Instalations dying!

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
I live in S. Central Nebraska and have been doing dish installs for 2 years and have done over 300 installs. Lately (the last two weeks) I have not installed more than 2 dishes. The offices (we have 3) say there is no work to be had. We sent out thousands of fliers and still nothing. I am a private contractor and have only made 90.00 this last week when i should be up to approximately 750.00. Is it really getting that slow or should i be looking for a new place to work for?

I am over in Eastern Pennsylvania. And although new to installations (2 Months) and today just got my SBCA results, 96%. I too have seen a drastic decrease in the number of installs that Im getting as well as 2 pay decreases. Still trying to find out what the industry standard is for pay rate. Perfect example: tomorrow I have 1 4 setter and its 53 miles from my front door.

the entire installation industry is going thru serious canges, and has been since before you got into it. both D and E...or the retailers/sub,sub,sub et al have required more of the "basic install" (read free phone line, free pole mount, wall fish, etc etc) while continually paying less and less. if you are making less then 70/20 you are being RIPPED OFF.

Not many of use strictly doi satellite any more but venture into CCTV, alarm systems, network, fiber optic ect.

Somethings you may want to consider looking at...if your not afraid of heights is cell tower work.
Ive been meaning to go apply for an electrical apprentiship. The thought of benifits, vacation...unemployment benifits is quite enticeing, allow i quite like the 70-80k i make a year swinging dishes...but i digress.

so yes you may want to consider your alternitives.

oh and one more thing. next time youre asked to havea rider for traing. just say NO. Your only hurting yourself.

good luck

str8poolbanger said:
I am over in Eastern Pennsylvania. And although new to installations (2 Months) and today just got my SBCA results, 96%. I too have seen a drastic decrease in the number of installs that Im getting as well as 2 pay decreases. Still trying to find out what the industry standard is for pay rate. Perfect example: tomorrow I have 1 4 setter and its 53 miles from my front door.

what are they pating you...lemme guess 50/20?

str8poolbanger said:
hell i could only wish....

50/10

and your buying material too and driving your own truck...you are LOSING MONEY!
THEY ARE RIPPING YOU OFF AND GETTING RICH OFF OF YOUR BACK. You are better off flipping burgers at McD's....im not bullshitting you...they are robbing you....buy working for those rates you are hurting ME and every other proffesiional installer in this country....DO NOT WORK for those bastards.

arrrrrrgh

Claude Im interested in working for those rates...I cover NW oregon/SW washington. Email me if youd like to talk.

Top quality work.

The "Owner" of the company I sub for is claiming that he gets 60/20 from the contract. I was kinda shocked to see myself getting such low numbers. However I did NOT have my certification yet (was waiting for the results), and I did NOT have my own insurance. On top of all that, he was keeping 13% for my insurance off my gross invoice. With someone with my little experience but certified and with own insurance, what should i EXPECT to make without haggling to get more, kinda like an industry standard? I was told nothing less than 60/20.

regardless he should still be paying 60/20 if your in your infancy.

You need to find a LOCAL RETAILER to work for. MODS pardon the language but f**k paying a middle man.

drop me an email and i can educate you a bit off line...

Claude Greiner said:
I pay $100/25/25/25 on a 4 set Job.

Pole mounts are an extra $25, however I expect phone lines run for Free on all 322's and 625's

Claude ,
If you need any installer in Indiana let me know.

Tyork
Sbca Cert.

Claude Greiner said:
I pay $100/25/25/25 on a 4 set Job.

Pole mounts are an extra $25, however I expect phone lines run for Free on all 322's and 625's

I'd kill for those numbers, and don't know of any techs making that much. The highest I've seen is 90/25. So like everyone else, if you need stuff in Eastern, PA near Lehigh Valley and surrounding areas drop me a line.

-Dave

str8poolbanger said:
I'd kill for those numbers, and don't know of any techs making that much. The highest I've seen is 90/25. So like everyone else, if you need stuff in Eastern, PA near Lehigh Valley and surrounding areas drop me a line.

-Dave

look at us like sharks on chum lol.

I do 70/30 from a local guy and feel its pretty fair considering i get a 25 trip per WO outside 50 miles from my front door. but 100/25/25/25...with that i can work
1/4 time and still have money in the bank... how much you pay for a sale?

In the end its better than 80/20...how many singles do you put in?

well when i have work i get 85.00 for the first 2 after that it 15.00 per receiver.
but its been really slow here.

t

I get 80/15, all supplies paid for, and am an employee - taxes covered. Have to use my own vehicle, tho. $50 if I bring in a DHA account.

I'm slow as molasses, but do only top-notch work. Sometimes my tip is more than the pay. :)
Considering gas prices and working in a rural area, sometimes that's REAL important.

When i was installing i was getting paid 90 for one tuner, 20 each addl tuner, 30 for TC/Change of Service.. and I was in the second teir. Top tier started at 100, but you had to be top notch to get that rating. $50+ install rates for a sale.

But you had your own insurance, own vehicle, own tools, buy all your supplies from them to guarentee they're up to spec (they were reasonably priced), and it was a rural setting, could easily pull 150-200 miles a day for 4 jobs.

Find out who the RSP is in your area. They will have the work for Dish. It is getting harder and harder to get work as a subcontractor.

Who ever you are subbing for is making a mint of you as well. I get more than that and I don't pay for anything but my truck. I get benifits as well. So look up the RSP.

str8poolbanger said:

-Dave

Sounds like Claude is going to have a BUNCH of techs applying ;). The trick is to find a gig like Simon has where you have decent rates AND taxes are taken care of. Hard to find both of those in a given situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)