IOS 11 question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
I am trying to downgrade (in my opinion) to ios11 and need to know how to keep the phone I am working from deleting the contacts on my primary phone when I delete them from the one I am working on.

Yeah, turn on iCloud Sync on the old phone, synch everything you want to keep, turn on iCloud Synch on the new iPhone, wait until everything is there, and finally shut off Find my iPhone and all other iCloud services on the old iPhone. You should have everything.

Or, backup your old iPhone and setup your new iPhone from the backup. That can be done to iCloud or a local computer running iTunes.

iOS experts-
I have an ipad air 2. Rarely use it these days but I wanted to render out some videos to watch while on the treadmill. I have them in wmv format and looked online to see if that would be compatible. The Google searches claimed wmv would not play on my ipad air 2. But I uploaded to my Dropbox account and they play fine. However only from Dropbox and not after downloading to the ipad. I'm currently rendering in mov file format so I don't need the internet. Just wonder if any of you know if there is a way to get the ipad to play wmv files.

If there are truly no native players, you'll need to use some manner of local media server that will perform the conversion for the iPad2.

Some media players will serve up streams that are converted on-the-fly. VLC is one such media player. PowerDVD is an example of a commercial ($$) player for Windows.

Some of the more sophisticated Network Attached Storage devices can perform media server functions.

I have powerDVD. It is an excellent product with lots of features but not for ipad.

I completed the rendering conversion of mov now so I'm just going to go that route.

Plex should transcode on the fly to an iPad compatible format. You would have to set up Plex Media Server on a computer and the plex app on the iPad.

Edit: I think you have to pay to use the Plex iPad app for anything other than a casting remote.

Plex can serve up media files without a client app but control depends on the device's media player and that may or may not stink on ice.

I don't have experience at home with the Synology NAS but they have a + line of NAS that will transcode on the fly and iOS Apps for viewing. But your solution of saving in an open standard format is probably best.

At work I end up renaming MP4 files to .WMV so our IIS server understands the extension. It's easier for me to do that then adding the IIS configuration change to understand the MP4 extension... ;)

Most NAS devices come with some sort of media server now and if they don't have one, there's often one available (Twonky or Plex). The issue is that the cheaper devices don't have the horsepower to decode some of the more complex schemes and that's where a conventional computer with a modern display adapter will serve one better.

IIS is another bit of irrefutable evidence that the Internet and Microsoft have never been particularly well acquainted.

Reactions: Foxbat
I have IOS 11.4 this morning my phone was in my truck and it decided to call 911 . Has anyone else had it call a number on its own. My wife said maybe the phone was hot and wanted help .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)