Is an HD stb needed for more channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

black Bear

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Was wondering if there is an advantage to using an HD receiver for TFTA ?
Also is there a need for a motor for english sats as this is what i would want ?I have seen Galaxy 10r before with a SC dish but signal strength was not to good so i dont know if i was getting all channels .. I now have a 33" Windguard , thx ..:)

one lizard's opinion:

HD receiver for FTA?
Well, there's HD PBS on 125°...
Over time there should be more and more, I guess.
There are feeds now on other satellites.
However, I am not overly impressed with the current state of HD receivers.
You should first identify a need for HD on Ku, and then see which of the receivers fill that need.
In other words, don't let the tail wag the dog, not when better receivers must surely be in our future.

Motor?
Sure, there's more to watch than 123° Galaxy 18, or the satellite slot previously known for G10r.
For a quick look, click on English. It'll give you an idea.
Then once you are actually on the hunt, our own The List, is probably a better resource.

Ok Thankyou , but could you help on the other questions in my post as well ?:)

One advantage of an HD receiver, besides being HD , is that it decodes AC-3 audio internally. With SD receivers, you need to send the audio out to a seperate AC-3 device like a home theater box to decode the AC-3 sound. There are enough HD channels and feeds that I bought a used CS8000 several months ago, just for that purpose. I paid about $200, and I thought it was a good deal. The CS8000 also can tune in the DVB-S2 channels that are slowly coming to Ku band. At the moment, we have NBC on 103W and LPB on 125W that are DVB-S2, and slowly most of the channels will probably migrate to that standard.

Yes you DO need a motor, since the channels are not concentrated on 1 or two satellites , but spread around , sometimes only 1 channel on a bird. Finding the feeds, which can occur anywhere, necessitate that you motorize a dish , if you want to catch them.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)