Intelsat 8 at 166.0°E at Vancouver Island?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

absentfriend

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
victoria, bc
So I'm going to setup my first 10 ft mesh, I'm targeting 121W and Intelsat 8 at 166.0°E(which is big question mark?)

Is anyone here can receive "Intelsat 8 at 166.0°E" using a 10ft mesh in Western North America? (According to lyngsat, it's doable, but I really have no idea:D)

I locate at Sidney, BC

The Satbeams site would suggest a 13 foot dish might be a better idea.
Lyngsat suggests a 12 foot dish or better.
I couldn't hit 3° elevation to the west even if I did have a dish that size. :cool:

Of course, we don't know how accurate that info is, so give it a try. :rolleyes:
Power levels vary between transponders, too. So there's another factor.

Which of the free channels interest you?
Maybe there is an alternate source, if this doesn't work out.

according to Mike Kohl it might be doable

166.0 East Intelsat 8 C-Band
5150 MHz local oscillator (formerly PAS-8)
12-foot dish needed in Western mainland states

MPEG

The first thing happened after I set up my 10ft, is my nice adjacent's senior retirement center manager's shocking face...he told me city by law, the satellite dish limit is 2.7 meter from the ground(hell, if I known that, why bother, take me a week to haunt, to take it back, to mount it...so I'm offically fxcked... ( i lied to her, it's 2.4 meter, but she just smiled, and told me...it's 10 foot...lol, sharp eyes, she must has those before :D:D:D)

So I need to find a new home for it, and just ordered a much smaller Prime focus 6 ft...damn, I hate be in a crowdy city :D:D:D

Try mounting it on a trailer, then it should pass as long as the top of the dish is 13'6"or less from the ground and the trailer is licensed. That way it is not a fixed structured in your yard, but a movable trailer that is only covered by the highway traffic act. The only problems you may have will have if there is restrictions on parking trailers in a residential area.

According to lyngsat you may not get 166E with a 6' dish.

Footprint maps as well as local zoning regulations should be consulted before making such an effort at C-band reception. I set up a system at the Kupol mine, in far eastern Chukotka (Russian jurisdiction just across the water from Nome, Alaska), and it was a struggle with a 12 foot commercial antenna. Signals only get weaker as you go stateside, and between the extremely low elevation angles in Victoria plus a reduced footprint, the OP is wasting their time, even with a 10-foot antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)