Internet Explorer 8

AllieVi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Temecula, CA (area)
I've had Internet Explorer 8 on my computer for a few months and just took it off and went back to 7. Best move I ever made!

I didn’t realize just how terrible IE 8 performance was on my machine. Now that I’m back on 7, pages load faster, scrolling is quicker and the computer simply works better. I tried tweaking the options on IE 8, but nothing seemed to help. It has some interesting features that I never really used, so I don’t feel deprived.

Maybe my computer just doesn’t have enough horsepower to make IE 8 work right. I have a Dell notebook with XP Professional, 2 GB RAM and 1.6 GHz Centrino processor.

Just curious – is my experience with IE 8 out of the norm?

I've been testing IE 8 on at least 3 different computers and performance is not an issue at all. It has crashed a few times but speed has not been an issue.

I have an old HP Pavillion running a Celeron 1.6 with 2g RAM and a 7200 rpm 80 gig Seagate HD. I have turned off a lot of the system processes that are not needed by using msconfig startup. I have also reinstalled the OS and all the Drivers twice since I have owned the old thing. I do regular maintenance and keep it updated. I will never purchase anything with a Celeron again though. With that said IE 8 RC1 runs fine on it. I have not observed any performance issues at all. I will be glad when the final version comes out. my2cents:) obtw I am buying a new desktop with an i7-965 processor. I don't think I will have any performance issues because of a limited cpu anymore.

Yeah never had any issues as well. Could be something else you had loaded like a add-on or going to sites that are not yet ready for 8. If you go to a site that it seems to crash on make sure to use the Compatiblity Mode on that site.

Yeah never had any issues as well. Could be something else you had loaded like a add-on or going to sites that are not yet ready for 8. If you go to a site that it seems to crash on make sure to use the Compatiblity Mode on that site.
I did use the compatibility mode, but that didn’t help much. Satelliteguys is one of the sites that took an agonizing amount of time to load. Once on here, scrolling was erratic and slow. I’d click on a link and it would take a long time to appear. Going back to 7 has eliminated all the performance problems.

Since others aren’t having trouble, it must be something specific to my configuration.

I've had issues with IE8 though not to the extent that you have. I remember on xp that there was an option to have windows fix one of its components but I havent found that option in vista yet.

AllieVi,
Hi, my name’s Feran and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to provide assistance and help answer questions people might have about Internet Explorer.
IE8 is a release candidate and therefore it is still in its final testing stages and may have some bugs.
You may want to consider IE8 when the final version is ready. To stay updated for when the final IE8 release is announced you can check out the IEBlog blogsdotmsdndotcom/ie/ .
I hope this helps!
Feran
Internet Explorer Outreach Team

I am running RC 1 and I can not install Flash which is anoying...

I also ALWAYS have the banner that says IE is running add ons disabled BUT when you go look it says they are ALL enabled.

Think Im going to ditch IE shortly now that Chrome is working alot better than what it did a while ago, IE's been sluggish lately loading images while Chrome has been loading like its hardwired into the server.

Am I the only one that finds it odd / unsettling that someone from M$ just happens to suddenly show up in this thread?

It is not surprising, most big companies now have people (or contracted out to other companies) monitoring the web for their products. Companies now have to watch for problems and work to head them off on the web before they get out of hand.

Am I the only one that finds it odd / unsettling that someone from M$ just happens to suddenly show up in this thread?

Van, I was thinking the same thing. Does MS have people paid to troll around the net all day looking for complaints? Outreach Team? I'd like to have that job.

Van,

Please don’t be unsettled by my presence here. My team and I are simply trying to help answer questions and provide assistance to those who may need it – we are not spam, trolls etc.

Thanks,

Feran

Paradox-SJ
In regard to your issues with adobe this may help – I found it on another site and it seemed to solve the problem....
Just click the start button and type "Internet"

That should give you three Internet explorer options... as follows:
"Internet Explorer" is the standard 32 bit version... best for most if not all users
"Internet Explorer (64 Bit)" is the 64 bit version has no real world benefits to the average user, suffers compatibility problems.
"Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)" is a "vanilla"/(Fresh) 32 bit version of internet explorer (is good for trouble shooting)

If you click "Internet Explorer" the 32 bit version should open and you should be able to add adobe flash etc. with no issues...
You can see version you have open (32/64bit) by looking in task manager, (right click taskbar and select "Task Manager)
Under the processes tab, you can see iexplore.exe running in the left column. Now iexplore.exe is the 64 bit version and iexplore *32 is the 32 bit version.
convert 64 bit browser to a 32 bit browser - DELL COMMUNITY

I hope this helps!

Feran

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts