Installing a third DVR. Grounding question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jessshaun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Robinson, Illinois, United States
I just bought (leased, whatever) an HR-22 and got a zinwell wb68 multiswitch so that I can have 3 DVRs hooked up.

I currently have a slimline 5lnb dish, an HR-21 w/AM21, and an R-15.

After doing some research, I decided I would install my own HR-22.

My question is, we currently have our 2 DVRs hooked up with a gounding block.

It wouldn't look pretty, but can I just leave the ground wire from the dish hooked up to the ground block, and run the RG-6 cables from the dish to the multiswitch?
Or would it be easier to just buy a new ground wire and run it from the dish to where it is currently grounded now?

Wouldn't it be easier to connect the multiswitch inside where the four lines from the ground block come in? Leave it where it is.

Oh, maybe they don't go into the same place. :)

Wouldn't it be easier to connect the multiswitch inside where the four lines from the ground block come in? Leave it where it is.

Oh, maybe they don't go into the same place. :)

Depends upon the layout, but a lot of times all four wires from the dish don't come in via the same hole. Easiest way is to insert the multiswitch in place of the ground block.

Using the multiswitch as a ground block is a viable option only if the switch is rated to be used as a ground block. Most switches will have the set screws for a ground wire just like splitters and diplexers but they cannot be used as ground blocks. I'm not sure about D* switches but I know there is only one E* switch that can be used as a ground block. I don't know where you would find the information on whether or not it could pass as a ground block.

The NEC demands that each and every device that must be grounded be connected directly to a bonding point. Daisy chaining is not code.

Once the cabling passes through a properly installed grounding block, you don't need to ground it again.

Using the multiswitch as a ground block is a viable option only if the switch is rated to be used as a ground block. Most switches will have the set screws for a ground wire just like splitters and diplexers but they cannot be used as ground blocks. I'm not sure about D* switches but I know there is only one E* switch that can be used as a ground block. I don't know where you would find the information on whether or not it could pass as a ground block.

The Zinwell WB68 is approved to be used as a grounding device, at least according to DirecTV.

The Zinwell WB68 is approved to be used as a grounding device, at least according to DirecTV.

I am sure it will be fine as a ground connection.

I always wonder about the difference between an official electric code change and an engineering conclusion. Does DTV approval mean they will stand behind an installation that is grounded through the switch frame?

Just because you eliminate the ground block and eight fittings is reason enough to ground through the switch.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts