Installed... with a bit of interesting info and comparison

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
Well, I had my install done yesterday. Nice guys, very professional. We had a good conversation about how everything would happen, and they were definately very familiar with Voom. One of them had just come out of a refresher class on Friday, and had an interesting tidbit. For free, they gave me an upgraded antenna model. They said we were in a test market, and Voom was giving a bigger allowance for things like that. Sadly I still can't tune a single damn local channel. Hooking it up to my OTA tuner gives me virtually the same readings as my Voom box. On Monday or Tuesday, he's bringing me an even bigger antenna :). Hopefully something can be done, because without locals there's no way I can convince the wife to keep it. Right now the antenna is run to a 12db amp, the back to a splitter for the two rooms.

Voom itself looks great. Despite what Wilt said should happen, I actually did get the software update. Channel changing it outstanding, my box seems stable, and I only occasionally have pixelation. Still need to run my surround sound. Sat signal is at 95, so I'm rocking.

Side by side comparison with Cox cable running from a Motorolla 6200. Both boxes DVI, running through a Geffen DVI switch. Side by side Discovery HD comparison, I still think the color depth of the Voom box is off. I hooked up the components and it was SO much warmer. I will freely admit that my TV is not tweaked for Voom, but in fairness it isn't tweaked for Cox either. The image is definately sharper on Voom as compared to Cox however.

My guys did an excellent job of running the Channel Master remote controlled rotor that I got. That thing is pretty freaking fun to play with :). All in all, I will be happy if the larger antenna gets me my locals. Otherwise, it's going to be a real fight to keep Voom in the house.

-MP

Glad you got some competent installers MP and that your happy sans your OTA stations.

The antenna they gave you, and the one they plan to bring, when you go to www.antennaweb.org does either comply to whats suggested for you to have to get reasonable assurances of getting your locals?

Not sure what model they plan to bring me, but the Yagi they put up does actually comply. Not sure why it's not giving me a decent signal :(. It does pick up the non-digital OTA stuff around here ok, but the digital broadcasts from the same tower can't peak above a 20 for strength.

-MP

I'm about 30 miles out. My signal level is 20 or so, but it's the same on my seperate OTA tuner also. So it's not the Voom box for once ;)

Ok, installed antenna is a Wineguard HD7084P. The amp they used on the other hand is a cheap-ass Philips amp, which amusingly enough isn't even a UHF amplifier. It's only VHF. And in looking at the mounting, they situated it so the damn thing points straight at a tree about 10' away where manyof my channels are. So, I'm a little less enthused about the job they did now that I've had time to diagnose the problem. The Voom install itself is great, but the antenna part of the deal was poorly done at best.

-MP

madpoet said:
I'm about 30 miles out. My signal level is 20 or so, but it's the same on my seperate OTA tuner also. So it's not the Voom box for once ;)

Mad,
signal power 20 will not do. If you are a capable tweaker hop on the roof and adjust the antenna.

That's my next step. I'm waiting for them to bring me my bigger (and still free) antenna and then I'll probably have to take over this operation ;)

madpoet said:
Ok, installed antenna is a Wineguard HD7084P. The amp they used on the other hand is a cheap-ass Philips amp, which amusingly enough isn't even a UHF amplifier. It's only VHF. -MP

I'm not familiar with that amp, but most single band amps block the "other" band. You'll probably do better by taking OUT that VHF amp!

I actually did... didn't improve anything. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a ladder and start climbing. My numbers seem more than a little weird to be honest.

Madpoet, are you surrounded by hills? From 30 miles out you should be able to get a decent signal with the Stealth that they provide. I'm 25 miles as the crow flies and have low hills in the distance between me and the towers and my Stealth picks up all the local Analog channels just fine. I already had a big Rat Shack antenna mounted so I used it with my Voom box.

Yes to the hills. The antenna they gave me is MUCH better than the stealth, but still nothing. In fact, I get the same exact signal strength regardless of whether the antenna is even plugged in to the box. Sooo... I'm guessing there's an install problem here.

madpoet said:
Yes to the hills. The antenna they gave me is MUCH better than the stealth, but still nothing. In fact, I get the same exact signal strength regardless of whether the antenna is even plugged in to the box. Sooo... I'm guessing there's an install problem here.

Do you get the same 20 signal level on the other receiver?

Those knuckle heads didn't by chance connect the OTA cable to the wrong connector on the back of the STB did they?

Yes. I get the same basic level of signal on my seperate OTA tuner as I do on the Voom box, both with and without the antenna connected. That's why I'm thinking something is seriously wrong.

As for where it is on the box... they connected it to the module which looks correct.

-MP

madpoet said:
Yes. I get the same basic level of signal on my seperate OTA tuner as I do on the Voom box, both with and without the antenna connected. That's why I'm thinking something is seriously wrong.

As for where it is on the box... they connected it to the module which looks correct.

-MP

The module is correct. You knew that already.

It seems it has to be cabling. Pre-existing run?

You don't have a set of rabbit ears lying around to see if the signal would vary from the constant 20 do you?

Nope, fresh run of cable. Tried my silver sensor, but my HD set is in the basement, which is mostly underground and through concrete walls. If I can dig out a fairly long piece of coax from somewhere I'll stick it upstairs to see if that helps me. It's not a constant twenty, that's just the peak. It fluctuates between 10 and 20.

-MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)