Ip Mepg4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
noticed that one of the features of DVB World Box is IP MEPG4. I'm assuming that means the pc hooked to the box can pick up data tps? Anyone explored that sort of thing?

I haven't. I'm pretty sure that's for the satellite internet access stuff. Do a little research; you can subscribe to it. I hear it's pretty big over in Europe. But it's not quite like cable/dsl...you'll have to dial into the server...only the downstream is via satellite. Oh my gosh, dial up internet...I get chills just thinking about it.

The box does not do the decoding, it all depends on the software and codec you use. Right now there aren't any mpeg4 streams you can get, I think what it means is you can stream mpeg4 over internet/lan.

But in theory, could it be used to pick up mpeg 4 tv channels off of a data tp? I doubt it, but just figured it was worth asking.

Yes, it could be used to pick up mpeg4 channels. BUT, just like the Twinhan 1020a and others, it will need a software based MPEG4 decoder to work. All these PCI sat cards and the USB boxes do, is tune the sat frequencies and make the data stream available to an application that is able to control the box/card and grab the data and use it to create video & audio. (that's an over simplification, but, I think you get what I'm saying) Sat cards like the Nexus-s have an onboard MPEG2 decoder chip that proccesses the data stream and decodes MPEG2 video & audio and feeds it to a controlling application. (and that one is very expensive, but, allows using a slower pc to run it).
grusome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)