Installing 2nd HD Receiver - Questions

kslagerman

Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
USA
Hello,

Somewhat of a newb when it comes to installing Satellite TV, but I am handy around the house and am pretty familiar with the wiring in my home. I have a Dish ViP622 Dual Receiver but am tired of only having HD in one room, so I purchased a ViP211K to solve that. I had a couple questions though..

I currently have the following setup:

Room 1 (Downstairs Living Room) TV1 and is Hi-def. (Dish 622 is located here)
Room 2 (Upstairs Master Bed) TV2 and Standard Def
Room 3 (Upstairs Loft) Mirrors Room 2 and shows the same exact same thing.
(obviously with this setup room 2 and 3 are interchangeable since they are mirrored)

So goal is to have the following setup.

Room 1 (Downstairs Living Room) stays TV1 and is Hi-def. (Dish 622 is located here)
Room 2 (Upstairs Master Bed) stays TV2 standard def.
Room 3 (Upstairs Loft) is new TV1 using new VIP211k and is hi-def.

Our house is newer and has a central wiring panel in the master closet and i have identified the wiring that goes to the rooms this post is concerned with.

My main questions are:
1. Will my current satellite support two separate receivers in the home? I can not tell exactly what kind of satellite i have but says "DISH Turbo HD" on the dish itself and "DP Plus" on the LNB housing. It has a triple LNB pointing into the dish itself. I don't understand the relationship between the number of LNBs and how many receivers I can use. Probably its one LNB per tuner.

Our house is very tall so I took a photo of the dish to get a close up. I see two wires running out of the arm going out to the LNB. Then I see a 3rd wire just cut and exposed and wrapped around the support column below the dish. I'm worried this 3rd wire is supposed to go to the 3rd LNB and its not attached.
LNB.jpg

wire.jpg

2. Any advice on the actual install would be appreciated. There is only one wire running down into the house from the dish. That gets split with a Holland DPD2 with one coax going downstairs to the 622 and the other going to a standard splitter to mirror the two rooms upstairs. Can I accomplish what I am trying to do using more splitters in the wiring panel or do I have to actually run a new coax from the 3rd LNB on the dish into the house?

liniin.jpg

Current Install
install_diagram.jpg

I believe i am missing a component that must be up near the satellite itself or in our attic. Advice?

I know this was lengthly and I appreciate anyone taking the time to read and help me out.

Thanks,

Unfortunatly, accoring to your pictures, your going to have to get a second line all the way to your wiring center and attach it to the line you need off the splitter. You can just take the LNB off and attach it and leave the cut one. There are three outputs.

make sure you use rg6 cable and dont use twist on cable ends. If you want to do it you self spend the money on getting the proper tools or pay to have a tech come which might be your best bet. As a tech self installs are my pet peives( I hope I spelled that correctly). So call and see how much a service call is cause if you mess up after buying those tools you will still be out of that money plus having use come back.

I've used twist on connectors for many years both indoors and out with zero problem so far.

make sure you use rg6 cable and dont use twist on cable ends. If you want to do it you self spend the money on getting the proper tools or pay to have a tech come which might be your best bet. As a tech self installs are my pet peives( I hope I spelled that correctly). So call and see how much a service call is cause if you mess up after buying those tools you will still be out of that money plus having use come back.

It's "peeves", and yea I know exactly what you mean. I have my own set of all the same quality cabling tools, compression fittings and cable I use at work and it wasn't cheap.

kslagerman, if you have the service plan, it's $15 for a tech and it would be well worth it.

TheKrell, your standards are just a bit lower than some of the rest of us then. That's alright for you, but not for any DNS tech.

I agree with vash1090 on the tech visit. the cable that is clipped behind ur dish u can use to attach to ur tv3 BAM direct line to 211k

Thanks

thanks for everyone's input. i guess i was just wanting to see if I could do it. it was the "guy" thing i guess or just me wanting to prove to myself that I could do it on my own. Oh well. We have somewhat of an abnormally tall house and I don't really feel like getting up there to run that 3rd line direct to the 211 but that certainly does seems like the most logical solution.

So I took your advice and I called Dish and their sending a tech. They're coming tomorrow morning. It's $95 but im fine with paying that to have it professionally done rather than mucking around on the roof of my house or a super tall ladder.

thanks again!

Dish wiring

722k with a dish500 antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)