Interesting Links

did you receive the 91xg yet.

very interested to know how it works. I am also interested in one also.

what was holding me back was the unknown of how it performed. And I read that snowload is not good with it because of all the elements. And we get a lot of snow here off of lake ontario.

Rick0725 said:
did you receive the 91xg yet.

very interested to know how it works. I am also interested in one also.

what was holding me back was the unknown of how it performed. And I read that snowload is not good with it because of all the elements. And we get a lot of snow here off of lake ontario.
Yeah you get a bunch of snow there. See, here in Oklahoma we haven't seen any snow in 4 years! So I am not worried about that very much. No, I didn't get the 91XG yet. I am just as curious as you. Well they took the money out of my account yesterday, and it is supposed to come via FedEx. I haven't gotten a tracking number or anything, so there's no telling on the status. As I know my luck, I probably won't get to install this weekend.:( Well I must have had some insane ducting this morning, as I received a station from Waco, TX! It was just for a while, and then disappeared. Waco is in the middle of Texas, and I am located in the middle of Oklahoma! Well at the same time all but one channel hammered in with 100% signal! Interesting is the fact that KTFO CH42 (UPN) usually comes in at around 70% under normal conditions. So are the signals of all the others. EXCEPT KOKI CH22 (FOX) doesn't come in at all. KTFO and KOKI are on the same tower, and after exchanging emails with the KTFO/KOKI engineer, he told me that actually the KOKI antenna is higher up on the tower than the KTFO, and both are running at full power. KOKI is running at 1000KW and KTFO at 870KW. This doesn't make sense to me. It should be vice versa. The distance to that tower is 75 miles. A while back it was KTFO giving trouble and KOKI was fine. Like this morning with getting 100% on all the other stations, KOKI was around 80%. So it's about 20 % lower. On a normal day, when the others coming at 70%, KOKI must be around 50%, which is below the 55%, that the ViP622 requires to lock onto. I've been on the roof countless times to tweak and aim, nothing helped. It sux, because I want to watch American Idol in HD, and I can', because KOKI is too weak. I used to watch it in HD, but have to bear with the horrible Dish SD Locals picture. What the enineer tells me does not make sense to me. How can the broadcast antenna, that is higher up than the other, pumping out 130KW more power, be a worse signal source at my end, than the weaker version with higher signal here. That's why I want to try the 91XG, to try to get about 10% more signal, because a little over 60 on the 622 is sufficient to watch TV in my case.

I have used that map for years...looks like some good ducting in new york in the next few days. reception has been kinda dead the last week or so.

makes ya proud of your antenna system when the ducting is banging away...and such a let down when it disappears.

we are the snowyest city in the usa.

spent some time in tulsa, oklahoma city, wichita, omaha, and a bunch of other cities out your way on some consulting work a few years back

Yeah ducting is cool. When I did that channel scan and KWTX showed up, I didn't know what it was. Looked it up on the internet and found out it's a Waco, TX local. BOY, ya should've seen ma eyes poppin' outta ma head! Especially since my antenna is pointed staright North, and Waco's down South! Makes me wonder what the 91XG's gonna rip in!

ralfyguy said:
...How can the broadcast antenna, that is higher up than the other, pumping out 130KW more power, be a worse signal source at my end, than the weaker version with higher signal here....
Is it possible that it's beamed away from you? Here's an interesting link that someone else gave me (RandallA, I think) that also gives the broadcast pattern for each station. See what it tells you for KOKI...

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp

PS - I think you have to enter the longitude as a negative number - not sure why...

ralfyguy said:
That thing doesn't work. It won't show anything:mad:
Hmm - not sure why it didn't work for you. I used the top link in that cover page to get approx. lat/long. for central Oklahoma and used 35.53 and -97.56 respectively. I entered -2 for the declination (the second link will get you the exact value) and 150 miles for the range and clicked "Show Stations". The result was a list over 40 rows long (each variation of a station is a separate row). There are 2 rows for KOKI Fox 23DT (actual ch. 22) from Tulsa. Apparently they have 2 separate ant. locations, one operating at 4KW (lobe to the west) and one at 1000KW (omni). It might be possible that they're experimenting or using the low-power antenna temporarily. The 1000KW ant. at 1312'. is indeed on the same tower as the KTFO ant. (900KW, omni, 1232'. Here's the link to that query that I bookmarked - maybe it will work for you. You could fine-tune the results with an exact lat./long/ and declination. Have a good weekend...

