I’m so happy with directv I moved from dish to directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm about to leave DirecTV and go back to Comcast. Sick of the constant rain fade and horrible equipment. Plus the price is a lot higher than when I signed up 3 years ago. I only left after Comcast dropped YES, now that they are back I will grab a nice 2 year bundle.

I'm about to leave DirecTV and go back to Comcast. Sick of the constant rain fade and horrible equipment. Plus the price is a lot higher than when I signed up 3 years ago. I only left after Comcast dropped YES, now that they are back I will grab a nice 2 year bundle.
Comcast is terrible they are compressing all channels down to 720p
And no 4k, they had to run the world cup via IP and that's one of the rare events they have in 4k

Comcast downgrading all 1080i HD channels to 720p - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 2806786

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Is there really a huge difference from 1080i and 720p? I'd rather have a progressive picture vs interlace.
The bigger issue is that comcast is compressing /downreizing the picture

So it comes in 108o and they drop it down to 720
Even if u have a 1080p or 4k tv...

Cant speak for comcast exact but I compared directv and cox on same TV and cox was microblock city . NBA was unwatchable, fast motion digital blocks all around the players

And this was setting the contour/x1 box to 1080p

The bigger issue is that comcast is compressing /downreizing the picture

So it comes in 108o and they drop it down to 720
Even if u have a 1080p or 4k tv...

Your 1080p TV is already down scaling a signal to 1080i.

Cox has a lot of compression in their signal. But to be fair the networks are doing a lot as well with the repack.

Is there really a huge difference from 1080i and 720p? I'd rather have a progressive picture vs interlace.

The conversion of 1080i to 720p doesn't really matter, but using a CBR of 3 Mbps for all their MPEG4 HD channels really hurts. Directv uses around 6.5 Mbps AVERAGE for their MPEG4 HD channels, and it is variable bit rate so it often exceeds 10 Mbps for sports on channels like ESPN and FS1. Trust me, you'd much rather have 6.5 Mbps let alone 10+ Mbps 720p than 3 Mbps 1080i.

Thanks goodness for MLB EI

Able to watch baseball night in America on Fox national feed , despite my local Fox being in the Nextstar dispute

Reactions: comp9 and Jimbo
Also today's soccer match I'm able to watch on the 4k channel . ! Love all these national feeds on DirecTV

Reactions: comp9
The conversion of 1080i to 720p doesn't really matter, but using a CBR of 3 Mbps for all their MPEG4 HD channels really hurts. Directv uses around 6.5 Mbps AVERAGE for their MPEG4 HD channels, and it is variable bit rate so it often exceeds 10 Mbps for sports on channels like ESPN and FS1. Trust me, you'd much rather have 6.5 Mbps let alone 10+ Mbps 720p than 3 Mbps 1080i.
Exactly. The down res isn’t the issue. The issue is the bit rate is horrible

Dish is probably pushing a higher rate then Comcast

Reactions: dtv757
Directly from Nexstar is a press release saying they offered DirecTV to extend the current Contract agreement without any changes, which likely means the same price to carry all of the Nexstar locals.

Personally I see this a Giant Black Eye to a provider that always seemed to care about their service. With few exceptions, historically DirecTV hasn't dropped too many Locals or National channels.

Since AT&T took over they have systematically made the service worse and worse.

Currently in my Local Area (Rochester NY) DirecTV has lost the Local Affiliates for ABC, CW and CBS. Not as big as an issue for me as I have an AM21 and a LCC for two of my receivers, sadly one receiver is at my Boat to far for reasonable reception of my Local via OTA (Due to terrain restriction).

Directly from Nexstar is a press release saying they offered DirecTV to extend the current Contract agreement without any changes, which likely means the same price to carry all of the Nexstar locals.

Personally I see this a Giant Black Eye to a provider that always seemed to care about their service. With few exceptions, historically DirecTV hasn't dropped too many Locals or National channels.

Since AT&T took over they have systematically made the service worse and worse.

Currently in my Local Area (Rochester NY) DirecTV has lost the Local Affiliates for ABC, CW and CBS. Not as big as an issue for me as I have an AM21 and a LCC for two of my receivers, sadly one receiver is at my Boat to far for reasonable reception of my Local via OTA (Due to terrain restriction).

Nexstar probably wants to extend the current distribution agreement to August, and then likely again for 30 more days, to carry into the football season. Then when the channels were cut off they'd have a far larger impact than they'd have in the summer when fewer people care. If the channels were cut off in September Nexstar would be in a much stronger position with football season starting up and the fall TV schedule around the corner.

Anyone who complains about Directv doing hardball negotiations with local channels better not EVER complain about the yearly price increases in January/February, because local channels are the major reason for those increases. Local channels account for $15 of my cable bill (it is broken out) and it was less than $8 only two years earlier. If Directv pays the same as even smaller cable providers like mine (Nexstar says they are asking for the same price as in other completed contracts) then at least $15 of your bill if not more will be going towards locals and they'll have to announce another hefty price increase early next year.

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts