antenna backwards. :rolleyes:

Slick said:
I dont want any satilite provider until they can give me my locals in HD over there Dish
No one can give you locals in HD over the satellite. This is technically impossible, and will not be possible any time soon.
... do you think I should hire a seperate company that has the eqipment to put up my OTA antenna properly or wait untill I subscribe to Voom and see how there instalers do...
Why would you want to pay for something that VOOM will do for free?

john, if you are anywhere near lisle I have a samsung ota you can borrow...just using it on an upstairs tv and wouldnt miss it for awhile

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)