Is 3D dying?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Another that does not understand. 3D today, IS done in HD. HD is not necessarily 3D. Real life is 3D, unless you are blind in one eye.
He does understand that point. You just don't want to hear his opinion. It's much easier to claim that anyone that thinks plain HD looks more real is ignorant.

I think when used properly, its pretty cool (Hugo, Bayformers 3, Prometheus as a few examples), then there is Green Hornet...

I've tried it in home with 4 different tv's, and just never could make myself like it. When a calibrated display has to go into the refresh mode for 3D, especially a plasma, the first thing I see even with the glasses on is how the black level is all shat up now. I did not buy a plasma with excellent contrast ratio, to turn around and ruin that along with making myself miserable wearing shutter glasses. So, after many attempts, 3D in my home is dead, maybe forever (unless something better comes along) because I find myself enjoying the overall image quality on a calibrated display in 2D.

All that being said, Im not a 3D hater, and Im glad folks are enjoying it, because I can see the fun in it. I'll still be watching it, but what I've chosen to do is save those few trips I actually make to the theater each year, to be used for 3D flicks. Those will have to be native, unless the reviews are good for the conversion. So far I've been in to see Avengers 3D and Prometheus this year, and there are def a few I'll see this fall.

So for me, 3D in home on blu, blah, and even more blah on Directv. Directv was cool the first couple of week's last year, but overall, as someone who cares about PQ, it's just not that impressive to me. No way in hell am I watching a 3 hour fball game in 3D. Don't even get me started on conversions.

Last edited:
I should revisit Hugo. I bought it and did not see what all the excitement was on that one. Same with Green Hornet, Green Lantern and quite a few others. I do find that many of these 3D movies look much better on my Passive TV than my projector due to how dark they are. I never cared for Plasma 3D as the ghosting was horrible and looked at quite a few when they were all the rage. But I never saw any ISF calibrated Plasmas. Ultimately, I think we will all be in agreement that the new 4K FPR passive 3D is the best, easiest to watch technology. With 3D systems in constant improvement, it would be wrong to base a prejudice against 3D on what we saw as available 1-3 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)