Indoor HD antenna

hey guys im in north ft worth and just moved about 10 miles from the antenna farm but now im kinda far away. here is my info i would love to have a indoor antenna as my new house is a 2 story.

yellow - uhf KDTN-DT 2.1 DAY DENTON TX 136° 30.4 43
yellow - uhf KERA-DT 13.1 PBS DALLAS TX 133° 28.8 14
yellow - uhf KXTX-DT 40.1 TEL DALLAS TX 133° 27.9 40
yellow - uhf KTVT-DT 11.1 CBS FORT WORTH 132° 28.8 19
yellow - uhf KTXA-DT 21.1 UPN FORT WORTH 136° 30.5 18
yellow - uhf KSTR-DT 49.1 UNI IRVING TX 136° 30.5 48
yellow - vhf WFAA-DT 8.1 ABC DALLAS TX 134° 27.5 9
yellow - uhf KXAS-DT 5.1 NBC FORT WORTH 133° 27.9 41
yellow - uhf KPXD-DT 68.1 i ARLINGTON 133° 27.4 42
yellow - uhf KUVN-DT 23.1 UNI GARLAND TX 133° 27.6 24
yellow - uhf KDAF-DT 33.1 WB DALLAS TX 136° 30.5 32
yellow - uhf KFWD-DT 52.1 IND FORT WORTH 133° 27.7 51
yellow - uhf KDFW-DT 4.1 FOX DALLAS TX 134° 27.5 35
lt green - uhf KDTX-DT 58.1 TBN DALLAS TX 133° 27.6 45
red - uhf KDFI-DT 27.1 IND DALLAS TX 136° 30.5 36
violet - uhf KMPX-DT 30.1 DAY DECATUR TX 88° 20.8 30

For MDP1116:
If you want to try an indoor antenna the best one is probably the Zenith "Silver Sensor" (also sold under the Philips brand) or the Terk "look-alike" the HDTVi. People have reported good performance out to 30 miles in some cases. I would think your location was marginal but it is worth a try. You may get all the stations but not reliably. You can get the Silver Sensor at Best Buy, sometimes at Lowes and Home Depot. It comes in non-amplified and amplified versions, I am told the non-amplified version is actually a better antenna, but I have no personal experience.
If that does not work then return it and go for a CM4228 on a tripod in the attic. Probably have to order it on-line, when I bought mine Warren Electronics had the best price.

I went to Fry's today before work and they didn't have much to choose from. I came out with a RCA Ant525 Indoor. I will give this a try, I'm 50/50 right now on this selection. I think they also have the Zenith Silver Sensor and I will try that next. If those two don't work, I will give the CM4228 a try. texasbrit, how big is the CM4228 and if my attic is small, could I use it with out the tripod?

The CM4228 is a rectangle about 40 inches by 36 inches, http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=ANC4228&main_cat=03&CAT=

So it's not one of these massively long VHF/UHF antennas that are very difficult to set up in an attic. You need to mount it on an antenna mast (Fry's, Lowes, Home Depot) and a tripod is usually the easiest way to do it. My guess is you need a minimum of about 4ft 6inches in height, and at least 42inches to turn it in, so you can align the antenna.

The RCA antenna is just an updated set of "rabbit ears" and I would be surprised if you can get consistent and stable reception. The Silver Sensor is pretty well accepted as the best indoor antenna and the CM4228 as the best UHF antenna. Of course antenna selection and placement is an art not a science, your situation will be different from everyone elses (even your next door neighbor) so all you can do is experiment. But if the Silver Sensor does not work for you I strongly suggest you go for the CM4228.

My attic is a crawl space, as the house was built in the 1950's. Any other ideas after I try the Silver Sensor? The CM4228 may have to be past on because of space limit. Maybe a smaller version of the CM4228?

