"iPhone vs. Android – 45,000 Tests Prove Whose Browser is Faster"

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Summary
Sorry Steve: Android 50 Percent Faster than iPhone on Web | Epicenter | Wired.com

chart_fastestmedloadtime.jpg

Details
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/epicenter/2011/03/Android-vs-iPhone-F1000-Paper.pdf

Diogen.

While I love praising Android over iOS, I don't really see this as a real-world major victory. I rarely find myself browsing with my cell phone and thinking "God, if this page would just load 1 second quicker I'd be so much more efficient!" This seems more like an internal programming victory than something you could use as a real world game changer.

Of course, it hardly matters.
But it is quantifiable, unlike "magical and revolutionary"...

Diogen.

Apple decided it is worth to comment on this
Nexus S beats iPhone in "real world" Web tests, says firm (Updated)
"Their testing is flawed because they didn't actually test the Safari web browser on the iPhone. Instead they only tested their own proprietary app which uses an embedded web viewer that doesn't take advantage of Safari's web performance optimizations," Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller told Ars. "Despite this fundamental testing flaw, they still only found an average of a second difference in loading web pages."
I like the last sentence the most: a signature Apple spin on 50% difference...

Diogen.

Isn't that a common complaint about the new iOS, in that embedded apps can't take full advantage of Safari's browsing capabilities, in what people are interpreting as Apple trying to discourage people from making such apps?

I think it is.
But I believe JavaScript (or any one particular feature) by itself isn't a large part of web browsing anymore.
And that means a)it won't affect download times; b)it shouldn't be seen as browsing accelerator.

Diogen.

Coming from iOS to Andoid, one of the first thing I noticed was how much faster browsing the web was. And then when I discovered Dolphin Browser HD, I was blown away at how better the Android platform was for web browsing.

I had a buddy of mine compare his Verizon iPhone to another's Verizon Droid to see which loads pages faster (this way they are using the same cellular network) and the Droid won. But my ATT iPhone beat both of their phones. Keep in mind, neither ATT nor Verizon has 4G in my area yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)