Intelsat 9 at 58.0°W - Receivable in MN?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
Is Intelsat 9 at 58.0°W receivable in MN using a 6 Foot C Band Dish?

Specifically 3840 H - 3880 H - 4040 H?

ikki

Here is what I can tell you. From thelist that update was done by me and my 6 footer so they were picked up (date was 9/7)

I can verify that 4040 H comes in great. I watched NHK for a while that day.

Let me run some numbers tomorrow on my 6 footer and Pansat. DO you just need those 3 TP's?

Ya those three are all I need. I thank you greatly.

I have to make some decisions really quick before the snow starts flying. I saw a 10 footer on Craig's List near Minnetonka and I may make the jump to pick it up.

at least you guys can get to 58w with cband. Best I can do is 58w Ku.
My floor mount CBAND dish wont even get close to it at all

yeah it is nice i did see that hes looking at a 10 footer on Craig's List that why i posted on a 10 footer. thought this fourm is to pass info not be Nitpicky.:rant:

thats nice but the OP asked about a 6 footer. There are some things that a 10 footer will get that a 6 footer won't ;)

Ya those three are all I need. I thank you greatly.

I have to make some decisions really quick before the snow starts flying. I saw a 10 footer on Craig's List near Minnetonka and I may make the jump to pick it up.

58W has plenty of level. I get tons of margin on all FTA transponders with a 6' near Denver (farther south, but west). Of course my bigger dishes get even more margin.

ikki

Here is what I came up with about 1/2 hour ago

NHK (4040H) 90 quality on the Pansat 1500. They are at 1/2 FEC so no issues there...on Pansat threshold is 30 for 3/4 FEC and 20 for 1/2 FEC
CCTV (3880H) was at 45-50 quality. They're at 7/8 FEC so there were some freezing spots but rare which makes me think they're not at 7/8 FEC...maybe 5/6. Way better than when Equity was on 95W and I needed a 70 quality for stable
3840 H I had issues with....again 45-50 but tons of pixeling which makes me think that they are definitelly at 7/8 FEC

I think if I tweaked it more I wouldnt have issues. Also there is a tree that might hinder a little reception.

Thanks every one for replying.

I swung the 6 footer that direction and even with a large pine in the way I am able to get NHK with no breakups on the Pansat 9200HD with 10% Q (Which surprises me.)

I don't want to hijack the thread . . .

I got NHK World on a 31" Dish before with almost zero breakup :)

. . . so, could someone point me to a thread that discusses getting c-band reception using a small (1m) dish?

When I do a search on this topic it seems that people say it can't be done but the above comment suggest that you can receive c-band with a small dish.

Last edited:
. . . so, could someone point me to a thread that discusses getting c-band reception using a small (1m) dish?

When I do a search on this topic it seems that people say it can't be done but the above comment suggest that you can receive c-band with a small dish.

Search Mini-Bud. Lots of posts. GL, Eric

Tamuin,

Welcome!

Do a bit of searching for miniBUD or Primestar and you'll find quite a bit. So you know, I'd never recommend setting up a 31" dish to watch any C-Band reliably, it's just something fun to try for experimenting.

But a meter dish will likely pop up a few feeds and really strong signals. Your mileage may vary, but you may end up with a some things you didn't expect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)