Input for Dish on possible VOOM Changes Being Made

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Maybe Dish Network is learning a lesson from this. That they cannot do the same thing with the HD channels as the SD channels without as much of a difference being noticed. Is the fuzziness of the HD channels more than the fuzziness of the SD channels?

The four recently downconverted channels are still coming in around 15Mbit/s and 1280x1080i, as of 1am eastern.

I would not be surprised if this is how all of the local HD channels will end up being. Are the new DirecTv MPEG-4 HD locals being broadcasted in HD-Lite?

I'm sure Dish asked several people to provide feedback tomorrow. My email form letter asks me to do the same.

Those who are monitoring, please state if your readings are for 61.5, 129, or both. I receive only 61.5. They could be doing different things on the two birds.

I have said all along that I would be shocked if the HD Locals are in high-res with a high bitrate. Given that there will eventally be around 1500 of these, I can understand the desire to squeeze them a bit.

My priority is to retain high quality on the national channels. Locals is a future fight.

Stargazer said:
Is the fuzziness of the HD channels more than the fuzziness of the SD channels?

Well, as 1280x1080i is still significantly better than DVD, it isn't really that fuzzy. It just isn't real HD as we have come to know it. And as HDTV sets continue to improve, it would be a real shame if the source quality degradates.

I think that Dish is afraid to lose business to DirecTv and cable and wants to start somewhere and then later on in the future improve the HD quality but they can only do so much with the space that they have. Most people see the content more important than the quality. I think that the locals should be a lower resolution since there are going to be so many of them until they are all added then more emphasis can be made upon improving the quality. Then again if more people watch the locals than the basic stations then that could be another story. By the time this is accomplished IPTV may have taken hold which may change the way we watch tv once again just like DVR has. Also higher resolutions would probably already be broadcasting in several areas before all of the HD channels would be launched. Heck all of the SD locals havent even been added let alone adding them all in the HD format. They need to concentrate more on getting the basic and movie channels in HD first along with the rest of the SD markets launched then local HD's last.

They said it themselves, "The issue of HD picture quality is always a difficult one. Some of our HD customers want more programming while others want better quality. IN GENERAL, Dish Network provides HD content in whatever format we receive
from the providers..."

You can please part of the people part of the time but you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Gary Murrell said:
as of 4:00AM nothing has been so much as touched concerning Voom on 61.5 or 129, I think it was all a bunch of BS smoke and mirrors
-Gary

Gary, Appreciate the feedback, but it was obvious that for awhile last night there were some sort of adjustments being made. In the end, they apparently returned everything to the same setting we saw all weekend. Bob

Tom Bombadil said:
I'm sure Dish asked several people to provide feedback tomorrow. My email form letter asks me to do the same.

Those who are monitoring, please state if your readings are for 61.5, 129, or both. I receive only 61.5. They could be doing different things on the two birds.

Tom, I receive both 129 and 61.5--but have not found a way to switch short of placing aluminum foil over an LNB. My 6000u receiver "decides" which bird to watch. It is interesting, though, that the entire Voom line-up seems to always be either 61.5 or 129. It never seems to be a few channels from each different bird. Bob

I too received an email response and asked for feedback along with the normal form letter that they are receiving complaints on this issue and are working on it.

SatinKzo said:
I too received an email response and asked for feedback along with the normal form letter that they are receiving complaints on this issue and are working on it.

yeah the checks in the mail :p

jmcgee_jr said:
yeah the checks in the mail :p

Well, while I don't trust dish, I at least hold out some hope that they are realizing there are quite a few of us out there that notice the HD stuff and also know that it is monitored. We can't just roll over without at least trying.

I for one will provide feedback in the method they asked.

I think this is going to a "He said, She said". Sean reported that V* is sending 1280x1080 because that is what E* wants. E* saying that they are sending the exact signal that V* is providing them. They can put the blame on each other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts