Invacom Quad and Motor Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Joe G.

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Peoria, AZ 85383
I want to know how to connect a Invacom Quad Polar LNB w/ a 40mm horn to the dish motor and to a Spaun DMS 5802 NF multi-switch. Do I still need to get a 2 x 1 DISEqc switch if I have that multi-switch??. ON my quad LNB - it is as follows, from left to right- C , L , C , L - when I tried to test for a signal with my satlink WS 6908 satellite finder ,on the first C- it said antenna over-load, on my first L -I used that port to align my dish to galaxy 19- On the next port 3 & 4- they both had no signals- I used the last port- port 4 (L ) to connect to my dish motor and it does not move- should I connect my motor to port 1 (c) or use a 2 x 1 DISEqc switch before the motor to connect port 1 & 2 ( C, L ) to the lnb port on the motor to get both Circular & linear movement- I am so confused at this point- have been at this since Sept. without any progress. Any advice from any one will be greatly appreciated- lost & confused- Thanks- Joe G.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Joe G.
The motor should be the first thing connected to the receiver. Then the switch and then to the LNBF's
Receiver>>motor>>switch>>LNBF's

Pretty old thread to resurrect, don't be surprised if a moderator splits it off into it's own thread.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Joe G.!!!

Yes always put your motor first, most switches cannot handle the current.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Joe G.
The motor should be the first thing connected to the receiver. Then the switch and then to the LNBF's
Receiver>>motor>>switch>>LNBF's

Pretty old thread to resurrect, don't be surprised if a moderator splits it off into it's own thread.
I don;t think I understand!!! I have two receivers, which one do I connect to??? If I think I understand- I go from the receiver, straight to the dish motor (REC ) side , then from the LNB side on the motor to the Spaun DMS 5802 NF multi-switch, then back to the LNB ??? The LNB has 4 ports, now , how do they go connected before going to Spaun switch, which has four inputs and 8 outputs- (what )

getting back to my Invacom quad LNB to a Spaun DMS 5802 NF and the x2 premium receivers. On my last post I think I understand that you hook up 1 receiver to dish motor first ,but which one?? I understand that part- From the motor ,where does it goes connected on the multi-switch, the input side or the output side? Then from the switch, the other three cables coming from the LNB, do they go into the input side of the switch. Then the other receiver, I assume it goes connected on the output side of the switch. I plan to add to more receivers to this switch evenually down the road if I can ever get this thing going. Do I plug up the ports on the switch that I am not using???- Thanks- Joe G.

Getting back to my Invacom Quad LNB- coming out of the LNB, which port is going to the switch- my switch is as follows on the input side- 1ma-2ma- 3ma 4ma- do I hook them up exactly like my lnb C -1ma, L-2ma,C-m3,L-4ma, then mu out put is as follows: rec-1 , rec-2, rec-3, rec-4, ,rec-5, rec-6, rec-7, rec-8- on which one do I hook up the motor to???

I want to make sure that I don;t screw up anything- I am sending a diagram of how I have it hooked up presently- please show me what to do- I will be grateful for any help in this setup- Thank you- Joe G.

Attachments

• d ish.pdf
    176.5 KB · Views: 311
hook up 1 receiver to dish motor first ,but which one?? I
The one that will do the satellite selection. Only one can do that. The second receiver will be connected directly to the multiswitch. (This could be called a slave(d) receiver)
In this FAQ post #7 Anole covers multiswitches Good Read.
In the posts attached picture, your motor would lie between one of the receivers and the multiswitch. That would be the 'master' the others - slaves.
Is it necessary for both receivers to select satellite? There is a way around that, with caveats,

Last edited:
First, a question about the need for the circular outputs. What satellite or channels do you watch that needs the DBS circular polarity? Very few channels are FTA on a circular polarity satellite.

Sharing a motorized dish between multiple receivers can be frustrating since all receivers only can watch the channels from the one selected satellite. A preferred way to provide service to multiple receivers is to have a dedicated dish with dual output LNBF for each satellite with a multi-switch to allow each receiver to independently select any channel from any satellite.

The way the switch is connected now, the motor probably only moves when linear port #1 is selected and both receivers can move the dish. This can be a problem if someone is watching a program on receiver #1 and another person selects a different channel on a different satellite on receiver #2. It will get even more difficult the more receivers that are added.

First, a question about the need for the circular outputs. What satellite or channels do you watch that needs the DBS circular polarity? Very few channels are FTA on a circular polarity satellite.

Sharing a motorized dish between multiple receivers can be frustrating since all receivers only can watch the channels from the one selected satellite. A preferred way to provide service to multiple receivers is to have a dedicated dish with dual output LNBF for each satellite with a multi-switch to allow each receiver to independently select any channel from any satellite.

