Increase your free time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Want to get more free time?? Just try to change a priority on your HD10-250 season pass manager!! In the time it took mine to change one (27min) I could have mowed the lawn, took a shower and shaved, mounted a Dish 1000!!! Not having the 6.2 upgrade and not knowing what the new HD DVR can do is really tainting my thoughts on keeping D*. Sorry guys, just needed to rant!! I emailed D* durring this wait and made it clear that IMHO it is a mistake not giving the HD10 the 6.2 and that I was not trying for anymore credits.(he he) Hope my loyalty is not in vain. Anyone else have thoughts on this cause I know its kind of a dead issue, mute point, wait and see, and l just needed to GO OFF cause it seems you guys are the only ones LISTENING!!!!---Ray

I dont understnad it either. I love the machine but its slowwwwwwwwww. You would think that they would want their best equipment to work as well as it can. I cannot believe it has to be this bad. Even pressing the record button takes far too long for the clock logo to clear and for it to start working. Both guides are slow IMO. One is just unbearable and the other frustrating. And those are just the simple items :rolleyes:

I knew I was not alone with this issue and you would think D* would try to do something just to avoid defection to another service. The obvious solution is the 6.2 upgrade, and how simple is that?? Ok, even if it won't last long, and costs money, it would still keep us happy till the change over to mpeg4 is available. With the Sat deployment delayed they should have had some sort of backup plan in place. Kinda sounds like FEMA to me. Tks for backing me up on this guys cause I'm pissed!!--Ray

Emailed D* again with a slight more verbage as before. (I've got to stop drinking!) I think they really need to throw us a bone on this one. I mean if they are willing to upgrade the SD units do they really think that those of us with the HD units won't take advantage of the free conversion??? They could have done the 6.2 upgrade to everyone over the same period of time as it took the SD units or just a little longer and all of us would be happy. Narrow minded bastards!! Damn, didn't think I could spell this good this drunk!!---Ray

It may be slow, but it works...

Check out the E* forums to see people who only WISH their boxes were just slow...

Purogamer said:
It may be slow, but it works...

Check out the E* forums to see people who only WISH their boxes were just slow...

That's a great point! I finally traded in my 921 for a 942 and saw some improvement, but my HR10-250 is still my primary box.

Getting back on topic I thought I heard that the HR10-250 was slow due to the processor and the s/w wouldn't make a great improvement. That may have just been propaganda though. At this point I'd be happy with even a marginal increase in speed. The guide doesn't really bother me, but changing priorities is just ridiculous! :eek:

D*s Reply

Recieved 2 emails today from D* concerning my complaints. The first covered the 6.2 upgrade and the person responding did not fully read my email or it was a auto response using "upgrade" as the keyword cause it said I would recieve the 6.2 via phone etc, and to check D*s website if my DVR would get it. We all know the HD10-250 will not get this software anytime soon. The 2nd covered my complaint of the exsessive time it takes to change a Season Pass Priority. I was told that a Rep will call me to see what they can do to satisfy me. More credits of some sort I'm sure, but thats not what I'm all about.(but I'll take) The point is if we have to continue using this DVR untill the HMC and the new HD DVRs come out (sometime late next yr or 2007?) why is this unit NOT getting the upgrade? Seriously, is it that involved or cost that much to do? I thought D*s "goal" was to make our TV viewing as pleasing as possible.(LOL). I really do not understand.--Ray

I don't really get it. Have had Tivos since the beginning and received my HD10-250 a couple of months ago. Yep it is slower. It doesn't bother me. It is what it is. I'm happy that it exists, it does what it is suppose to do, and I cant imagine that anyone would defect to E* or anywhere else because of it's supposed lack of speed. If that is reason enough to change than your looking for reasons. oh and why don't you change the priority, go do your other list of things and then come back, do you really need to sit and watch the priority change?

Personally I think Tivo needs to change their logo from their "cute" little TV thing to the hour glass, but only put this logo on the HR10's. We HD-Tivo people know ALL to well what the hour glass looks like don't we? :( My HR10 was going REALLY slow (even slower than it usually does) last night so I finally got tired of it and I rebooted it. It sped it back up to it's normal slowness.

The thing I hate the most is not the dreaded wait on the SP priority change, it's pressing a button on the remote, waiting a couple of seconds, assuming the thing didn't catch it, pressing it again only to find out it DID catch it the first time and then watching the dumb machine try to execute two or three commands at once.:mad:

As one poster said above about the Dish DVR's though, I'm still happy as hell to have the HR10, even with it's slowness. I'd rather have a slow reliable machine than a fast POS. 1 month is all I could stand with the Dish 522 DVR. That thing was such a steaming pile that I cancelled my account with Dish after 7 years just to get away from all their DVR's.

Listen FlyingJ(nice truckstops by the way) I feel like most of us that the "basic" features of the HD10 can't be beat and I'm not "looking" for reasons for leaving D* and have told them so. I guess after having the HDVR2 since it came out, and then shelling out what I did for the 63hr upgraded version by weeKness, I expected more for my buck or at least the same performance as the HDVR2! Can you blame me? Like Kbohip said, you hit the now playing list and 5-7 seconds later it finally comes up. What really started this was last weeks Survivor was not recording like it should and to fix it durring a commercial I went to change the Season Pass priority which resulted in almost missing the whole show! Maybe it was my mistake to try to do it when I did but I never expected the result. No one has answered my question about how difficult or costly it would be for D* to try to fix this or if the 6.2 upgrade would even help? If I could get a reasonable explanation I'd shut up!!---Ray

Lol Ray, I get it. I guess perception is different alsobetween those that bought the damn things when they were a thousand bucks and those of us that seemingly got them for a song. maybe the good news is that I guess we will only have this equipment for the time being. Hopefully when the new rollout and swap comes down (which I don't even understand) these issues wll go away. Maybe all H10's are not born equal, my now playing list pops up in about 2 seconds. Don't get near that season pass priority during normal viewing times! Good luck! FlyingJ

Spoke to a very up on things D* retention and tech rep a few miniutes ago who said he'd been with D* " way longer that I'd been a customer". He didn't understand the HD10 not getting the upgrade but it won't cause of the mpeg4 roll out. New DVR can't cashe 2 shows at once now but the goal is to mirror the TIVO and to add more features. Maybe the HD DVR will be able to. Launch date may be pushed back to Dec but thats a rumor he heard. 1st gen HMC will only have 1 HD output. So.... Don't really know anymore now than before, and we're stuck with what we've got. Its strange. Sometimes my HD10 seems as fast as the HDVR2 and everything goes quicker and then its slow as molases rolling down a hill in January. Makes me think theres a turbo HD10 inside dying to get out!! Thanks for hearing my rants guys. Hope the future holds better and faster things.--Ray

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)