iOS 11

I have been underwhelmed since iOS 5...

but you guys know I am weird, my phone runs on Windows.

Apple's stock value seems to be only minimally depressed by the announcements so there must not have been much significance to what was (or wasn't) announced.

I'm not all that happy about Apple adopting a new image format at this point. It may be the future, but HEIF is pretty new to be springing on a world so entrenched in JPEG. Knowing Apple, they'll force you to e-mail the pictures to gain access to the utility to convert them to something more interoperable.

Calling rejiggered task switching metaphors "multitasking" has always been an annoyance for me.

Seems like iOS 11 leaves a relatively large number of device generations in the dust. Maybe I've lost track of all of the unsupported stuff.

It looks like my 4th Gen iPad from 2012 is finally getting left behind in terms of iOS updates. Up until now I haven't felt the need to upgrade because it still handles my simple requirements nicely (web browsing, kindle app, MLB.tv, and occasional Netflix viewing on the road for the most part).

Now the only question is whether I go with the cheap iPad for $329 or go with the new iPad Pro for $649. As of right now I'm leaning towards the cheap model. It should still be quite a bit faster than my current iPad and I don't care about the Apple Pencil or Smart Connector.

The new iPad Pro would be more likely to last me the 5 years my current iPad did but when it costs almost twice as much as the standard iPad I might be better off going cheaper and upgrading more often. I'm not sure I can justify the extra $320 for my use case.

Reactions: Jillian2
I bought the 9.7 iPad Pro last year so I'm hoping to wait at least another year before being tempted again. Hopefully the expanded dock and updated task switcher aren't hardware dependent.

My wife's iPad 3 still works just fine. Was left behind in s/w updates some time ago. No need to update.

Reactions: TheForce
I loaded iOS 11 on my iPhone and not much different. The messages in iCloud is not working yet.

There seems to be a bug with brightness as mine keeps getting very dim and auto brightness is off.

Seems strange having cell phone bars again after having dots for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

My wife's iPad 3 still works just fine. Was left behind in s/w updates some time ago. No need to update.

I suppose just sticking it out with the iPad 4 would be an option. I probably won't be doing it though. I would prefer to have the same OS on my iPhone 6 and my iPad. I'm also not thrilled about the idea of no more security updates on a device I use that much and eventually some apps will require iOS 11. I have also gotten 5 years out of the iPad 4 so I don't feel that bad about upgrading, especially at $329.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the iPad 4. It's in good condition but it's 5 years old, it's end of life for software updates, and there is a brand new model for $329. It can't be worth very much at this point.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
That depends on what you mean by broke, doesn't it?

Some see broken as a physical failure. Others see being obsolete for the functions it was intended to implement as being broken.

It is surprising how many will pop for a several hundred dollar item that ends up doing just one thing that you never would have purchased it for. The TV production crew I work with uses an iPad exclusively as a sound file player. It is nearly the worst imaginable tool for that job but what do you do with an iPad in a truck that doesn't have an Internet connection? I suppose you could use it as a 1KHz audio tone source but there's no way to calibrate the output level.

Broke, I suppose, includes an app we use, Mixologist. I gather there is more than one app by that name.

Apple has been warning it is inefficient, wastes memory and should be updated. Now they flat out say it won't work with future OS updates.

Sigh. App seems to have been abandoned.

I'm still watching the WWDC Keynote. I'm stopping for now, in there middle of the iOS 11 stuff. But Scott has to be excited about us being able iMessage him money!

I liked just about everything I saw, especially the new Mac Pro with 18 cores. Only disappointed that there was no mention at all on the next iphone.

I also have an ipad 3 here that my wife uses. It was an expensive one with 64GB and Verizon cellular. But last year I disabled the phone number altogether since we just use tethering now. Saved $45 a month off my Verizon bill. I haven't checked but it doesn't seem to be restricted. I should check what iOS is is at. I also have the original ipad and the grandkids play a few games on it. My ipad is an air2 and it works great. I now use it as my main screen for my drone.

If Apple offers a full 4K screen on the new iphone 8, I plan on getting one. I need the 4K screen for my VR goggles. The iphone 6+ is just too grainy in the goggles. If Apple doesn't give us a 4K screen, then I plan on buying a Sony that offers a true 4096 UHD HDR screen early next year. Need to do more research on this first.

I was a little confused on the wOS4 as to how much will be supported on the original Apple watch. I know the swimming apps are not supported, only on the watch 2 that has water proof capability but the other new features look really interesting.

harshness- I wouldn't worry too much about the Apple stock. If it goes down to $145, I'll start buying more again. There is just way too much growth potential with Apple. It always falls off after these big announcements then recovers to even higher highs.

I bought the 9.7 iPad Pro last year so I'm hoping to wait at least another year before being tempted again. Hopefully the expanded dock and updated task switcher aren't hardware dependent.

If you have an iPad Pro already not worth it.

They will most likely introduce a better display next year, they are due for a major new design and new retina screen because it's been couple years since they made any significant changes to their Retina display.

Your current iPad will do just fine with ios11.
They really need to consider wireless fast charging, in terms of tech specs Apple is trailing other companies, but this is bound to change next year when they going to make a huge leap.

Also they did not improve battery life, the new iPads battery life is gonna be the same as the current iPad Pro, another disappointment. One would think two years into the pro cycle that they would improve their battery life with faster hardware, I expect the new iPad battery life to be worse than the current version.

I liked just about everything I saw, especially the new Mac Pro with 18 cores. Only disappointed that there was no mention at all on the next iphone.

I also have an ipad 3 here that my wife uses. It was an expensive one with 64GB and Verizon cellular. But last year I disabled the phone number altogether since we just use tethering now. Saved $45 a month off my Verizon bill. I haven't checked but it doesn't seem to be restricted. I should check what iOS is is at. I also have the original ipad and the grandkids play a few games on it. My ipad is an air2 and it works great. I now use it as my main screen for my drone.

If Apple offers a full 4K screen on the new iphone 8, I plan on getting one. I need the 4K screen for my VR goggles. The iphone 6+ is just too grainy in the goggles. If Apple doesn't give us a 4K screen, then I plan on buying a Sony that offers a true 4096 UHD HDR screen early next year. Need to do more research on this first.

I was a little confused on the wOS4 as to how much will be supported on the original Apple watch. I know the swimming apps are not supported, only on the watch 2 that has water proof capability but the other new features look really interesting.

harshness- I wouldn't worry too much about the Apple stock. If it goes down to $145, I'll start buying more again. There is just way too much growth potential with Apple. It always falls off after these big announcements then recovers to even higher highs.

I was considering the wifi model over the cellular one too, $20 a month in my opinion is not worth it (AT&T) plus I have my cellphone on me all the times so tethering can be used, I find myself finding wifi spots almost everywhere. Also it's nice to save $150...

I installed iOS 11 on my iPhone. I do like the new Control Center, other than that no really big things stick out at me other than some things are different. It won't run 32 bit apps anymore. Other than that everything I have tried to use works without issue.

I installed WatchOS 4 on my 1st Gen Apple Watch, and I haven't noticed any changes there, there is no automated watch face as was shown nor are there the Toy Story Watch Faces shown off.

Broke, I suppose, includes an app we use, Mixologist. I gather there is more than one app by that name.

Apple has been warning it is inefficient, wastes memory and should be updated. Now they flat out say it won't work with future OS updates.

Sigh. App seems to have been abandoned.

I've read they are doing that to some apps that aren't written to support 64 bit.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts