Interpreting HD counters

JayStil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
My 722 has been acting up for a couple of months now. I think it's exhibiting signs of hard drive failure, but not 100% sure. It was frozen when I got up this morning, a reboot brought it back. Live and paused TV have been fine over the 2 month period, as has playback of older recordings (from before it started acting up). Newer recordings will stutter and freeze so much as to be basically unwatchable. I've attached pics of the counters listed in the hard drive section of diagnostics. Anybody see anything concerning? I'm guessing the failure count of "1" on the last counter probably isn't good.

Diag1.jpgDiag2.jpgDiag3.jpg

Also under "Analysis" the "Hard Drive" button is greyed out and not selectable. Is this supposed to be the case?

TIA for any input.

You might want to look at the date of the latest file system check (fsck) way down the list. Mine recently on 722 had a date in the future--not good. With the monthly check it corrected itself--now where are the diagnostics on Hopper?--found it before. Monthly is in the same menu as fsck (Menu+6+3+Counters+Page downs on 722.) The fsck should be run every day or the recorder will get weird. Three days without one and it barely works.
-Ken

Thanks KKlare, it appears to be regularly running the fsck. Twice yesterday, around 2:45am and 8:30pm.

The drive was showing "full" in the Recordings "History" so I deleted a bunch of stuff that I hadn't gotten around (and probably wouldn't have) to watching. We'll see if that does anything for it.

My file system check shows 0: 06-25-13 12:40am. Why would mine not run regularly? It is hooked to a phone line plus the Internet plus updates every night at 3am. Any suggestions ?

My file system check shows 0: 06-25-13 12:40am. Why would mine not run regularly? It is hooked to a phone line plus the Internet plus updates every night at 3am. Any suggestions ?

It probably is. There has been some sort of bug with that counter since the beginning of the year.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

That is what I described, fsck for June. It did not change on my then 722 until the monthly checkup. I worried about that but it survived, somehow. There is no way to force a fsck that I know of--although I might try a soft reboot (front panel hold on/off) and if that did not work then a hard reboot (power pull). So you may have to wait a month. Now if I could find the equivalent of Menu+6+3 on the Hopper. System Status says it will stop recording and M63 never did--I've seen it, just don't have it in the finger memory.
-Ken

You might want to look at the date of the latest file system check (fsck) way down the list. Mine recently on 722 had a date in the future--not good. With the monthly check it corrected itself--now where are the diagnostics on Hopper?--found it before. Monthly is in the same menu as fsck (Menu+6+3+Counters+Page downs on 722.) The fsck should be run every day or the recorder will get weird. Three days without one and it barely works.
-Ken

They are at SETTINGS; NETWORK SETUP; TESTS. Then select VIEW COUNTERS.
Yes, horribly UNintuitive. NO, it is not in DIAGNOSTICS. Perhaps the engineer feel that the info is not truly DIAGNOSTIC and are really TESTS. Who knows, but different logic from the ViP's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)