Installers thinking they can do what they want

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
What is it with installers thinking they can just do anything they like to get someone set up! My mother manages a building and has just noticed that several tenants have direct tv and the installers never notified her they were doing the install. To make matters worse, each of the installs was done by drilling holes through the stucco outer walls and through the inner plaster walls. They never asked for permission to do so and the owner does not want his walls damaged (she now has to notify the owner and hope she doesn't get in trouble). In one installation, they drilled three holes for one apartment!

In contrast, the two dish network installs were done by tapping into the existing cable line that runs into the apartments from the basement.

Does anyone know who is responsible for the repairs? Is it the installers or D? Is there a number or email to contact D to make it clear they are not allowed to do installs that require drilling holes in the walls?

Thanks!

It's the responsibility of the tenants to contact your mother, not the installers. And they don't have to contact management unless they don't have line of site from the balcony, and are asking for permission to mount the dish in a common area. The tenants are responsible for the "repairs", not the installers. Thats what the deposit is for, is it not?

It's the responsibility of the tenants to contact your mother, not the installers. And they don't have to contact management unless they don't have line of site from the balcony, and are asking for permission to mount the dish in a common area. The tenants are responsible for the "repairs", not the installers. Thats what the deposit is for, is it not?

Not the techs problem, its on the tenants to make her aware... Maybe she should be involved in her apt buildings more...

What is it with installers thinking they can just do anything they like to get someone set up! My mother manages a building and has just noticed that several tenants have direct tv and the installers never notified her they were doing the install. To make matters worse, each of the installs was done by drilling holes through the stucco outer walls and through the inner plaster walls. They never asked for permission to do so and the owner does not want his walls damaged (she now has to notify the owner and hope she doesn't get in trouble). In one installation, they drilled three holes for one apartment!

In contrast, the two dish network installs were done by tapping into the existing cable line that runs into the apartments from the basement.

Does anyone know who is responsible for the repairs? Is it the installers or D? Is there a number or email to contact D to make it clear they are not allowed to do installs that require drilling holes in the walls?

Thanks!

Like everyone else it's said it's the tenants.

http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/installationpermissionform.pdf

Thanks!

First off why are the installers out there cause the TENANT called D* and who knows what was said by the tenant, cause in my experiences they will about say anything cause they want it put in at any cost and like the other person said maybe your mom should be more involved and STOP blaming hte installer

Thanks!

I criticized an installer in another thread, but here I am in agreement that the tenant is responsible. My guess is that your mother would have the right to dock some of their security deposit as the premises was "damaged".

I have a question..

Every install of anything that has been done to my house I have had to give concent to the installer that I was the owner and all that was to be done was aproved..

As a matter of fact When I rented a house from my dad he had to be there for his aproval that holes and install was ok for the comany to start install.

Is this not still the case?

If it is then it is a two fold blame..

Now if the installer took the word of the tenet that they own the property or that it was aproved without speeking to the management.

ramimac: That was probably the installer covering their own butt, because a landlord would and should seek reimbursement for the repairs from anyone they can, especially for an unauthorized install. However, I've been on the other side of the coin, and I totally agree with what memory said - the tenant will say whatever they have to to get the install done. I did when I was in an apartment (though I didn't have the guy drill into the brick, but did put 2 holes in the patio door base). I was even prepared to slip him some cash to do it, since the policy at my complex was "no dish, period." Luckily, he just accepted my word and went about the install. In most cases, the installer is just there to do a job. Checking for permission is a hassle they don't want, and it is the tenant's responsibility to get permission.

The problem with permission notes is that they are not detailed enough. We don't know if its ok to mount it on the building, drill holes or any other restrictions. A landlord would be crazy to simply say yes with no exceptions.

My general rule is no penetrations in the building.

I have a question..

Every install of anything that has been done to my house I have had to give concent to the installer that I was the owner and all that was to be done was aproved..

As a matter of fact When I rented a house from my dad he had to be there for his aproval that holes and install was ok for the comany to start install.

Is this not still the case?

If it is then it is a two fold blame..

Now if the installer took the word of the tenet that they own the property or that it was aproved without speeking to the management.
According to this form, unless the customer's lease includes provisions for satellite, the customer is allowed to give consent.

