International News & Wild Feeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chickiehaute

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
Hi everyone, my name is Chickie. I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico with a special interest in FTA International News and Wild Feeds as a hobby from C-Band and Ku-Band.

I'm a noob with regards to equipment and resources. I am quite overwhelmed with the threads here on the message board (you have an extraordinary amount of info!), as I have made a brave attempt to search, with not much success for the answers I am seeking - it's like looking for a needle in a haystack :bow.

I really need some guidance as to how big of a dish I need based in my Southern USA location (I've been told 8' is "satisfactory, but is it?). I have an acre of land out behind my house, so space is not an issue.

I have no idea where or how to obtain a dish. I have made many calls to get more information locally from dealers and nobody seems to have any ideas, or resources for me to obtain one. It's like C-Band / Ku-Band have become and ancient form of technology when I know they haven't! (Just rare).

I'm open to buying a new dish, as opposed to dealing with something used that needs mods or repairs, etc.

Referrals for local dealers in the West and Southwest are very much welcomed.

Also, need to understand what sort of remote equipment I need to adjust the azimuth on the dish, as well as receivers, descramblers, etc.

Thanks very much in advance for your help folks!

Chickie

Hi Chickie, Welcome to satellite guys/gals. Since you have the space I'd recommend C-Band and a second dish for kU band feeds. That one should be .9 cm or larger. With that combination you should be able to hunt down most of the feeds that are up there. Keep an eye on Craigslist. There are frequently a few deals up there. There was a nice Ku band dish up there a few weeks ago but its gone now. This is the only listing I see up there now. I'm not sure how big this C-Band dish is. It looks a little on the small side to me. I could be wrong.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/for/4385007113.html

Well that’s a start anyway. BTW There are several members here in New Mexico. I'm in NE Albuquerque.

Keep asking questions. There are a lot of people here to help.

Reactions: chickiehaute
Not many brick and mortar satellite dealers around that deal with FTA. Most 'satellite dealers' are only salesmen for D15H or Diwrecked. FTA is pretty much a DIY hobby.
A good 8 ft dish would serve you well, but there's some high FEC 'signals' that may not work so well. 10 ft has been the 'go to' size with some utilizing larger 12 to 16 ft. 'Rule of thumb' for dishes is 'bigger is better'.
Another source for a C band dish (BUD) is in the thread
Kijiji, eBay, and Craigslist dishes for you to take a look at in the C Band section. One may show up near you. There's always 'the hunt' where you keep an 'eye out' and knock on the door. Refurbishing an experienced dish has been done by many.
As far as what you may get for 'full time 'channels' I'd say take a look at Mikes lists at MPEG Central.

4 digit frequencies, C band, require a BUD. 8ft or greater.
5 digit frequencies, Ku band, recommend 90cm (36 inch) or greater 'offset style' dish.
They also can be made to move to every satellite available with a 'motor'.
The receivers utilize DVB with DVB-S2 becoming more and more common(and a necessity today).
Happy hunting and welcome to satelliteguys.

8 ft dish works fine with me in Rio Rancho for and c and ku. I got mine from Craigslist. There are Intl news stations especially on Ku band.

Talk to wallyhts or ke4est they are vendors talk to them. Start out with ku first then go c band thats how I started out baby steps. Once you get ku then go to c band.

Welcome to satelliteguys

For international news on Ku band, I´d recommend Galaxy 19 @97w, Al Etejah, Press TV, RT (Russia Today), CNC World News and Ukranian 1 (are international news channels all in english) and also on Ku Galaxy 3C @95w, CCTV News.

Welcome to the Group Chickie & Nicky

the simple way to start is like mentioned with a small dish for ku and work from there ( unless you find a c band dish first. the way i started was i went looking for inactive dishes and then contacted the owners. prime example was primestar dishes ( these are no longer used ) and are perfect for FTA.

it only took a week or so and i found 2 or 3 for the picking ( free) c-band took a little more work but also located several for free or small fee ( of course i had to remove & move them) setup for one seems a bit dificult but these folks here at the site can walk most anyone through setting up a dish :)
again welcome to the site :)

Nicky, Also Welcome to satelliteguys

I forgot to mention on C band, 58W, will give you International news, with France 24 (available both in english and french), Deutsche Welle, NHK World, CCTV News is also there.

Thanks for the welcome and all the informations, lots to absorb but i am sure we will be asking questions, Just need to find a sidh to start, i have a truck to carry it, to start.

Nicky, Also Welcome to satelliteguys

I forgot to mention on C band, 58W, will give you International news, with France 24 (available both in english and french), Deutsche Welle, NHK World, CCTV News is also there.
I don’t think we can hit 58W from Albuquerque. We have a pesky 10,500+ foot mountain to the east that kind of gets in the way.

Yes and no but that would be better once you get used Ku not off the bat. I have with those dishes but they are not that great. Get your self a 36'' round dish with a linear lnb Ku band and a micro HD receiver that should help you out.

Can a dish network dish be good for anything besides scrap metal?

What size? If it's an old Superdish, it might already have a linear FSS LNBF on it, and is big enough to pick up some but not all Ku-band channels. If it's another large-ish dish, you'll have to find a way to adapt a different LNBF to fit it. If it's a really old 18" dish, there are a few things strong enough to pick up (again, with a different LNBF), but I wouldn't recommend it.

Welcome to the site! There is a lot of good information on here, and good people! I myself am new to FTA, and I suggest a 90cm dish KU band, as this is my first setup. I am hooked on CCTV news, and news in general that is not the main stream news networks here in the USA! I second 95W Galaxy 3C for news only....I will be adding my second dish soon for 97W Galaxy 19, unless I park it on 30W Hispasat. Anyway....welcome...you guys are in good hands here!

Cheers!:welcome

Welcome to the site! There is a lot of good information on here, and good people! I myself am new to FTA, and I suggest a 90cm dish KU band, as this is my first setup. I am hooked on CCTV news, and news in general that is not the main stream news networks here in the USA! I second 95W Galaxy 3C for news only....I will be adding my second dish soon for 97W Galaxy 19, unless I park it on 30W Hispasat. Anyway....welcome...you guys are in good hands here!

Cheers!:welcome

I think you also mentioned in a previous post you like CCTV 9 Doc, it has good stuff. Since you like a different (international) perspective on news, I´m sure you´ll enjoy your second dish parked at G19 (97W) for the channels I mentioned before.
Hispasat used to have also Press tv, and Al Etejah, but not anymore, nonetheless, the Cuban channels offer a good number of US shows and US, and international movies commercial free. :D

Reactions: TheHamNerd
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)