None of the smaller UHF antennas will get you VHF so no WFAA channel 8.1 (it's transmitted on channel 9). You would need a VHF/UHF combo antenna. The UHF side of the combo antennas is generally not as good as a UHF only antenna. A suitable combo antenna will be very large - 8 to 10 ft long and wide - but maybe only a couple of feet high. Some people have had success just laying one of these across the rafters on the attic, but it's a poor solution.
The CM4228 mounted outside is the right solution if there is no joy with the Silver Sensor.

since i am about 37-41 miles from cedar hill now instead of 10 miles im gonna try the terk hdtvi with a booster on it.

texasbrit said:
None of the smaller UHF antennas will get you VHF so no WFAA channel 8.1 (it's transmitted on channel 9). You would need a VHF/UHF combo antenna. The UHF side of the combo antennas is generally not as good as a UHF only antenna. A suitable combo antenna will be very large - 8 to 10 ft long and wide - but maybe only a couple of feet high. Some people have had success just laying one of these across the rafters on the attic, but it's a poor solution.
The CM4228 mounted outside is the right solution if there is no joy with the Silver Sensor.

has anyone herd or tried this antenna? NEWPOINT Argo XP Amplified Lifestyle Antenna
HDTV Amplified Antenna

mdp1116 said:
since i am about 37-41 miles from cedar hill now instead of 10 miles im gonna try the terk hdtvi with a booster on it.

I'd never heard of it - the only review I found said it performed about the same as the Silver Sensor.

Amplifiers/boosters are useful but they can't create a signal if the antenna is not picking it up in the first place. For example if you are getting a "strength" reading of 45 and you need 55 to get a decent stable picture an amplifier can help. But zero amplified is still zero. And remember signal "strength" is really a quality measure so if you have multipath it won't improve, and the amplifier amplifies the noise the same as the signal so may not help at all.

Unfortunately antennas are driven by the laws of physics. Modern technology can help, but at the end of the day nothing beats a good basic antenna design!

i would like to find someone who lives out in the park glen north ft worth area just to see how well of a signal they are getting and what they are using.

texasbrit said:
I'd never heard of it - the only review I found said it performed about the same as the Silver Sensor.

Amplifiers/boosters are useful but they can't create a signal if the antenna is not picking it up in the first place. For example if you are getting a "strength" reading of 45 and you need 55 to get a decent stable picture an amplifier can help. But zero amplified is still zero. And remember signal "strength" is really a quality measure so if you have multipath it won't improve, and the amplifier amplifies the noise the same as the signal so may not help at all.

Unfortunately antennas are driven by the laws of physics. Modern technology can help, but at the end of the day nothing beats a good basic antenna design!

I received a few Spanish stations with the Silver Sensor and that was it. I will return that to Fry's and pick up the CM3010 Stealth Antenna. Fry's only has much larger antenna's after the Stealth. I checked on the Stealth and it will pick up Yellow and Green. I also got the go ahead on placing a mast outside. Hopefully this setup will work. I have a 2 part question, should I get the optional CM3038 Amplifier for the Stealth and what thoughts does anyone have on this setup? Thanks.

wait on the amp till you see how you make out reception wise after you install the other antenna.

never used a stealth so I can not honestly comment

Well, anything's worth a try I guess. As I said, your situation is different from your neighbor. But the CM3010 does not seem to have any positive reviews particularly at your distance from the transmitter. The manufacturer's rating - which is usually optimistic - is 30 miles on UHF. It's better with the amplifier, although see my comments about amplification! .
The only one of these "unusual" "HDTV" antennas that has got generally positive reviews is the Winegard Square Shooter - comes in amplified and non-amplified versions. But it's pretty expensive, and not very good on VHF (WFAA).

Sorry, bigb - I confused you with the mdp thread.
At your distance from the transmitters the CM3010 with the amp might possibly work. I've seen good reviews out to about 18 miles but nothing beyond that. The comparitive tests of the CM3010 with the silver sensor show the SS to be the better antenna but since you are mounting the 3010 outdoors that may be enough to give it the edge. But don't be surprised if you still only get a few stations or if the signals are not stable. The 3010 is very susceptible to multipath.

texasbrit, I think that I will go with the CM4228 from Warren Electronics. I will mount it with a mast in the ground and secured to the wall. Any place particular to get the mast and wall brackets? Any other accessories?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)