Both parties are responsible actually as both can be taken to court should the property owner feel that damages have been done. The renter is responsible for contacting the property owner and or manager about the limitations that he/she has for the installation of cable and satellite television and any other service where the possibility of modifications or changes to the structure are required. Its also the installers responsibility to ask if the customer owns or rents the property and if they are infact renting if they have a letter of consent from the owner/property manager prefferably with company letter head along with an address and phone number and contact name that they can have these services installed and what the limitations are for the installation.

The repairs for the holes should be minor as long as no wiring or plumbing was damaged but the property manager can take out the required funds from the security deposit to cover the repairs and subtract the cost when the tenants leave at the end of their lease.

Both parties are responsible actually as both can be taken to court should the property owner feel that damages have been done. The renter is responsible for contacting the property owner and or manager about the limitations that he/she has for the installation of cable and satellite television and any other service where the possibility of modifications or changes to the structure are required. Its also the installers responsibility to ask if the customer owns or rents the property and if they are infact renting if they have a letter of consent from the owner/property manager prefferably with company letter head along with an address and phone number and contact name that they can have these services installed and what the limitations are for the installation.

The repairs for the holes should be minor as long as no wiring or plumbing was damaged but the property manager can take out the required funds from the security deposit to cover the repairs and subtract the cost when the tenants leave at the end of their lease.

Actually, Van, on the LL Permission form from the DirecTV website, the customer can give permission and accept all responsibility. http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/installationpermissionform.pdf If the installer had that formed signed by the customer, then the installer was in the clear.

Aside from DTV installs I also do phone repairs.

I always stop at the office to get the key to the cable room or phone vault. Sometimes the property manager is absent so sometimes the customer pays for a return trip. Management usually sends someone with me to show where wire is and make sure I don't drill anything.

DTV apartment customers try for after five installations because they know nobody is around. Are there not inspections before tenant security deposits are returned? Just note the units with dishes.

Joe

site survey....

this is what the customer signs before i start anything....

"
I Have been granted approval or otherwise hereby authorize ConnecTV to install a DIRECTV Satellite System at the above mentioned address. I understand that a satellite dish may need to be permanently fixed to the structure and modifications, including the drilling of holes, may be necessary. In no event shall Connect Television, DirecTV, or the Technican have any obligation to remove your system or accept any liability whatsoever for violations of your lease/rental agreement with your landlord or renting agency. By signing below, the customer accepts the install plan that the installer has given and releases the installer from all liabilities."

"I, the undersigned, acknowledge that the technician (listed above) completed and reviewed this form with me prior to beginning any work at this residence, and I hereby permit him to complete the work described above. My signature on this form is an indication that I have the authority to give this permission at this residence and release DirecTV, ConnecTV, and the TECHNINCAN from all liabilities. All customer labor monies will be given before the tech begins work or no custom work will be done."

Aside from DTV installs I also do phone repairs.

DTV apartment customers try for after five installations because they know nobody is around.
Joe

Or just maybe the after 5 issue is because the tenant ALSO has a JOB !

I do plenty of phone install in apt's, normally if a jack needs to be placed the issue is , "Was the landlord informed and do you have a paper authorization from the landlord allowing us to do the install?"
If the answer is NO, we tell them to reschedule when that have the authorization slip.

Jimbo

First off no manager is able to be around every inch of three buildings 24hrs a day, so those of you saying the manager should be around more and more involved, you must be an installer or friends with one.

As for the installer having no blame, BS! The tenant does not own the property the installer in entering and, therefore, has no right for giving permission to damage said property. The installer should not do an install requiring drilling through walls and such unless they receive expressed written permission from the owner or authorized agent. Plain and simple!

The owner is now contacting his attorney and they are going to deny Direct from doing anymore installs until they fix the damage they've created and find a way to give satellite to tenents that doesn't include drilling through the side walls.

Well it's now settled. I just talked with the owner and he said it received a call from Direct TV to appologize for the damage done to his buildings and that they will work with him on fixing the damage. He said they also agreed that no drilling should have taken place without the permission of the owner or manager.

So it seems anyone with the notion that the installer has freedom to do anything they wish to get sat installed is incorrect. :rolleyes:

Your mother got very lucky. She should have gone after the tenants, and she needs to have something about it in the lease that she makes them sign.

Your mother got very lucky. She should have gone after the tenants, and she needs to have something about it in the lease that she makes them sign.

Aye, IMO very lucky, and DirecTV is eating it for service reasons, or covering themselves because the installers didn't get the necessary paperwork exposing them to more liability.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)