Install details for a new ATT\DTV account?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mleland

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 16, 2004
Lake Almanor, CA
I am currently renting a room from a friend. I upgraded to an HD DVR a few weeks ago and got a non-swm dish installed.

My landlord is considering switching to a bundled account with ATT for dsl\phone\tv. She would need 1 HD-DVR, 1 SD DVR, and 2 SD non-dvr rcvrs. She would love to not have two of the larger dishes on her house. I understand she might get a SWM8 as part of the install. I see where the SWM8 supports the DVR rcvrs she is considering and the one I already have.

My question is about the SD non-dvr rcvrs. Do they work on the SWM8 using the "legacy" ports? Also does the cable need to be RG-6 for the SD non-dvr rcvrs?

I assume a "standard" install still includes new RG-6 cable run to the tv if needed?

I hope I can talk the dtv installer into leaving me a dish like the one that is already on the roof. I may move in the next 6 months and I really prefer to do my own installs if possible.

She will not get a SWM8 external switch. If they use a SWM, it will be a SWM LNB which does not have any legacy ports. If they are installing brand new SD receivers they will be SWM compatible. As long as your receiver along with the receivers she is having installed do not exceed 8 tuners (which by my count you'll be at 7) then a single SWM can service both your and her receivers.

You'll probably get the installer to reuse the existing dish and just put a new LNB on it if they are going to do SWM, but I highly doubt they'll just leave you an extra dish. Rewiring your receiver is "extra" work, so to make up for it they will probably keep the dish they would have otherwise installed.

Actually it would be 8 tuners. 3-dual tuner units and 2 SD single tunes. Thanks for the answer that the new SD units do support SWM contrary to everything I found on the SWM docs. It wouldn't make any sense to me to not have all rcvrs capable of SWM. Of course the docs I found might have been written right after the SWM stuff was introduced.

Ah, ok, I missed one of the DVRs. you are still ok with 8 tuners, though you won't be able to add additional receivers in the future without a new dish or converting over to a legacy (non-SWM) system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts