installation questions (technical)

samgovol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
OK, I am installing a Dish system myself. I need some input from some of you who are experts at this. My problem is this, I would like to bring in my satellite signal to a receiver in one room (call this room A). I have 3 other rooms that I also need a signal coming into (room B, C, and D) but those rooms are all in different areas of the building (I know that I could split the signal after it comes out of the receiver to the other 2 TV's, although it would be the same channel). But here is my biggest problem, 2 of the Televisions (room B and C) are mounted to the ceiling (dont ask! ha) so, I could not put the receiver with either one of these because it would be in the attic (I am afraid of heat damage to the receiver). So would it be possible to put the receiver in room D and then take that signal back to rooms B and C with a splitter (without rewiring the entire building?). I know this is counfusing but I am trying to do this with only 2 receivers going to 4 rooms. Also can I use a Dish 500 Twin legacy to hook up to a 4700 receiver and then a new 301 Dish pro receiver?

Welcome aboard - you've come to the right place!
samgovol said:
So would it be possible to put the receiver in room D and then take that signal back to rooms B and C with a splitter (without rewiring the entire building?)?

Also can I use a Dish 500 Twin legacy to hook up to a 4700 receiver and then a new 301 Dish pro receiver?
Yes and yes.

You need a satellite feed to each satellite TUNER. Some E* boxes have 2 tuners - the 4700 & 301 do not.

You can send the output of these tuners to more than one TV, within some distance limitations which you will probably not run into, but even if you do, a video amplifier will help. Use RG-6 cable for everything. If you have existing TV-side cables, go ahead and try them, but be aware that old cable can be a problem.

Your biggest issues will be in controlling which satellite channel is shown - the remotes are IR and have limited range. That may not be a concern in your application.

P.S. Smart move to worry about heat issues. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)