Improvement Wish List for Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
VOOM WISHLIST

1. Keep the Cinema 10 at 10 films. I am more likely to find 2 or 3 out of 10 that I like than 2 or 3 out of 5.

2. Add a Sci-Fi channel for movies.

3. See what you can do to get HDNET.

4. For my wife's support during this trial period it would sure help if you had the Food channel.

5. Stay at 1080i where ever you can.

6. Do something about your satellite elevation which is very low here on the West Coast. My installer said only 3 of 8 installs worked due to this problem.

7. Keep your prices competitive. You are charging $14 for HBO and Direct TV is charging only $12.

8. Don't split off HD groups and charge premium fees like Direct TV ($10.99 for HD package)

9. Try not to repeat the same news special features day after day. Give scores of European sports like Soccer & Rugby.

10.Try to get more outlets signed up like Circuit City or Best Buy.

Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr, Dvr!!!!

My biggest wish/concern is that no matter what happens to Voom in the future. I hope that all of these wonderful HD channels get picked up by someone, anyone, just tell me where to send the check :)

No company does these things.

LOTS of companies do these things. The HD STB isn't a new technology to begin with. Directv relased their first HD stb years ago. It isn't like an hd dvr where as that is a new technology. Voom should have done better testing on their set top boxes long before release. Why do you think magazines are giving bad reviews of the STB? Because it is lacking compared to the other 100 hd boxes available.

As for timelines all kinds of companies do this in the technology field (ATI, NVidia, Intel, AMD and I think they are doing okay :) ). Even vooms hd dvr was announced in September of last year. So why can't they keep us current on new upgrades, etc?

Tvlman said:
VOOM WISHLIST

1. Keep the Cinema 10 at 10 films. I am more likely to find 2 or 3 out of 10 that I like than 2 or 3 out of 5.

I completely agree.

Tvlman said:
I would support that too. Just add variety! I don't understand why would anyone want to reduce the number of HD channels before the 39-channel limit is reached? And with MPEG4 and WMV9 coming soon that 39-channel limit is not even an issue.

Improvements
1) "Grey Bars" for 4:3 material (For CRT guys like me)
2) More than one favorites list
3) Planner auto to "View" instead of "Remind"
4) More new content for Cinema 10

Wish List
1) DVR and/or Firewire Out
2) No required phone line (We have a cabin AND motor home)
3) RF Remote

Mandetory
1) Continue to add HD channels as they launch (TNT-HD, TCM-HD, etc)

Good job Voom, keep up the good work.

rexoverbey said:
Because it is lacking compared to the other 100 hd boxes available.

And those boxes are bug free right? :rolleyes: Have you seen the bug reports on the Dish receiver 811? That's an HD box, and it's FULL of bugs.

And those boxes are bug free right?

I had 3 directv recievers with no bugs. The zenith sat520 was the best box I ever used. And Echostar quit shipping the 811 until all bugs where fixed. They put them on backorder and are now shipping again. Hmm... Does Voom need to do this?

I had 3 directv recievers with no bugs. The zenith sat520 was the best box I ever used. And Echostar quit shipping the 811 until all bugs where fixed. They put them on backorder and are now shipping again. Hmm... Does Voom need to do this?
Look over on the Dish forum. The 811 is not "bug free" -- far from it. The 811 still lacks some key functionality, like guide information on OTA channels.

The latest DirecTV receivers have several prominent issues, discussed over on the AVS Forum. DirecTV just released new software this week to address many of these problems. Some people notice these issues, others do not; the same is true of the VOOM STB software.

That's not to say that the VOOM STB is the equal of the latest DirecTV receivers; it clearly is nowhere close in terms of functionality, usability, and reliability. VOOM has a long way to go before it can claim feature parity with the latest D* boxes. That said, I look forward to the upcoming VOOM STB software release to see what progress has been made in the past two months.

I agree also on Cinema 10, go down to 5 channels and drop the fluff!

1. Guide, when I hit Voom I want the guide to come up, and start as my first OTA channel, not 100.

2. Drop the music channels! Who cares :)

3. Sci Fi Channel, they have until June when the new SG1 starts or I might switch. We watch about 5 shows and one of them happens to be on Sci Fi.

4. Sports - More US Content, I'm tired of flipping through poor quality HD Soccer

5. HD Net!

6. Drop HD News until its something more than 2 minute loop.

The 811 is not "bug free"

I think it is more feature problems instead of bugs. If you look at what they complain about compared to us. As for the D* stb I never had any problems w/ the SAT520 and the sony is the same box. Maybe their newer ones have bugs ( I don't keep up w/ all the hd directv boxes) I don't know.

name those freakin cinema10 channels!!!! so if i want drama i go to dramahd, westernhd, comedyhd etc!

quick quiz, what kind of movies is cinema6? uh uh uh uh

name those freakin cinema10 channels
No one is agruing the naming conventions. We just want to keep 10 channels.

They could have this as an example....

1. Action HD
2. Comedy HD
3. Classics HD
4. Drama HD
5. Latest HD
6. Detective film HD
7. Westerns HD
8. Science-fiction HD
9. Adventure HD
10. Documentary HD

I think they are actually close to doing this. Have you noticed the new channel names they are currently using in those previews between programs?

Yep. Looks like they are doubling up on Classics and Westerns. I'm hoping classification doesn't narrow the scope (i.e. where would 'Jubilee' and 'Wild in the Streets' fit in?) I guess they could go under "Drama" but they are more cult than just "Drama" would imply.

FYI: Here are the individual names of Cinema10 channels, the way they are currently listed. VOOM is even experimenting with individual logos:

101: HD Cinema Drama
102: HD World Cinema
103: HD Cinema Comedy
104: More HD Cinema Drama
105: HD Cinema Action
106: HD Cinema Crime
107: HD Cinema Classics
108: More HD Cinema Classics
109: HD Cinema Gunslingers
110: More HD Cinema Gunslingers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)