ipad2 -- New rumors / announcements

Somewhere I read that the 720p output via the component cable is not absolute even if the source is "HD". IIRC, movies (thus by extension, all videos?) were only output in 420p ??
You are probably talking about ICT.
It applies to DRM-ed content only, it is 540p and only at the publisher's choice.
Part of so called analog sunset...

Diogen.

Tks Diogen. You probably hit it there! (I wish I could find the source where I originally read about it...)

Don - I have both the composite and component cables (OEM versions; the 3rd-party "equivalents" were locked-out) and the operation / view is identical with either, with the component having the possibility of providing a higher-resolution signal to inputs in your system that can handle it. I don't have the VGA adapter so I can't compare to it. With either composite or component cable in use, only certain video or photo aps are enabled to port through the cable. The image appears on the TV screen and the controls remain on the 'Pad screen, like you described. However, with aps like Safari and Mail, the entire image remains on the 'Pad screen and nothing is output to the TV.

That's the same with the VGA cable.

Reviewing the video from Apple- the key word they use to describe the difference with the hdmi device is it mirrors the ipad screen content on the TV. Considering it is hdmi then it would also handle all the sound and by Apple's claim it is 1080p. Whether it works with the ipad1 is not yet confirmed anywhere I have seen. Most likely your TV being 16x9 will display the ipad screen in "pillar box" ( black bars either side ) and a movie in 16x9 will expand to full screen in 1080p. That is my guess how it will work ( with ipad2) In fact at 24:45 in the presentation it shows exactly that a pillar boxed on the 16x9 HD display of the ipad2 screen. Other interesting features is that it is software independent meaning it displays ALL apps. And also on the bullet list is that the dongle allows you to connect a charger to the dongle along side the hdmi cable. Pretty slick. Steve says that this design was requested by teachers to do classroom presentations.

So, will you be the first one to test with ipad1? :)

More- The device is now on Apple's website Here is what they say re ipad1 device:
Mirroring supported only by iPad 2.

Video out supports up to 1080p for iPad 2 and up to 720p for iPad, iPhone 4 and iPod touch (4th generation). Movies play at up to 720p.

Well, that sort of sucks!

More yet-

Overview

Use the Apple Digital AV Adapter to mirror whatever’s on your iPad 2 screen — apps, presentations, websites, and more — on your HDTV or HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p).

Watch slideshows and movies on the big screen in up to 720p by connecting your iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) to an HDTV or HDMI-compatible display.

The Apple Digital AV Adapter routes digital audio to screens that support it.

Connect the Apple Digital AV Adapter to your iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) via the 30-pin dock connector and to your HDMI-compatible display using an HDMI cable (sold separately).

A second 30-pin connector built into the AV adapter lets you charge and sync your device while it’s connected to your HDMI-compatible display.

Last edited:
...So, will you be the first one to test with ipad1? :)
I'm willing to pony-up the $39 to give it a try, as soon as it appears in the iStore. One lesson I learned - Don't waste a minute or nickel on the 3rd-party stuff! (As a stockholder, I can deal with that reality...LoL!) (I have a couple of other things on the "want" list to get to $50 to avoid the shipping charge.)

Hopefully we won't need an OS upgrade, but I'm assuming we will.

I'll report back as soon as I know anything...

Have a great weekend all...!

A "DTS ONLY DVD" cannot be called a DVD.
An AC3 track on a DVD is mandatory by the specs of the standard. Even if only 2.0
DTS is optional.

Diogen.

A PCM track is also a "default " its either or.

The first few DTS discs had a stereo pcm track + the DTS track.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

bhelms- I can probably do with out the mirroring but at first I was disappointed in the 720p for movies. That seems to be for either ipad model so ipad1 owners won't be sacrificing anything. Good news is my AVR upconverts all inbound content regardless of format to 1080p out via hdmi 1.4a standard so I should be good with the ipad. I can't think of anything I would want to do on the big HD screen from the ipad other than movies anyway. Presentations and teaching would be a different ball game.

bhelms- I can probably do with out the mirroring but at first I was disappointed in the 720p for movies. That seems to be for either ipad model so ipad1 owners won't be sacrificing anything. Good news is my AVR upconverts all inbound content regardless of format to 1080p out via hdmi 1.4a standard so I should be good with the ipad. I can't think of anything I would want to do on the big HD screen from the ipad other than movies anyway. Presentations and teaching would be a different ball game.
Tks for the additional info. Disappointing for me too re: no mirroring for the original iPad! Like you I don't see much need to use iPad (apparently either version!) for delivering 720p content, but I wanted mirroring from the get go. Sorry it's still not to be available even over HDMI for the original iPad. I wonder if that's something that can be changed in the OS or if it's a HW limitation ??

bhelms said:
Disappointing for me too re: no mirroring for the original iPad! Like you I don't see much need to use iPad (apparently either version!) for delivering 720p content, but I wanted mirroring from the get go. Sorry it's still not to be available even over HDMI for the original iPad. I wonder if that's something that can be changed in the OS or if it's a HW limitation ??
I believe the extra ARM core and the new GPU is what makes the display mirroring possible through the new HDMI dongle. While it might be possible to send screen data out the new adapter on the 2010 iPad, performance would probably take a serious hit.

The 9x graphics performance - hardware acceleration - has probably something to do with this.
Just like first video card assisted Blu-ray playback on HTPC: CPU utilization went from 90%+ to some 15%...

Diogen.

I believe the extra ARM core and the new GPU is what makes the display mirroring possible through the new HDMI dongle. While it might be possible to send screen data out the new adapter on the 2010 iPad, performance would probably take a serious hit.

Diogen said:
The 9x graphics performance - hardware acceleration - has probably something to do with this....

I can certainly understand the graphics differences. But I only want mirroring for basic stuff, so I can do some e-mailing and simple surfing, etc. on my TV screen from my easy chair. I don't need high performance for that. Here's hoping someone sees the wisdom of that in a future OS update for the original 'Pad!

Don Landis said:
Maybe you need to ask in the jailbreaking forums.

I might consider a future jailbreak if that provides a workaround, but not until I'm almost ready to upgrade anyway in case I manage to hose the system. (With me, that's a probability...!)

If you have a JB iPad or iPhone, do NOT install iOS 4.3. There is currently no JB or unlock for 4.3 yet. Update and you will lose your jailbreak

Also, if you have a second-gen Apple TV, there is now a new version of that iOS, too. It adds NBA and MLB scores, live game streams, and select recaps of those sports. Support for AirPlay is improved (matched with iOS 4.3 devices) so 3rd-party apps can support AV on your Apple TV. Finally, Apple added Digital Dolby 5.1 support through the optical output to the NetFlix app.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts