Is a Roku 4 with 4K coming this way?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I wish that they add more codecs to the Roku 4, so I can stream without transcoding (i.e. Plex) before going to the Roku. Tried Plex on an Atom-based RAID to my Roku and it was really bad. So, I use my $35 rasberrypi and XBMC (with MPEG-2 and VCL codecs) to watch my videos instead, but it would be nice to have the Roku 4 do the same. The video files are ripped using makemkv via VortexBox.

My Roku 3, and soon Roku 4, will forever be just a streaming device. I use my Oppo BDP-103D to access my NAS and local storage. The Oppo handles my 1:1 BD MakeMKV rips just fine and can play lossless music as well. The Oppo even handles rips with Atmos tracks -- just passes it to the AVR for decoding.

If I had to guess, the Roku 4 probably uses a Cortex A15 quad core ARM processor or similar. I don't think this will have the chops to decode high-quality MKV rips unless it also has GPGPU acceleration. Only reason my A15-based Asus tablet can handle them is because it has nVidia to help it out.

I wonder if the new Roku 4 will play 3D movies from my Vudu account. My 2 Roku 3s currently do not.

I received a response from Roku that the new Roku 4 will not play 3D movies from my Vudu account. That's something I can do on my 2 PS3s and my Sony S6500 Blu-ray player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts