Improvement Wish List for Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

svx94

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
I have Voom for a month now, and like most of you here, I like what I got for the price and will stay in. I guess Voom is monitoring this forum closely and I'd like to start this thread to tell them what Voomers want beside fixing their known bugs...

Here is my wish list:
1. In the program menu, allows user to map out unwanted channels. In my case, not all the OTA channels are available to me, but I can't easily skip them.

2. Extend the "favorite" channel function to all groups, like "News", "Sports", etc, allowing user to add/remove channels to these group. A function that restore the default setting for the group will be nice.

3. Make the remote "learn-able".

4. Display channel number, time on the receiver, but allow user to turn it off.

5. Allowing detail "info" for not only the current program, but for future program as well.

My wishlist:

1) Get rid of the 5 second disappearing act with the Surfbar, require Back to get out of it.
2) When scrolling using the Surfbar, keep the time slot the same when jumping up to the next channel.
3) Ditto on more Favorites Lists and hiding channels not subbed to.
4) Make the Planner default to Power On mode.
5) Make the Guide info come in quicker after a reset.
6) When bringing up Favorites, make the first channel displayed be the channel that is being viewed.
7) Improve the bitrate on SD programming.
8) Get HDNET & INHD.
9) Include a transparent OTA signal strength meter when pressing INFO.
10) When viewing a Theme, the yellow highlight bar does not stay on the same channel when scrolling sideways to a new screen. This was fixed for the Favorites.
11) Allow Manual input for Planner for future programs. Allow for Daily, Weekly recordings & time buffering.
12) If it's in the hardware, enable IR blasting for controlling a VCR.
13) Fix the Red Sparklies issue on the SD channels.
EDIT 14) Implement the ability to Search for a program and skip ahead X number of hours/days in the guide.

1. Get Rid of the Microstutters!
2. Implement Quality Control system on the PQ of most of the channels. Isolate those channels that are not up to standards, and FIX them.
3. Beg, borrow, or STEAL HDNET and INHD1/INHD2
4. Implement a DVR solution IN THE SECOND QUARTER OF THIS YEAR!
5. Quality control over installations: The more customer's we have, the cheaper my bill will be, and more services we'll have! Installs INc, is NOT getting the job done!
6. Fix STB issues, including crashes, program guide issues
7. BACK IT DOWN- MAKE CINEMA 10, CINEMA 5. (I know these 10 channels are just for bragging rights, but the content is bogus. Vooms own salespeople know this to be true!)
8. Get rid of diplicate channels. Jeez! This is an HD service. I don't need the SD verisions of all the premiums that duplicate the HD versions. FREE UP SOME SPaCE get rid of the duplicates!
9. Variety, variety, variety!
10. More HD- don't care how.

reduce cinema10 to 5 HD movie channels and for petes sake NAME them!

5 cinema channels each showing 2 movies alternating would work just fine. In its present form Cinema10 is just something to criticize and brings most to the conclusion that its a waste showing one movie per channel all day. Cinema5+ epics+monsters is still 6 more old movie channels than HDnetmovies!

Voom would keep its appeal to movie buffs, still offer more than directv and free up valuable space. Its a no brainer. Use the space for tntHD, fox sportshd thats rumored, tbshd? TMC HD etc when the come maybe inhd1 and 2.

Let me ask this: what kind of sense does cinema10 make with a DVR? It makes it even more laughable.

Wouldnt it also be helpful to name the cinema channels, DramaHD, ComedyHD etc? as it stands now who can remember what kind of material runs on cinema1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10?

DragonLips said:
1. Get Rid of the Microstutters!
2. Implement Quality Control system on the PQ of most of the channels. Isolate those channels that are not up to standards, and FIX them.
3. Beg, borrow, or STEAL HDNET and INHD1/INHD2
4. Implement a DVR solution IN THE SECOND QUARTER OF THIS YEAR!
5. Quality control over installations: The more customer's we have, the cheaper my bill will be, and more services we'll have! Installs INc, is NOT getting the job done!
6. Fix STB issues, including crashes, program guide issues
7. BACK IT DOWN- MAKE CINEMA 10, CINEMA 5. (I know these 10 channels are just for bragging rights, but the content is bogus. Vooms own salespeople know this to be true!)
8. Get rid of diplicate channels. Jeez! This is an HD service. I don't need the SD verisions of all the premiums that duplicate the HD versions. FREE UP SOME SPaCE get rid of the duplicates!
9. Variety, variety, variety!

