Is a Roku 4 with 4K coming this way?

I wish that they add more codecs to the Roku 4, so I can stream without transcoding (i.e. Plex) before going to the Roku. Tried Plex on an Atom-based RAID to my Roku and it was really bad. So, I use my $35 rasberrypi and XBMC (with MPEG-2 and VCL codecs) to watch my videos instead, but it would be nice to have the Roku 4 do the same. The video files are ripped using makemkv via VortexBox.

My Roku 3, and soon Roku 4, will forever be just a streaming device. I use my Oppo BDP-103D to access my NAS and local storage. The Oppo handles my 1:1 BD MakeMKV rips just fine and can play lossless music as well. The Oppo even handles rips with Atmos tracks -- just passes it to the AVR for decoding.

If I had to guess, the Roku 4 probably uses a Cortex A15 quad core ARM processor or similar. I don't think this will have the chops to decode high-quality MKV rips unless it also has GPGPU acceleration. Only reason my A15-based Asus tablet can handle them is because it has nVidia to help it out.

I wonder if the new Roku 4 will play 3D movies from my Vudu account. My 2 Roku 3s currently do not.

I received a response from Roku that the new Roku 4 will not play 3D movies from my Vudu account. That's something I can do on my 2 PS3s and my Sony S6500 Blu-ray player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts