In the mood to make something, linear Dish 500

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It is ASKEW! Found 10 points on vertical TP

Hi all, I was puzzled why I could get enough signal quality on some of the stronger horizontal TP on 97w with my little dish but could not get a lock on the stronger vertical TP on the same satellite. After thinking about it a bit I decided to try moving the dish skew 90 degrees from where it should be and then spun the LNB 90 degrees from where it should be and sure enough I got about 10 points on the signal quality and was able to get a solid lock on Daystar and some other channels on vertical TP.

Looks like the little dish has a sweet spot in one direction, I never noticed this on my bigger Ku dishes but then I'm not looking for every last bit of gain.

Just found it interesting and wanted to share.

Later, DC

Attachments

• askew.jpg
    askew.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 147
did the horizontal TP's quality suffer?

Hi Iceberg, yes after the dish skew change I could not lock onto any of the horizontal TP.

Next I want to try the NBC MUX on 72w. The last time I tried I could not quite get a lock but now that I'm aware of the gain I can get by changing the dish skew for the vertical TP it might just work.

Later, DC

Hi DC,
I was wondering where you are located, as I can get the NBC mux on 72W with very good SQ. When I'm working around the garage, I plop the 500 dish outside and I tune in the NBC MUX to listen to the stock reports.

Have you figured out a way to fine tune the elevation??
Mike Lib

Hi DC,
I was wondering where you are located, as I can get the NBC mux on 72W with very good SQ. When I'm working around the garage, I plop the 500 dish outside and I tune in the NBC MUX to listen to the stock reports.

Have you figured out a way to fine tune the elevation??
Mike Lib

Hi Mike, I'm near Orlando Florida.

Regarding the elevation - I do the course elevation on the dish bracket with the base leveled then I fine tune using the eye bolts. Another words after I peak the dish the base might not be level anymore. Works great, just have to remember to re-level it if I want to point at a different satellite.

Later, DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts