insulating RG6 from power wire

hab

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I am having to retrofit my basement with some additional coaxial cable. The only place i can run the RG6 is through the same ceiling stud cavity as the 110v power wires. I am afraid that this may cause interference in the RG6 (or the Cat5 that's going with it). Is there any way to insulate the RG6 from the power wire? I'm thinking aluminium foil or something...

Thanks.

Mike

I believe it is generally against code to have low-voltage wire running through the same passage as 120/240v, but I am not 100% sure on this. Only an inspector would be for sure for your area... My experience with an inspection was this (for my area)

1 foot sepration was preferred, but not required for wall outlets; data/coax next to electrical (I see many that are closer)
should not go through the same pass-thru on wood studs (again 1 foot seperation, more if it was a metal stud)
if needed to go to a second story, conduit was preferred with caulk fire-stop required (really had no way to check this without damage to installation)
absolutly no if they go through the same conduit.

Now you may ask 1 foot sepration seems kind of excessive... I asked too. I was told that it was just a recommendation, but code was actually only something like 2-4 inches.

My personal experience is never run data/comm cabling parrallel within 1 foot to any 120+ voltage lines, perpendicular is ok, just not parrallel. YMMV.

That all being said, if you know where the 110 is going through, you could easily measure and find the next wall cavity over and make a new hole.

Is your house 1 story? Basement? etc

Others here might have more exact numbers, I am just going by what I remember when we did some inspections on homes we were looking at buying

Thanks for your response. My house is multi-story, but the issue is only in the basement.

I finished my basement and wired it all three years ago. I thought that I had planned for every eventuallity, but as per Murphy'sLaw, we want to move the TV to a place where there are no Satellite connections. My access through the ceiling and walls are now severally limited (without taking down the shhet rock ceiling). So I will run some new RG6 from my central location, through the ceiling of two rooms (20 feet) and down the wall to a new outlet.

I am in the middle of the job. I made a 12"x12" hole in the ceiling and ran the new cables. It's the only ceiling stud space I could access. For the most part it is empty, but I did notice one 110v outlet wire on one side and a juntion box (about four 110v wires) on the other. I should be able to make it down the wall without any other power wires being there.

So... To avoid any possibility of interference, I want to insulate the RG6 cable near the power wires for a distance of about 6 feet. You mentionned conduit, which might do the trick. I assume PVC would be better than metal. Or is there something else I could use to insulate the wiring?

I don't know where you live at(state wise) but I am pretty sure it is not up to code to do it that way..... I would have a tech come out and survey the job... At least a low voltage tech.. He will Know the codes and may find a easier way of doing it......You should pay him for his time (HINT HINT)

Just run the wire and hook it up and see if there's a problem. I rarely see any problems unless it's near very high current runs or transformers. In commercial buildings, I've seen tons of power and communications wires run together and it all works fine.

Standard practises are 6" min between RG6/Cat5 to 120 V parallel run. 12" or more best. Cross all 120 V lines at a 90 degree angle. Stay a min. 2 feet away from any 220 V or flourescent light fixtures. In your case quad shield should work fine.
Also, Don,t kink or stretch your cables. RG6 2 1/2" radius on bends. CAT5 1" R.
25 lbs. pull pressure max.

PVC or Smurf tube will not prevent interference. EMT or metal flex can help. Aluminum foil could act as an enhancer and create more EMI.

Hope this helps

So when the ground thaws here in MN I plan to run a 4" conduit from the house out to the dish farm. Labgate (can't post link since I'm a new user) ran a cable back for every LNB. I'm thinking about a small building with Diseqc switches and a few runs back in the conduit.

1. My take away from earlier posts in this thread is that if I want 120AC out there for testing/alignment, it shouldn't go in the same counduit. If it's only used for testing and I turn it off when not in use would it hurt to have it in the same conduit? Building code and common sense don't always go together so more interested it how it will act as antenna to draw interference to the other cables.

2. How do you seal the ends of a 4" conduit to keep the critters out but not use something like the foaming crack sealers which are more permanent?

thanks

1. if I want 120AC out there for testing/alignment, it shouldn't go in the same counduit.

2. How do you seal the ends of a 4" conduit to keep the critters out but not use something like the foaming crack sealers which are more permanent?

thanks

1. I don't think you will have any problems but I would put it in a smaller conduit by itself to make sure no AC voltage ever shorts to the comm cables.

2. Put a box with cover on the end and drill individual holes that you can seal easily for each cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts