iOS 4.2 Coming Friday

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
iOS 4.2 coming Friday with iTunes and Mac OS X updates, sans AirPrint? November 10, 2010 10:57 by Joseph L. Flatley We knew it was coming, and now we're hearing from MacStories (and their source at AT&T, who was probably wearing a trench coat and fedora) that iOS 4.2 for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad will roll out beginning this Friday, November 12, at 10AM PST. Of course, in order to take advantage AirPlay we'll have to see an update to iTunes as well, which is good because iTunes 10.1 is rumored to be coming tomorrow at some point. But that ain't all! It seems that the website of note for Mac stories has been hearing from devs that references to AirPrint have been disappearing from online documentation in the iOS developer center, leading to speculation that Mac OS X 10.6.5 (also rumored to hit tomorrow) will not have the ability to print wirelessly after all. We can't speak to the veracity of all these claims, but we're pretty sure we can look forward to a new OS for our Apple handhelds before the week is over. Source: MacStories (iOS 4.2), AirPrint

Airprint is a really needed feature. It probably has something to do with the vast array of possible printers and of course no iOS drivers for any of them. They would need to convert to postscript or something and transmit it to a computer program that used the widows/apple OS drivers to actually print. Then of course you probably have to have some program running all the time on your PC.

HP has an App for printing from the iPhone, but it was limited in what could be printed and even though it had no problem finding my CP1518ni, it timed-out after 3 minutes or so. I was really looking forward to AirPrint.

I guess we're waiting for the new iTunes to go with iOS 4.2. Also, my AppleTV is at 4.0, so will it go to 4.2 to be consistent?

People who get so worked up over stuff like this need some real problems to occupy their time.

Or just perhaps, they use this minutia in order to stress relief from the problems of their real life. Got plenty of short deadlines, conflicting requirements, certification threats, etc that i try to escape at night by thinking about this stuff. When I start thinking about airplane design at night, then you can worry about me :)

jay- life is too short to worry and worry just makes your life shorter especially stuff like this you have no control over. Analysis and planning on stuff you have control is not worry. I fall asleep with soft music or a boring movie. Worrying never puts me to sleep. Besides, I was referring to how they spend their days, not sleepless nights. pleasant dreams! PS- I'm not worried about you! :)

I updated my ipad and PC with itunes 10.1.0.54 but have seen no reference to the ipad 4.2 upgrade.

How often do you all sync your ipad? Mine took 4 hours today before the upgrade would be allowed. I do have 29Gb of videos, apps, and photos on it.

Rumor date now is November 24th.:( for 4.2

I'm not a big sync person. I think the last time was 3 or months ago. iPhone the same.

I did the same thing Don. It took about the same time, maybe a little less, and I have approximately half of my 60GB iPad full.

From the sling adapter thread, Scott said there was a wifi problem with ipad 4.2 and it has been delayed, retesting 4.2.1 now. The ipad app is using code from 4.2 so it also is delayed.

It is looking like 4.2 is going to be released today. It is showing on the Apple site that you can update now. I tried but the update is not available yet. Looking at other sites it appears that it should be available at 10AM PT.

4.2 is officially available through iTunes. I am downloading the update right now.

The release notes show that this update does include airprint.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)