Im unplugging my phone lines on 2/1

I am still missing something---why will E8 even care that you have done this?

Been a while since I was with Dish Network. Back in the day, I wasn't geographically close to where I subbed so I was concerned about calling in. I also wanted caller ID. I simply put in a few strange symbols for the "prefix" in the settings. This allowed me to keep the line connected while not actually calling into the center.

It may also be easier for folks who have buried their receiver into an entertainment center and don't want to hassle with unplugging the line.

I also wanted caller ID. I simply put in a few strange symbols for the "prefix" in the settings. This allowed me to keep the line connected while not actually calling into the center.

The problem with doing that is "it is always possible that a download from dish could accidently wipeout any prefix entered".
The best way is you wire a 4.7k resister in series with the phoneline and that will prevent the receiver from calling out. The receiver will not see a dial tone but it will still "hear" the ring and caller ID info.

Yeah that sounds interesting. I don't use the caller ID feature, but I have given this some more thought. It looks like my bill currently will not increase as dramatically as Claude's. Only $8.96. No America everything and only three 622s. I don't especially like so many bills, phone service you know, but I am so used to having my receivers plugged in for the time being I think I am going to leave them until I decide what to do about not liking bills. Thanks for the thread Claude.

Wow, as a retailer I did not know about this new charge, what a rip off in my opinion. I have to wonder what Dish Network is thinking. I guess they wanted to get some feedback from the customer. Now a dual tuner does not have any advantage, back to the stand alone at every tv to get the best picture possibe hooking up a HDMI cable.

It's not like we didn't see this coming. Every February there is a rate increase. Every January there are dozens of threads with thousands of posts bitching about the increase and threatening to drop E*.
Every February there is a rate increase that is greater than the rate of inflation, so the average customer is seeing his spending power whittled away. How much longer will companies be able to get by with these types of rate increases?

Every February there is a rate increase that is greater than the rate of inflation, so the average customer is seeing his spending power whittled away. How much longer will companies be able to get by with these types of rate increases?
As long as they're all doing it, probably forever unfortunately....

And as long as we are willing to pay it. There is not a gun to my head that says that I MUST have DishNetwork, Comcast, or any other provider. I can always get OTA for free....

Yes, every year people belly ache about a price increase, and some have said that in these threads that is to be expected every year, but come on, this is not a usual price increase. This is a BIG one for many folks. This is far from usual.

As I have said in the past, they can only raise rates so much before they cross a line. I think they have crossed that line for many. There are limits to how much they can do this before people start to think "this is just too much for tv".

I would love to see that new FTA suite of channels to become successful. Things like this is what makes things like that successful.

As far as the phone lines go, if they see a negative result due to this, they may implement either charging $5 more than your paying now on those dual tuner receivers or they will reincorporate a $5 credit on people's bills if you keep them connected (or maybe just a $2-3 credit - they want to keep the rest). I can see this happening. They might also do like Directv did in the past, shut service off to all additional receivers not hooked up to a phone line. Dish could very well be testing what people are willing to pay with these fees and see what the negative impact will be BEFORE introducing a $5 credit for keeping phone line hooked up.

Yes, but if you are connected via Ethernet then they can collect them that way.

Not if certain IP's are blocked on the router ;) I haven't tested this to see if it doesn't dial out but yet DishOnline works. I rarely use DishOnline anyways since it is such a horrible interface. I'll just disconnect the cable.

Yes, every year people belly ache about a price increase, and some have said that in these threads that is to be expected every year, but come on, this is not a usual price increase. This is a BIG one for many folks. This is far from usual.

As I have said in the past, they can only raise rates so much before they cross a line. I think they have crossed that line for many. There are limits to how much they can do this before people start to think "this is just too much for tv".

I would love to see that new FTA suite of channels to become successful. Things like this is what makes things like that successful.

As far as the phone lines go, if they see a negative result due to this, they may implement either charging $5 more than your paying now on those dual tuner receivers or they will reincorporate a $5 credit on people's bills if you keep them connected (or maybe just a $2-3 credit - they want to keep the rest). I can see this happening. They might also do like Directv did in the past, shut service off to all additional receivers not hooked up to a phone line. Dish could very well be testing what people are willing to pay with these fees and see what the negative impact will be BEFORE introducing a $5 credit for keeping phone line hooked up.

I don't see this happening at all... people without land lines(more and more everyday) and no way to hook it up to their router would be pissed.

Does anyone happen to know what ports to close on our routers to keep them from getting the info from us via the internet?

I didn't force a call out but here is what mine is connected to now. Source port on the left, destination port on right.

TCP 192.168.1.71 1685 70.42.244.143 (70.42.244.143) 3490 Unclassified
UDP 192.168.1.71 1024 8.7.94.155 (8.7.94.155) 30123 Unclassified

but can you block outgoing ports?

and we're not really talking about a rate increase, we are talking about a BIG fee increase.

The destination IP addresses that Digi posted match the ones I have but the port numbers don't:

192.168.0.113:3889 70.42.244.143:3724 TCP
192.168.0.113:2050 8.7.94.155:30123 UDP

192.168.0.120:1026 8.7.94.155:30123 UDP
192.168.0.120:4532 70.42.244.143:3724 TCP

I can always get OTA for free....

Somewhere today, may have been Home Theater magazine, I saw that in Los Angeles many people are tired of high prices and going OTA. If your going to enjoy OTA I'm sure LA is the place for it. They probably have the most OTA channels of anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)