All good - but note that #2, #4, and #6 are in progress and can't be rushed. They are surely losing customers over these issues, and are giving them their full attention. Not so sure on #5 - but as the installers get more familiar, it will improve. Seems to me that getting the CSR's and installers a one page information sheet about a few key issues - such as rain fade and larger dishes - could save us all a lot of grief. Another thing they could do is head off rumors/complaints and let us know what channels are coming.

DragonLips said:

Dragon,

#5 - Having had a bad OTA experience, I can honestly say that Joe Harkins is eager to right many of my installation wrongs. My take on this matter: 50% blame to Installs Inc. for contracting, and not adequately training, multiple levels of subcontactors (VooM-->Installs Inc.-->Datalink-->Independent Installer-->Joe Blow--> etc.) - Yikes!!! Too many moving parts to quickly weed-out the rubes & dolts. IMHO, the other 50% is due to VooM's inadequate Compensation Policy: inadequate compensation = inexperienced installers with poor attitudes.

#7 - Completely disagree! I love the Cinema 10 format and "things" will only get better as Rainbow Media continues to generate and acquire HD content. Cinema 10 is going to be an AWESOME and UNIQUE product in a year or two. Personally, I love the 24-hour repeat format, but perhaps they can look at changing this after releasing a DVR.

#8 - I agree completely...just as long as it IS duplicate programming!!!

#10 - Ok, doesn't this totally contradict your statement in item #7??? I for one am very grateful for Cinema 10 - sure, the movies are not current blockbusters....but I can usually find something interesting to watch.

Perhaps one of my High Priority Wish List Items would be for VoOm to continue generating and acquiring original HD content! I can see a day in the not-too-distant future where some of VoOm's HD Exclusives will be licensed to other Sat/Cable providers. Yep, even if VoOm fails to "take-off" as a viable DSB provider, I'm sure you'll see Monsters HD, Rush HD, Rave HD and the like via your local cable company.

Riff...<EOT>

1. Totally agree with reducing and naming cinema 10 channels. Get some movies I've actually heard of, ie. Jaws, Star Wars, Scarface, Ben Hur, etc. I'm looking at the cinema 10 lineup right now and there isn't a thing i want to watch. How about a Sci-Fi movie channel in the absence of the Scifi network?
2. Along this same line, when I think EpicsHD, I want EPICS. Ben Hur, Gladiator, Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus, Master and Commander. Those are Epic-type movies. "The Big Sleep"? Never heard of it, but apparently its an epic. MonstersHD is really cool, but how about more recent movies mixed in with the classics? Where's Gary Oldman's Dracula? Where's DeNiro's Frankenstein?
3. Get HDNET and INHD1/2. No brainer.
4. A DVR is a must. I know they are working on it, but I don't have it right now so its a wish.
5. OTA Manual Scan. Same as #4.
6. RSNs in some form, SD or HD.
7. Lose the phone line requirement. Probably will never happen, but its on my list.
8. Get NFL Sunday ticket when D*'s contract expires. NOW THERE'S A WISH! :D

EDIT:9. Live or Taped labels on WorldSport.
10. The guide starting with the channel I'm currently on. How hard is this??

I think getting rid of sd premiums is impossible. They are lumped into a contract with voom and it is take it all or no dice. Sort of like the espn classic, I mean, who cares.

Be patient, guys, I'll bet getting the newer films cost a lot more money than what we are currently getting. Even HDNET Movies with the deal they signed for hundreds of movies, none of them have shown up yet. Hopefully as the sub count grows, so will the movie offers.

1. Latest movies for a $1.00 on ppv channels in HD (I think they would sell many more than Direct/Dish by keeping price low & not having all day ticket).

2. More channels that are currently on other providers...example:TechTv,Food,DIY,etc.

3. Better PQ on ALL channels not just some.

4. Free Voom T-shirt to all subscribers. (What better way than word of mouth...people ask and we tell them how cool it is)

I kind of agree with people about Cinema 10 channels. But I guess VOOM has them for at least two reasons: 1. beef up the number of HD channels for marketing; 2. Place holder. I like astrossuperfan's comments that if VOOM can get some more popular movies on Cinema 10 channels, things will be different... In short, I believe VOOM got enough bandwidth, keep improving the content should be the priority. If the bandwidth is tight, they can always put more movies in each Cinema channel and leave room for other goodies...