The way the switch is connected now, the motor probably only moves when linear port #1 is selected and both receivers can move the dish. This can be a problem if someone is watching a program on receiver #1 and another person selects a different channel on a different satellite on receiver #2. It will get even more difficult the more receivers that are added.
Thanks for your feed-back

Right now , I have my dish pointed to 97. degrees west towards Galaxy 19( elevation 47.5 degrees N ) just to try ,align and get this thing going. Once I can get something going , I want to get on to galaxy 14,or whatever is on that elevation 0f 48.5 degrees N. I want to be able to enable my system for KU and C band. Right now, I am just trying to understand how to set up what I have.My confusion is where the 4 quad ports (C,L,C,L )go to.The first port (C) when I used my satlink sat finder-read antenna over load. The second port was used with the sat finder to locate satellite and signal, while 3rd ^ 4th port read no signal. I just can't get anything on my receivers.I understand that from motor ,it goes to the motor rec port- where does the lnb port on the motor go to, which LNB port???As far as it is wired now, it doesn;t move or do anything- I keep getting no programs found and lots of :please wait while dish motor reference point is acheived: but nothing is moving or happening. What satellite or channels would you recommend??? Why would I need DBS circular polarity. This is the first time I have ever had a satellite system. -Thanks you for your feed-back- Joe G

can anyone tell me how to connect the quad lnb to dish motor. Which port on the LNB (port 1-C,-port2-L,port3-c,port4-L ) goes to the dish motor lnb port

Joe, I merged your other thread you started into this one.
Making another thread in the operations center will not get you any help.
This thread is in the best place.
Not only is that the wrong forum to ask a technical question about a satellite dish, most that read that forum would not even know what Invacom is. :)

Why are you needing circular polarity?
There is nothing that is FTA that I know that you can get from AZ that is circular.

Not only is that the wrong forum to ask a technical question about a satellite dish, most that read that forum would not even know what Invacom is. :)

There is nothing that is FTA that I know that you can get from AZ that is circular.
I am sorry that I went this way. I am not familiar with your protocal-as for the circular polarity, I am very new to to the FTA system and am just trying to make sure that I have what I need when ever I get this thing going without knowing that circular polarity is not common to FTA. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be bothering any-one, since I am new to this field and can't get any answers from the sellers, I have to ask. I won't waste your time anymore-Joe G.

No one here is trying to be rude and we love helping new comers.

What is it that you are trying to get with your FTA set-up?
Have you got it working at all yet? What Satellite and what channels did you receive?
What receiver and dish do you have?
Let's start with the basics and work our way up.

Until you get everything figured out, remove the switch and the motor. The extra receiver, switch and motor will only make your initial install frustrating and much more difficult. You can install these later once you have received the satellite signal and confirm the system equipment is working and properly installed. Your aiming coordinates seem off for your location. Please verify that you are in Peoria, AZ, 85383.

Mount the dish to a plumb and level post and directly connect the coax cable from one receiver to the L (linear) port of the LNBF. Place the receiver and a small TV next to the dish.

In the receiver install menu, select satellite 97w KU and set these menu settings:
LNB type: Single or KU
LNB LO Frequency: 10750
22KHz: OFF
LNB Power: On or Auto

Select this Transponder: Frequency: 12152, Polarity: Horizontal, Symbol Rate (SR): 20000

For Peoria, AZ 85383 as per www.dishpointer.com website:
Set the dish Elevation to approximately: 44.6°
Aim the dish to approximately: 134.3° and identify a landmark in the far distance that lines up with this approximate compass reading. (97w is the satellite orbital position above the equator, and not your compass reading).
Rotate the LNBF to approximately : -28.5°
arrow-l.png

Watch the Signal Quality Meter Reading and SLOWLY pan the dish East and West 15-20° on each side of the landmark. If no signal Quality reading, increase the dish elevation angle by 1° and SLOWLY pan the dish East and West 15-20° on each side of the landmark. If no signal Quality reading, increase the dish elevation angle by 1° and SLOWLY pan the dish East and West 15-20° on each side of the landmark. If no signal Quality reading, continue to increase or decrease the dish elevation angle by 1° increments and SLOWLY pan the dish East and West 15-20° on each side of the landmark. Repeat until you observe a Signal Quality Meter Reading and optimize to peak for best Signal Quality reading.

So do I not use the circular connections on my quad LNB?Anyway you could send me a drawing to wire from receiver-motor-switch-lnb???

Joe G.

Are you using the Invacom QPH-031? If so I had the exact same LNB as you have when I first started out. There are two L (linear polarization) connections and two C (circular polarization) connections. If you are interested in receiving FTA satellite in the Ku band in the USA you'll only use the "L" connections. Invacom includes instructions with each LNB with exactly how to connect them. You might want to Google that in the meantime. And welcome to FTA.

Joe G., as far as being lost and confused, you are not alone, as many of us were new to the hobby at one time and were in the same situation. It is understandable. Setting up a motorized dish is not a simple thing. As Titanium recommended, you might want to start with a stationary dish first; set the motor and DiSeQc aside and keep it simple for now. You have come to the right place as the folks here have lots of experience and can help you. Once your dish is up and running you'll be enjoying FTA for many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: FTA4PA
I have been out of state and I still haven't been able to get my system going. I tried the last settings from Oct. 29,2015- I replaced LNB with a universal LNBF , replaced reciever and by passed motor. I have hooked up just one of the linear connections and still no signal. I have used a signal meter and I get a 99% signal reading, but nothing on receiver. What gives- A friend of mine suggested that my dish could be warped. How can that be?? Please can anyone offer some support before I get ready to tear this thing down and trash it?? Any info as to what is going on will be greatly appreciated.- Joe G.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)