I’m so happy with directv I moved from dish to directv

Nexstar probably wants to extend the current distribution agreement to August, and then likely again for 30 more days, to carry into the football season. Then when the channels were cut off they'd have a far larger impact than they'd have in the summer when fewer people care. If the channels were cut off in September Nexstar would be in a much stronger position with football season starting up and the fall TV schedule around the corner.

Anyone who complains about Directv doing hardball negotiations with local channels better not EVER complain about the yearly price increases in January/February, because local channels are the major reason for those increases. Local channels account for $15 of my cable bill (it is broken out) and it was less than $8 only two years earlier. If Directv pays the same as even smaller cable providers like mine (Nexstar says they are asking for the same price as in other completed contracts) then at least $15 of your bill if not more will be going towards locals and they'll have to announce another hefty price increase early next year.
These agreements should be based on market size and viewership. Not as a blatant agreement company wide. Why should I be paying for an affiliate in Oklahoma?

These agreements should be based on market size and viewership. Not as a blatant agreement company wide. Why should I be paying for an affiliate in Oklahoma?

They are based on 'per viewer', because that's almost certainly how the networks charge their affiliates. Why should a viewer in NYC be worth less than a viewer in Oklahoma? If a DMA is 10x larger and they charge 10x as much, it is still the same per person regardless of where you live.

They are based on 'per viewer', because that's almost certainly how the networks charge their affiliates. Why should a viewer in NYC be worth less than a viewer in Oklahoma? If a DMA is 10x larger and they charge 10x as much, it is still the same per person regardless of where you live.
NYC should be charging more as they have more viewers. A smaller market should be charging less based on market share and viewership. Why should I pay for a struggling affiliate the same as a successful one? These rights fees should be based on market only, not a company wide agreement. We pay for ESPN equally as they are a nationwide network. An NBC affiliate in Boise should not be charged the same as an NBC affiliate in Boston.

NYC should be charging more as they have more viewers. A smaller market should be charging less based on market share and viewership. Why should I pay for a struggling affiliate the same as a successful one? These rights fees should be based on market only, not a company wide agreement. We pay for ESPN equally as they are a nationwide network. An NBC affiliate in Boise should not be charged the same as an NBC affiliate in Boston.

They DO charge more for NYC, they charge per customer, so the total they get is a lot more. But why should a customer in NYC pay $20 for their locals and a customer in Montana pay $10 for theirs? On what basis, because you assume the stations in Montana are "struggling"? They might be doing better than the ones in NYC, you don't know. Salaries, rents, everything costs more in NYC they might be struggling there!

So you want to base it on paying less per viewer to stations that are struggling (not sure how you determine that unless they have to make their books available to Directv) and increase the chances of driving them out of business? What would that accomplish?

Reactions: Jimbo and ncted
Directly from Nexstar is a press release saying they offered DirecTV to extend the current Contract agreement without any changes, which likely means the same price to carry all of the Nexstar locals.

Personally I see this a Giant Black Eye to a provider that always seemed to care about their service. With few exceptions, historically DirecTV hasn't dropped too many Locals or National channels.

Since AT&T took over they have systematically made the service worse and worse.

Currently in my Local Area (Rochester NY) DirecTV has lost the Local Affiliates for ABC, CW and CBS. Not as big as an issue for me as I have an AM21 and a LCC for two of my receivers, sadly one receiver is at my Boat to far for reasonable reception of my Local via OTA (Due to terrain restriction).
Finally, some one is standing up when networks decide they want to THINK thier stations are worth much more than they actually are ...
If the rest start to do the same, prices should drop instead of continually raising prices due to negotiating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)