info on DTV slimline w/ SL5PIG-P

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I was given a DTV slimline dish today in the transfer station line. The dish is 32" X 22" so it somewhat small as is. I have not found enough infor on the triple LNB to do me any good. Since this is 3 LNBs on one bar, are they able to be easily split apart and if so would any of them be linear and if so are they bandstacked of ??? the way it looks, from the front of the dish, all 3 lnbs are on the right side and the (left side) cover is broken off at the arm.
I tried to search, but either I do not know how to use search or there is not the answers I need.
TNX POP

the lnbs are no good for FTA use and the dish is kinda small.....personally i dont think its worth the time and effort to modify it for FTA....you are better off purchasing a new 36-39 inch dish with linear lnb....

are the LNBs circular or is there another reason they are not usable? You might see from my signature that for the most part I will not need to buy more dishes. I do like the looks of the mount, so i am thinking about trying to use it someday - maybe in 3 years or something. I like my P* 75E for traveling, but the lighter dish .... who knows. IF I can make an LNB work without too much problem.
Since I could find nothing about the LNB by search, I thought I would ask.
Thanks as we go,
POP

rv1pop said:
I was given a DTV slimline dish today in the transfer station line. The dish is 32" X 22" so it somewhat small as is. I have not found enough infor on the triple LNB to do me any good. Since this is 3 LNBs on one bar, are they able to be easily split apart and if so would any of them be linear and if so are they bandstacked of ??? the way it looks, from the front of the dish, all 3 lnbs are on the right side and the (left side) cover is broken off at the arm.
I tried to search, but either I do not know how to use search or there is not the answers I need.
TNX POP
If the boresight one seems wider than a normal 12GHz tube, thats because there are more Feedhorns jammed together.

Search for Ka Or Ka/Ku LNBF.

All of the LNB are circular.

This LNB places the downconverted Ka band outside the usual 900MHz-2200MHz

I have one of the 5 LNBF models that I was going to use a 75e feedhorn on it Slimline. Never got to work on it last spring.

The 5 LNBF catches 119w Ku, 110W Ku, 103W Ka, 101W Ku, 99W Ka

The 3-LNBF catches 103W Ka, 101W Ku, and 99W Ka

EDIT: I take it you have one with Opaque LNBF caps

All the LNB's are circular
The 3 in 1 "big" LNB has 2 KA (not KU but KA band) LNB's onm the outsides...useless for FTA
The rest are circular and pretty much useless for KU.

I know folks have modded these by jamming a LNB in the end of it. There was a KU LNB that looked like the old "block" DBS LNB's. I had one a while back and they worked fine.

There have been a few members write 'em up a being good enough for some casual FTAing.
They would certainly be smaller to store in an RV.
Also, the mount they come with is designed to fine-tune in on a Ka bird, so they're very nice.
(keep the mount) - ;)
Would just be a matter of testing one to see if it works in the places you go, and for the signals you want.
Not too sure how to get an LNBF with a feedhorn to really take full advantage of the dish shape, though.
I know folks have modded these by jamming a LNB in the end of it.
There was a KU LNB that looked like the old "block" DBS LNB's.
I had one a while back and they worked fine.
Yea, until recently, SatelliteAV sold a good one.
I think he's since sold out and/or discontinued the product (low demand, no doubt).
But check his site to see what's current.

Here's a review of a similar unit a buddy wrote up a few years ago, if you want a picture:
Megasat MS1075 Dual Standard Linear 0.4db LNBF Mini-Review.

Last edited:
I have a slimline that I put a Dishnet 105 FSS lnb on.I can pick up a lot of channels on this small dish.I get something from all satellites from 61.5west to 125west. The only downside to my setup is the FSS lnb is band stacked and my openbox doesn't have the right L.O.F. but I make it work.

The Slimline is basically the same size as a Superdish. It will work for FTA, but not well on weak TPs. As others have said, the LNBF stack is useless, and you'll have to replace it with a linear LNBF. Might be good for RVing due to its smaller size. The LNBF arm is rather long and seems to get in the way quite a bit though...

I finally got my Slimline with a linear LNB set up on 125W. Here on the west coast it gets all the DVB-S signals - PBS HD and PBS - and OETA in DVB-S2, but not the other weaker DVB-S2 channels. I tried without success to get NBC HD in DVB-S2 on 103W, but the dish is just too small for that.
__
Neil

Followup to post #10 above.
Rescanned 125W today in good weather and got LPB and Montana PBS as well. YMMV.
___
Neil

Just get one of the linear lnb's that looks like the old DTV circular lnb. Drill a hole in the center end of the lnb support arm and it will mount right up at the correct focal distance. You can probably find one on ebay. I'm using the slimline with this setup and can pull in a pretty good signal on 30w. I get most all the transponders on 30w even during medium rain. Some will drop out during a heavy thunder storm.

nine days without usable internet! Satellite Guys withdrawal. I will have to wait until I get back home to try this out unless I drive thru Hillbilistan on my way home. We may go to Branson. I broke down the dish to get it into the car and it fits well. It does seem to be solid enough to travel with. The mount looks very good but the pipe is missing, so that wil not do me too much good for now, EXCEPT the lighter dishes are much easier to lean against a 5 gallon bucket of water or a 40 # propane tank to get a signal
Thanks to all for the inputs.
POP

I had this set up using a cheap adapter off ebay to mount a regular lnb. I eventually had it on a motor seeing 83-125 and was able to pick up everything except dvb-s2 signals with it using a spitfire .1db lnb. This is from the central valley in California (Modesto). My signal tended to be in the low 70's for quality for most tp's (using a Coolsat 7100).
You can see the setup in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/215851-directtv-slimline-fta-success.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)