Installing a motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It would be great if you could motorize the 39" for better signal. Then you could use the 36" as a fixed dish. Maybe post up a few picks of the 39" to see what you need to make it complete. Someone may have the part or know where you can get it low cost.:)

The 39 dish is a WorldTV dish, see: http://www.hypermegasat.com/World TV Dish.htm. Spite the pictures id didn't come with any mounting hardware. I can't complain b/c when they were informed that I got the wrong dish, they sent another that arrived within a few days. I'm not sure yet but I may need to put the 36 inch dish up about a foot or so so I can get an adequate swing for a motor installation, do they extension tubes? or what should I call it?

Thanks

The 39 dish is a WorldTV dish, see: http://www.hypermegasat.com/World TV Dish.htm. Spite the pictures id didn't come with any mounting hardware. I can't complain b/c when they were informed that I got the wrong dish, they sent another that arrived within a few days. I'm not sure yet but I may need to put the 36 inch dish up about a foot or so so I can get an adequate swing for a motor installation, do they extension tubes? or what should I call it?

Thanks
Good that they made it right for you. :) What size (inner & outer diameter) is the tube on the 36"? Any pics of the dish and mount?

I'll post pics and measure the tube when the sleet and freezing rain stop.

In the meantime, if I understand the process correctly, I'm supposed to tie into a satellite that is identified as true south in order to set up a motor. After I d/l the list, the true south satellite for me is 76.8W Galaxy 4R KU but it seems that one has been decommissioned. Does it still send out a signal that can be used?

You won't find any useful signals on Galaxy 4R KU.

For a KU band dish install, use USALS motor setting type in the installation menu. This link http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/how-to-set-up-a-motorized-ku-band-dish.190527/ for instructions was provided earlier in this thread. The posts explain how to use USALS with a satellite receiver install menu. With USALS you only need to know the general direction of true south and it is not necessary to aim at true south first. Many first-time installers get hung-up on finding true south when this really isn't necessary using USALS motor type.

But be aware that the HH120 is much slower than the HH90 (I have both).

I understand the HH120 is slower however my dish has a tab on the top of the mounting bracket so it doesn't slide down the mast. Makes it easy for one person to handle. On that point alone I think the choice for me is the 120. Thoughts?

P1010041.JPG

For the dish you have an HH90 will do fine (and perform faster). I believe I read somewhere that the HH120 took as long as 2-3 minutes to move from one end of the arc to the other (someone please confirm) making channel changes quite long in some cases. If you are thinking of upgrading to a 120cm dish in the future, either for tracking down an elusive ku feed or for experimentation with a mini-bud (small c band setup) then you definitely want the bigger HH120. :)

Be aware that the diameter of the HH120 shaft is 54 mm - whereas the HH 90 is 42 mm, so a small dish may not fit on the HH120 shaft. I had to make a custom bracket to fit my 85 cm dish on it.

With regard to rotation speed, the HH90 is 2.4 degrees per second on 18v (horizontal TP), or 54 seconds for the full 130 degrees maximum arc of these motors. By comparison, the HH120 is 0.7 d/s, or 3 minutes and 5 seconds for the 130-degree arc.

For 13v (vertical TP), the HH90 is 1.5 d/s, or 1 minute 27 secs for the full arc, and the HH120 is 0.4 d/sec, or a staggering 5 minutes 25 secs for the full arc.

Clearly, the HH120 requires patience, being over three times slower than the HH90!

Regarding the tab on the dish mount, simply bend it out of the way to get it on the HH90 shaft.

Reactions: lost_mesa
Be aware that the diameter of the HH120 shaft is 54 mm - whereas the HH 90 is 42 mm, so a small dish may not fit on the HH120 shaft. I had to make a custom bracket to fit my 85 cm dish on it.

With regard to rotation speed, the HH90 is 2.4 degrees per second on 18v (horizontal TP), or 54 seconds for the full 130 degrees maximum arc of these motors. By comparison, the HH120 is 0.7 d/s, or 3 minutes and 5 seconds for the 130-degree arc.
For 13v (vertical TP), the HH90 is 1.5 d/s, or 1 minute 27 secs for the full arc, and the HH120 is 0.4 d/sec, or a staggering 5 minutes 25 secs for the full arc.
Clearly, the HH120 requires patience, being over three times slower than the HH90!
Regarding the tab on the dish mount, simply bend it out of the way to get it on the HH90 shaft.

Thanks for the info on the move times DVB-S2.

Hmmmm...Seems like it would be an easy software change to have a receiver switch to "H" during satellite moves and then revert back to the previous polarity after the move was completed. Maybe receivers already do that? Just thinking out loud.

In any case I've doubled the number of satellites we receive. We get two now :biggrin. I couldn't find 72W so I went back and found 97W, tweaked it, and then went back to 72W and it was there!!! What's the best way to permanently mark everything so if the wind moves something I can put it back to where it was? Spray paint?

Reactions: FTA4PA
In any case I've doubled the number of satellites we receive. We get two now :biggrin. I couldn't find 72W so I went back and found 97W, tweaked it, and then went back to 72W and it was there!!! What's the best way to permanently mark everything so if the wind moves something I can put it back to where it was? Spray paint?

I use a sharp nail, and scratch a thin line mark from polar mount to pole. Sharpies leave such a wide mark, it can cause issues. My narrow line is exact.

I borrowed a bottle of mamas' red nail polish.Easy to see on the black pole.Not sure how long it will last.

She wasn't too happy when I used her nail files for rust removal though. :whistle
Nail polish also works great to cover screw terminals to prevent corrosion. Can't recall where I first heard about it but I put some on my antenna rotor terminals quite a few years back and when I took it down for upgrades last year they looked like new under the polish. :)

Reactions: armadillo_115
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)