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/defau...lse&show_low_power=False&action=Show+Stations

2150 pulls its data from the FCC database. It includes EVERY application for a permit that falls within a radial of the lat/long entered. It would be nice if it could somehow filter out the old stuff and the garbage.

Well I got the 91XG today. I put it together and it's ready to go, but IT"S RAINING CATS 'n DOGS!! DAMN!! It hasn't rained here in weeks, but now that I want to put up my new antenna, it has to FRIGGIN' RAIN! :mad: :mad: :mad: And it's supposed to rain ALL weekend too!

Back in 1983 I was on a road trip that took me through central Oklahoma. Having done some TV-FM DXing over the years I always enjoy doing some radio scanning when I am in an unfamiliar area. Anyway, while I was tuning around the FM band I found a station that held my interest, and when they did the station ID they said it was in Florida! I tuned around a little more and found others in FLA and some in Texas. You folks out there in Oklahoma are really blessed with some awesome tropo! :D :D

dlsnyder said:
Back in 1983 I was on a road trip that took me through central Oklahoma. Having done some TV-FM DXing over the years I always enjoy doing some radio scanning when I am in an unfamiliar area. Anyway, while I was tuning around the FM band I found a station that held my interest, and when they did the station ID they said it was in Florida! I tuned around a little more and found others in FLA and some in Texas. You folks out there in Oklahoma are really blessed with some awesome tropo! :D :D
I know, but I wish it would be like that around the clock!:D

91XG is up, and lemme tell ya this:

IT KICKS A$$!!!!

Almost every channel is up 10-15%. The lost FOX23 is back, though weak (68%), but it's there! This antenna is incredible against my CM3020, and that was not a bad antenna at all. Here's the before/after readings (56 is what the ViP622 requires to lock to signal):

FOX23 (RF22) 50-55/65-69
KOED (RF38) 75-78/86-92
KTFO (RF42) 63-68/ 73-77
KJRH (RF56) 64-69/75-82
KOTV (RF55) 65-70/75-82

This is truly a gain. There's more channels, I don't necessarly care about. So I didn't list them here, because they're low powered and they have some gain too, but they were hard to get in the first place. They have gain in terms, that they were only available during severe tropo, but now they're popping in sometimes in the daytime without ducting.

BUT the windload seems higher, it flops more in the wind, but it seems to hang onto the signal like a pitbull on a dude's leg. The beamwidth is smaller so I actually have problems with a PBS channel I didn't have trouble with before. But that's due to the different angle. It's okay, I never really wtached it before anyways. I care more about the FOX23. I would actually need three 91XG's to accomplish all the directions, or a rotor. I am happy with it the way it is.

I'll post pix later.

where did you purchase the antenna? direct or solid signal?

those results look real promising.

let me know if the numbers are consistant...if there are any ducting factors giving the higher numbers, etc.

Last edited:
$113 from antennasdirect. Shipping included. Install was in stormy weather with wind.

It may not be any better than your Winegard. Don't forget it's UHF only. And comparison is to a CM3020 which is probably not as good as your Winegard, AND I'm 75 miles from the towers. I have severe problems with reception at this distance. But the 91XG is the best antenna out of the four I had so far. When I turn the antenna a little more to the east, CH55/56 hammer in at 100%. But I lose FOX23 then. So I had to max out on FOX, which dropped the signal on 55/56 to just below 80%. This antenna is aiming like a satellite dish. Very directional.

Last edited:
You should condider installing a rotor to max your signal and have fun looking for channels when the moment arises. If you are concerned about heigth issues, you can cut back on the mast.

I have a few friends that also live in the fringe and are looking at better options....and I like to play and receive distant signals when the opportunity arises.

enjoy and keep us posted.

This morning FOX23, my problem channel is really choppy. Signals are down 5% from yesterday. Running around 65% versus around 70+% and cutting out frequently. Sunny day with very light wind. Was better yesterday in stormy weather. Dunno why...the other channels are about the same strength.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)