My wish list.

1. PPV, PPV, PPV, and PPV!
2. Better STB (fix all problems before releasing)
3. More channels (HD or SD) as long as they are free
4. Better remote (please please please)
5. Better user interface (please please please)
6. Better movies on cinema 10 (omg please)
7. MORE movies on cinema 10
8. DVR,DVR,DVR, and DVR!
9. Dual LNB satellite Dish
10. Voom to give timeline of new equipment and channels.
11. Better installers (including company's who install)
12. More locations to buy. (99% I have told about it never heard of it)
13. About 300 things that have been posted by me a 100 times........

riffjim4069 said:
Dragon,

#5 - Having had a bad OTA experience, I can honestly say that Joe Harkins is eager to right many of my installation wrongs. My take on this matter: 50% blame to Installs Inc. for contracting, and not adequately training, multiple levels of subcontactors (VooM-->Installs Inc.-->Datalink-->Independent Installer-->Joe Blow--> etc.) - Yikes!!! Too many moving parts to quickly weed-out the rubes & dolts. IMHO, the other 50% is due to VooM's inadequate Compensation Policy: inadequate compensation = inexperienced installers with poor attitudes.

#7 - Completely disagree! I love the Cinema 10 format and "things" will only get better as Rainbow Media continues to generate and acquire HD content. Cinema 10 is going to be an AWESOME and UNIQUE product in a year or two. Personally, I love the 24-hour repeat format, but perhaps they can look at changing this after releasing a DVR.

#8 - I agree completely...just as long as it IS duplicate programming!!!

#10 - Ok, doesn't this totally contradict your statement in item #7??? I for one am very grateful for Cinema 10 - sure, the movies are not current blockbusters....but I can usually find something interesting to watch.

Perhaps one of my High Priority Wish List Items would be for VoOm to continue generating and acquiring original HD content! I can see a day in the not-too-distant future where some of VoOm's HD Exclusives will be licensed to other Sat/Cable providers. Yep, even if VoOm fails to "take-off" as a viable DSB provider, I'm sure you'll see Monsters HD, Rush HD, Rave HD and the like via your local cable company.

Riff...<EOT>

riffjim, I strongly believe Voom must place standards on the manner in which their product is installed. The sat industry has to do this! The fact of installations taking 2 or 3 attempts to complete is unacceptable. Voom must do a better job of controlling their installations. They're at the mercy of an outsourced company - who is at the mercy of uneducated/under paid installers to get their service TO THE CONSUMER! This has tragic consequences. How many potential customers have been lost because their service install had been pushed back. Without a firm customer base, they paying customer loses out on value and service. I went through Joe Harkins too to get my services installed(took a month). I would have never known to go to Joe if it weren't for this forum. How many people would have known what to do? Most would have simply cancelled their install.

Sorry Riff, I also feel strongly that Cinema 10 is absolute garbage. I love the format, but the content is sad. I feel that Voom is pushing those 10 channels for bragging rights to state that they have 21 EXCLUSIVE channels. It's a marketing pitch, one that's received the wrath of the industry. I didn't even have Voom yet, when I read several high profile magazine reviews ripping Cinema 10. Keep the format, and shrink it down to 5 watchable movies. Free up that space for something else... I don't care... WE HDTV, or hell... HGTV HDTV!!! Doesn't matter! :p

rexoverbey said:
2. Better STB (fix all problems before releasing)
10. Voom to give timeline of new equipment and channels.

No company does these things. If you're a sat provider, and you can release a DVR tomorrow with a couple of small bugs that can be fixed later OR release the DVR 5 months from now that is fixed, you release it NOW. The box in 5 months from now might be obsolete by the time you release it anyways.

Timelines are not gonna happen because it gives your competition a chance to get a huge promotion ready for the day you release something new. Imagine Voom gets a DVR a week from now and everyone knows it. If I'm D* or E*, I drown out this announcement with a mega-promotion to steal Voom's thunder. Plus, channels are added before the ink dries on the contracts. You can't predict that on a timeline.

Ain't Capitalism grand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts