Is 4K tv worth it yet

Chuck Summers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
KIrksville, Mo.
I have read that a 4K TV will not upgrade the dish picture quality because it only boosts up a 1080P display and not the 1080I which Dish has. So is it worth getting a 4K set. Wonder if dish will ever give us some channels to make it time to buy. hope everyone has a great summer Thanks

I have no idea where you are reading, but 4K TVs all upscale whatever comes to them to 4K. Some do it better than others of course. Note that when you go to buy a new TV, other than fairly small screens, the choices not 4K are somewhat limited and often not much of a bargain.

I have no idea where you are reading, but 4K TVs all upscale whatever comes to them to 4K. Some do it better than others of course. Note that when you go to buy a new TV, other than fairly small screens, the choices not 4K are somewhat limited and often not much of a bargain.
If I were buying today, the only LEDs I'd get would be a Sony 930 series or X900 series, the Vizeo P series, or if you want to go whole hog, an LG or Sony Oled. Samsung does not cut the mustard these days IMO.

I think it’s still early, because to get a GOOD one, with good scaling, WCG and HDR, and preferably DolbyVision, prices are still rather high.

I expect UHD TVs to be better and cheaper next year. Unless tariffs raise prices.

I may even wait two years.

And standards are still not completely settled.

Haven't upgraded to 4k yet because my Sammy plasma TV still looks great, even being almost 9 years old. At some point, as I continue my research, I'll buy a 4k TV, but I'm just not ready yet to give my plasma TV away...

I wouldn't have "upgraded" if my 2012 64" Sammy Plasma had survived. Two years in, and it died, and they couldn't get a replacement panel for it, so I had to get a new TV. I went with a Sony UHD set, but it still is not as good as my old Samsung was.

Bought a Sammy 4k UHD back in the middle of March. Very impressed with the picture quality on Dish and more so on the Fire stick.

Reactions: KenSoren
I wouldn't have "upgraded" if my 2012 64" Sammy Plasma had survived. Two years in, and it died, and they couldn't get a replacement panel for it, so I had to get a new TV. I went with a Sony UHD set, but it still is not as good as my old Samsung was.
An OLED TV is the only thing that will come close to plasma, it might even be better (a matter of opinion) LCD/LED TVs,even the top ones, don't come close IMO. LG has some almost cheap ones.

Last edited:
I have read that a 4K TV will not upgrade the dish picture quality because it only boosts up a 1080P display and not the 1080I which Dish has. So is it worth getting a 4K set. Wonder if dish will ever give us some channels to make it time to buy. hope everyone has a great summer Thanks
Unless you get an 80 inch TV or sit really close to your TV, I'd be surprised if you could tell the difference between 1080i/p and 4K. What you want to look for is HDR High Dynamic Range. You'll notice that a lot more than 4K. But you may want to wait a year or two for prices to come down and the format war to sort itself out. You may also want to take a look at OLED TVs, they aren't cheap and LG and Sony are the only players for now but they look great.

An OLED TV is the only thing that will come close to plasma, it might even be better (a matter of opinion) LCD/LED TVs,even the top ones, don't come close IMO. LG has some almost cheap ones.

I got a new LG 65" OLED 2017's top of the line model a few months ago and I love it!! Absolutely awesome! It upscales everything even 720 looks good!
The video processor in it is the best you can get on the market at least at the time I purchased so well worth it but it ran me over $3000 which for what I see now compared to my $3000 then 52" sharp Aquas LCD I got back in 2007...well night and day for sure!
My only complaint is lack of 4K content on Dish and else where.
Netflix needs to push 4K streaming on all movies released the day they are released and I'd likely drop everything but ESPN's on Dish.

Don't get UHD for the increased resolution. Get it because you want/need a new TV, and it is really hard to find a good 1080p TV any more.

Bingo. "Upgrading" just to do so would be a waste of money IMO. I have a 4K HDR TV because I needed a new TV. I don't think the 4K part of that is anything to write home about. Sometimes there is a difference when you stream sometimes you are hard pressed to see it. (There is almost no Cable/Satellite content when compared to how much is not and no OTA) HDR however does add to the picture quality when compared to seeing the same thing without HDR.

If I were buying today, the only LEDs I'd get would be a Sony 930 series or X900 series, the Vizeo P series, or if you want to go whole hog, an LG or Sony Oled. Samsung does not cut the mustard these days IMO.

I agree. For a long time I’ve said that Samsung has the best picture, but Sony has made an amazing come back over the last couple of years. The newest ones that I have seen lately have been spectacular looking

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
I think it’s still early, because to get a GOOD one, with good scaling, WCG and HDR, and preferably DolbyVision, prices are still rather high.

I expect UHD TVs to be better and cheaper next year. Unless tariffs raise prices.

I may even wait two years.

And standards are still not completely settled.

I’m doing the same thing. Although I am buying a lower end 4K to use as a computer monitor. I’ve been using my Samsung 32 inch 1080 and I think my video cards are overdriving it

Haven't upgraded to 4k yet because my Sammy plasma TV still looks great, even being almost 9 years old. At some point, as I continue my research, I'll buy a 4k TV, but I'm just not ready yet to give my plasma TV away...
I have two great 9+ year Sammy plasma's. One 4K HDR Sammy 65" LED which sucks, and a recent 65" LG OLED...The Holy Grail!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)