iPhone built in thermometer?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Once again, we were in a hotel room that was freezing. Temp control was warm/cold. No way to set a temp in degrees. We have a 3GS and would love to have been able to read the inside temps. But the apps are all for outside temps, or have reviews indicating that the app doesn't really work.

Am I the only one that would like the iPhone, that does so many things, to actually tell me the ambient temperature?

I have the opposite problem. Hotel rooms are never cold enough for me. The hotel always says, "Well, the temp in the room is 65 degrees, we cant make it go any lower." I beg to differ!

I always carry a thermometer/hygrometer with me, to prove them otherwise. It came in quite handy last week. The A/C in my room was set at "60", but it was a comfy 66-68 degrees in there.

Amazon.com: Acu-Rite 00325 Home Comfort Monitor, Black: Home & Garden

Once again, we were in a hotel room that was freezing. Temp control was warm/cold. No way to set a temp in degrees. We have a 3GS and would love to have been able to read the inside temps. But the apps are all for outside temps, or have reviews indicating that the app doesn't really work.

Am I the only one that would like the iPhone, that does so many things, to actually tell me the ambient temperature?
No. All temp apps are just readings from a local weather reporting station. There is noway a phone can actually measure the temperature as the phone itself generates a lot of heat

It does have a built-in sensor but not for the purpose you want. It will shut the thing off if it gets too hot.

It does have a built-in sensor but not for the purpose you want. It will shut the thing off if it gets too hot.

That is true. I left it in my truck for about 20 minutes the other day with an outside temp of 110. I hit the home button and had a Yellow triangle with the "too hot to operate" warning.

Even if it did have the ability to measure temps it would take time to get an accurate reading so you would normally only be able to tell what the temperature was in your pocket.

mperdue said:
Even if it did have the ability to measure temps it would take time to get an accurate reading so you would normally only be able to tell what the temperature was in your pocket.

or inside the iPhone, which changes with the usage and while charging. You would need an external sensor anyway. So, it's better just to get a portable thermometer.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Or they can develop a phone with a infrared lens. An app can then be used to measure the temperature of objects when the lens is aimed at them

Or they can develop a phone with a infrared lens. An app can then be used to measure the temperature of objects when the lens is aimed at them

Good idea. I have a couple of those. Somehow, not good for seeing if someone has a temperature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)