in the dog house after 5 years

everyone always says they do more harm then good. wheres the data for this? obviously dish feels their is worth in doing what they do. for every good cust that leaves because of audit, im sure they got rid many more who were stealing to make it worth it. its called collateral damage.

Here's the thing, Dish Network accuses those that they THINK are stealing the service and shut people off that they THINK done something wrong. Of all those people that Dish Network thought they "caught" may have been people that were wrongly accused. So Dish Network might be thinking that they caught a bunch of people when they are wrong so they may not be catching as many people as they think they are in the act.

I'm not sure what you mean by "two way," but no Dish Network Dish sends any data at all. None, zero zip. Not a single bit of data is send to orbit FROM the dish. I read through that link (a great read, by the way, thanks), but it says nothing about a dish sending data.

Edit: I saw something in there about LNBs communicating with onsite switches, but not with orbital locations.

Last edited:
Note to DISH: You've got people in the area's all the time. It's not too hard to go look at a dish at someones house and see what they have. If they have "6" receivers on their account and only 2 lines coming off the dish and you don't see a switch anywhere. 1. It could be a stacked account. 2. They may have those receivers and a switch located inside the house. Either way confirm the suspicion first and then do something. Don't just assume everyone with multiple receivers is stealing from you.

Note to Dish: If you ever so much as think about checking up on me at my house because you think I'm stealing something you will leave with every bit of Dish Network equipment I have and I'll file a harassment suit against you. I have one receiver, so that would never happen, but I am surprised to see so many customers supporting such draconian methods against paying customers. Guilty until proven innocent? At Dish it may be so...

What information is asked for during an audit? I have read reference to serial numbers on the receiver and references to a number taken from the system info screen.

If hooking your receiver to a phone line or the internet avoids the audit why not just hook it up? I realize that might be easier said than done but there are options.

We keep the phone line hooked up because of the caller ID, but after reading about the audit I would keep it hooked up anyway.

Since I would not have any idea that audits are legitimate if I didn't read this forum, I would more than likely either not answer, not call back, or ask the caller for a number to call back to verify. Too many scams out there these days. Also Dish never calls my house, so my first reaction would be scam or telemarketer, not quasi official business.

Ross

Note to DISH: You've got people in the area's all the time. It's not too hard to go look at a dish at someones house and see what they have. If they have "6" receivers on their account and only 2 lines coming off the dish and you don't see a switch anywhere. 1. It could be a stacked account. 2. They may have those receivers and a switch located inside the house. Either way confirm the suspicion first and then do something. Don't just assume everyone with multiple receivers is stealing from you.

Some installers do check this, when I had my DVR upgrade the DirecTV tech asked how I had 6 receivers on my account when I only had 4 lines going in the house, until I showed him the 2nd dish on the back of my house, and the receivers.
My house was built in 1961 and was added on twice, it was easier to put up a 2nd dish myself originally then have two long complicated wire runs from the primary dish.

Of course this was the only tech out of many over the years who has ever checked this. The tech who did my Mpeg-4 HD upgrade just installed the dish and checked the signal. I'm sure some Dish/Direct techs might keep an eye out for this? Do the techs have any instructions on looking for account stacking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)