Installation Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AdamJonny

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Somewhere
Hello, I am new at this and in need of some help. I have been trying to aim the dish for two days now with no luck. Can't find my true south dish, but was finally able to lock on to a dish in the 110 spot; however, the receiver says I am locked on to 118 dish. The only channel that I have been able to get in is BYU International. My equipment and setup are listed in my signature, any help would be very much appreciated.

I'd leave the motor off for now, and concentrate on finding your true south satelllite, whatever that is. Find that sat in your list on the receiver and pick a transponder from it's list. Check TheLIST , here to compare/verify it is an active tp. Then work on finding your elev/azimuth for your location. Dishpointer.com is one place that will give you that info. Just a matter of slowly panning the dish east/west, while watching the receiver for signal activity. Small adjustments to the elevation may have to be made in order to hit that first satellite.
Record your elevation then, and mark on the pole/bracket so you don't lose the location.
You should have the skew set for your south sat also, usually it's zero skew for true south.

I used dishpointer.com and am assuming that 85w AMC 16 is my true south dish; however the transponders from the list don't match the transponders in the receiver for the 85w dish. Do I need to add transponders?

Think your true south is out a little, BYU is on 116.8 W. the easist way to know your true south is to log your address into Google earth.com and hover the mouse over your location. It will show your longitude which is your true south.

Think your true south is out a little, BYU is on 116.8 W. the easist way to know your true south is to log your address into Google earth.com and hover the mouse over your location. It will show your longitude which is your true south.
Ok, good that is what I thought... I know the longitude is -85.7N so the closest dish is the 85w. I have the motor set to my latitude, so I know that wasn't the problem.

Yes, add the tp's in your receiver's list if they aren't there for 85. there's color bars at 12182 H sr3979

The only channel that I am getting is BYU International. Did a power scan and that is it, nothing else.

What was the Transponder Freq?
If you are trying for 85 west and picked up the "BYU" channel, you may be on 89 west, as Iceberg said.
4 degrees is less than 1/16" inch twist on the Pole to the East.

What was the Transponder Freq?
If you are trying for 85 west and picked up the "BYU" channel, you may be on 89 west, as Iceberg said.
4 degrees is less than 1/16" inch twist on the Pole to the East.
Since I am at work, I don't remember what the transponder was. I was aiming for 110 (tp 12355 H 20000) when I picked up the signal after 2 days of failed attempts to hit my true south. On a side note the receiver identified the dish as 118 Ecostar.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. Late last night I set the dish to true south and with a stroke of luck locked on! I am now seeing the arc and am good to go! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts