interesting situation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bscabl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
ny
so i have been enjoying D* for nearly a year and a half.. i still have roadrunner..

yesterday they called me and offered to buy out my contract if i return to cable [i left because of the prices] and undercut what i currently pay..
so now.. i have the option of moving back to time warner with thrie whole home dvr [which id love to get with d*] or stay here..

im not unhappy with d* at all.. but what are the odds i could get them to upgrade my sd box in the bedroom [i have a hd flatscreen in there] so i can do wholehome? [i lease] ..that would pretty much guarentee i stay, as i love the size of the drive in my dvr.. my gf records a lot of crap and it doesnt fill up, and in nearly a year and a half in new york, ive had -maybe- 30 min of downtime [sticky snow..just had to bush off the dish]

anyways, thanks!

Call their Directv cancellation department and ask. Explain just what you did here, cable is willing to buy out your contract, lower price, and includes whole home dvr. Directv could offer you the free HD box upgrade and free whole home dvr (except the $3/mo fee, you'd have to pay that). IF they do expect a new two year contract. They may not be willing to bargin until you hit the two year mark, if you are close you may want to just sit tight a few months.

If he doesn't have to sign a new contract with TWC, I'd say go for it. And if he doesn't like TWC for any reason, he can always switch back to D*, sign a new 2-year with whole home dvr and with that he would pay the promotional rates again for 1 year.

If he doesn't have to sign a new contract with TWC, I'd say go for it. And if he doesn't like TWC for any reason, he can always switch back to D*, sign a new 2-year with whole home dvr and with that he would pay the promotional rates again for 1 year.
It seems like DIRECTV practice suggests that you need to be away for at least a year to be eligible as a born again virgin.

Chances are pretty good that TWC is going to want a contract to buy a contract.

I'd go with Jason's suggestion and see what DIRECTV is willing to offer.

It seems like DIRECTV practice suggests that you need to be away for at least a year to be eligible as a born again virgin.

I'd go with Jason's suggestion and see what DIRECTV is willing to offer.

Direc has been very tough these days with any sort of negotiation.
Its almost better to leave them and have them come knocking on your door a year from now.

Direc is not as hungry to keep subs as they are in getting new ones. Makes little sense to me.
I have direc but have been unhappy with their customer service for some time.
Plus their packages\pricing just keeps going up.

I have Dish network as well. They just sent me 5 free pay per views as a thank you for being a loyal
sub. Never received that from direc!

If their(direc) sports were not a good as they are Id leave them. Plus their picture is the best ive seen so far.But I never would threaten them with that. I try to be as polite a possible.
However, Ive not been happy with direc these days.

I just had a good friend call TWC about their offer to buy out his contract and he was also interested in their version of the whole house. They wanted a two year commitment, but the new customer price was only for a year. He called DirecTV and I don't really know exactly what they offered him, but he's very happy.

you should know .

call directv retention dept. and see what they offer. I think youll get a good offer as long as your not always asking for credits like others do.
if tw offer is a no contract offer i would go for that.

Its almost better to leave them and have them come knocking on your door a year from now.

Direc is not as hungry to keep subs as they are in getting new ones. Makes little sense to me.
I have direc but have been unhappy with their customer service for some time.
Plus their packages\pricing just keeps going up.

I have Dish network as well. They just sent me 5 free pay per views as a thank you for being a loyal

If their(direc) sports were not a good as they are Id leave them. Plus their picture is the best ive seen so far.But I never would threaten them with that. I try to be as polite a possible.
However, Ive not been happy with direc these days.

Lern,
D* gives you SOMETHING every year in the month of your anniversary, you have to remember to check in and see what it is, but they've been doing that for years now.

lern4483 said:

Being a loyal sub myself and always paying on time I've never received free pay per views from Dish.

I had the same offer a couple weeks ago and seriously did some comparisons. The deal breaker for me was that they said their "playback" boxes in the bedrooms would not be able to initiate recordings or pause and ff live tv. Also they could not tell me how much it would go up after the first year. The offer they made me was whole home dvr and internet for 129.00 per month but absolutely NO contract. Only upfront charge was 49.00 installation fee. Calling DTV I got a counter offer of new hddvr for 99 replace incompatable h20 with an h21 and replace an old sd tivo unit with newest sd dvr both free of charge and half off the MRV installation charge. So I could have wound up with 2 hd dvrs 1 sd dvr 1 hd receiver MRV install for 160.00. Of course that would trigger a new 2 yr contract. I havent took them up on it just yet but had them note the offer on my account.

tw offered me 79 for a year, 99 for next year, for the rr i have, the dvr/digital stuff and their phone that i dont need...and to buy my contract, im assuming yes they want a contract.. i havent asked yet.. ive been working pretty much non stop since their initial call, and they dont follow instructions.. i told them to call me in the morning before work so id have time to talk, they called me at 8pm.. while i was at work.. sent to voicemail.

I had the same offer a couple weeks ago and seriously did some comparisons. The deal breaker for me was that they said their "playback" boxes in the bedrooms would not be able to initiate recordings or pause and ff live tv. Also they could not tell me how much it would go up after the first year. The offer they made me was whole home dvr and internet for 129.00 per month but absolutely NO contract. Only upfront charge was 49.00 installation fee. Calling DTV I got a counter offer of new hddvr for 99 replace incompatable h20 with an h21 and replace an old sd tivo unit with newest sd dvr both free of charge and half off the MRV installation charge. So I could have wound up with 2 hd dvrs 1 sd dvr 1 hd receiver MRV install for 160.00. Of course that would trigger a new 2 yr contract. I havent took them up on it just yet but had them note the offer on my account.

One of the main points they wanted to make with me is that there absolutely NO contract. Cancel anytime and bring the boxes to them is what I was told. I still like Directv better for right now anyway.

Also they could not tell me how much it would go up after the first year. .

I was having lunch one day at a restaurant and at the next booth was obviously a sales manager for the local T-W cable company who was training somebody. He was talking so loud I couldn't help hearing. I remember him telling the trainee that she was NEVER to disclose any prices beyond the promotional new customer rate. I guess he figured if people really knew what they'd end up paying they'd never a subscribe. We get our phone and internet with T-W and they're always calling with the latest deal to get us to switch and they never will give me a straight answer. Must be company policy.

Yea it was funny though when I signed up for the internet the lady told me that it would go up probably 10 to 12 bucks but they would call me about 45 days out and let me know if there were any promos going on then. The saleslady that was selling the tv package was like you said couldnt tell me anything other than it would go up at least whatever the WholeHomeDVR would be at the time since it was supposedly 12 months free on the promo. That is another difference between them and Directv. You know after a promo that it will go up to the price of the package plus about the normal 2 bucks they add every year so no mysteries.

update, yea, they said no contract, so i called direct.. honestly just to ask the buyout.. see options.. cuz i enjoy the service and bigger dvr.. they offered to upgrade my bedroom to hd, give me whole home, and $20 off/month.. i renewed without looking back.

I have no issues with a contract. I dont see the big deal to be honest.

But I am glad they did something for you. I really do believe DirecTV does the best to keep there customers.

And they do give out loyalty gifts each yr on your anniversary. I got 2 HD DVRs free, Ive also been able to get numerous credits in past.

When the Ticket(NFL) went up i was able to get the To Go free since I was a directv customer before with Superfan. So the lady added it and offered me 10 of a month for 6 months for the ticket. I like some are willing to take whatever they offer.

Heck If they offered 2 HD DVRS for 1 price, I likely would of taken it. But when I saw the loyalty, I took them on the offer.

Actually got better deal on the phone from the CSR.

From my experience with DirecTV and TW, I can't stand TW, the phone is terrible, no NFL Network, less channels, more expensive at least in my area. But the one good thing is RR, but its expensive too. If it was same around verizon id sign up but for 54.95 in my area, I wont do it

yea, ive been more than pleased with the service. i keep recomending it to friends too.. and not just for the credit

Status
Please reply by conversation.