Is an old General Instruments 450i receiver really good for anything other than a boat anchor?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Frozen

Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
USA
Hi, maybe you folks can help me understand something.

I've got an old General Instruments 450i receiver, actually rebranded as "Digital Innovations", but it's a 450i, that looks exactly like one on currently being sold Fleabay except for the branding. I was going to include a link but I guess that's not allowed, but the seller of that receiver is asking 80 bucks for it, which to me seems outrageous.

I originally bought the receiver used over a decade ago, and at one point it was unplugged for at least a couple of years, but lately I've used it solely as a dish mover for a C-band dish, and only power it up long enough to move the dish and then unplug it. Thinking of getting a Vbox to move the dish & if that happens, the one last justification I have for keeping this receiver would be gone.

I'm pretty sure that at one time you could use it to subscribe to a certain kind of encrypted analog signals, maybe Digicipher, but I only used it to watch unencrypted analog channels. IIRC it contains some kind of card that does the decryption if you have purchased a subscription, but I also seem to recall reading that there is a battery on that card and if that battery goes completely dead, the card becomes worthless, and I can't believe the battery would not be dead after all this time.

What I don't get is, now that most of the signals are digital, how can anybody can even unload these on eBay? I imagine it would cost at least $25 to ship this thing, after all it is from the days when satellite receivers were quite heavy, so I'm thinking it would be much less hassle to just scrap it, but I don't want to do that if it actually has some value. Other than the battery thing, as far as I know there is nothing wrong with it - it worked great as long as there were still analog signals to watch - but I just can't figure out how on earth people are selling these things on eBay. Who in their right mind would buy one? Is there some hidden value in these receivers that I am not appreciating?

I'm at a loss to understand how someone could possibly justify asking that kind of money for a receiver that ancient, that could only receive analog signals. What am I missing here?

I'm not trying to sell my receiver right now, I'm only trying to figure out if it might actually have any value, and if it does, why???

You can ask what ever price you want for something, that does not mean it will sell. Same goes with eBay you can try and sell just about anything on there. Those things were expensive back in the day, and some people think if they paid a bunch they should still get a bunch for it. Some people don't know better, some people are just hoping. I have saw them sell for that price. I think they sale cause people that have been around this stuff for years can connect with it and want it; so to them it is worth $80. They are cool and have a little bit of nostalgia, would I pay that much for one, No. If someone gave me one it would be neat to hook it up though and play around with. I would not want to use it daily though. Not when you can get an ASC1 or a vBox and have the receiver + the dish mover do it all for you with one button push.
Just my 2 cents.. :)

The GI 450i has very little value other than a dish mover but ur much better off with an ASC1 this day in time...I actually have a post here at Sat Guys willing to give away 3 GI 450i`s if whoever wanted them would pay for shipping...Not 1 single bite after 30 days so I scrapped them.

Hi, maybe you folks can help me understand something.

I've got an old General Instruments 450i receiver, actually rebranded as "Digital Innovations", but it's a 450i, that looks exactly like one on currently being sold Fleabay except for the branding. I was going to include a link but I guess that's not allowed, but the seller of that receiver is asking 80 bucks for it, which to me seems outrageous.

I originally bought the receiver used over a decade ago, and at one point it was unplugged for at least a couple of years, but lately I've used it solely as a dish mover for a C-band dish, and only power it up long enough to move the dish and then unplug it. Thinking of getting a Vbox to move the dish & if that happens, the one last justification I have for keeping this receiver would be gone.

I'm pretty sure that at one time you could use it to subscribe to a certain kind of encrypted analog signals, maybe Digicipher, but I only used it to watch unencrypted analog channels. IIRC it contains some kind of card that does the decryption if you have purchased a subscription, but I also seem to recall reading that there is a battery on that card and if that battery goes completely dead, the card becomes worthless, and I can't believe the battery would not be dead after all this time.

What I don't get is, now that most of the signals are digital, how can anybody can even unload these on eBay? I imagine it would cost at least $25 to ship this thing, after all it is from the days when satellite receivers were quite heavy, so I'm thinking it would be much less hassle to just scrap it, but I don't want to do that if it actually has some value. Other than the battery thing, as far as I know there is nothing wrong with it - it worked great as long as there were still analog signals to watch - but I just can't figure out how on earth people are selling these things on eBay. Who in their right mind would buy one? Is there some hidden value in these receivers that I am not appreciating?

I'm at a loss to understand how someone could possibly justify asking that kind of money for a receiver that ancient, that could only receive analog signals. What am I missing here?

I'm not trying to sell my receiver right now, I'm only trying to figure out if it might actually have any value, and if it does, why???

Well, it does not have any value to the newer lnbfs or switch synchros; but will power up AND CONTROL a corotor ii+ with c+ku lnb set. +20.00 x 3 = 60.00, just for the parts, not much gold, if any in it +-0; nut if you own a bud dish with motor; then you could add the shipping into value +20.00 = 80.00; OTHERWISE, because it WILL OPEN SESAME MY SECRET WALL (this build costs you $10,000 immediately)]}; do not try to take mine, cause it is my security, not yours! Use it for that, and I bet you would not talk that way!:popcorn:D:eek::rant:

Last edited:
$10,000 bucks...what in the world are you talkin bout richyrich?...LOL..Your posts seem to leave me with wtf...Do enjoy the reads tho..Thanks.

most folks give them away but you pay for shipping. $80 is outrageous

The old analog boxes had these big VCII (Videocipher) boards in them. They were purple or blue. That is how you subscribed to analog programming

the batteries are useless in a analog receiver as they were in the VCII board. There are a few analog channels still out there but hey are few and far between

I guess you don't watch Pawn Stars where people come in and want $5,000 for something that Rick thinks is worth maybe $100

oh it works as a old C-Band dish mover

Here is a VCII board (well a bunch of them)

attachment.php

Well you guys have confirmed my suspicions. I thought that guy on eBay was out of touch with reality, or maybe hoping a real sucker or a collector of antique electronics would happen by, but I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some hidden value in the thing. I'll probably wind up taking it apart, throwing the metal parts of the case in the scrap metal recycling barrel, and hanging onto the main board for a while as a possible source of small electronic parts.

Someday soon I'll get a Vbox and a polarity-switched LNB and be done with it.

I thought that guy on eBay was out of touch with reality, or maybe hoping a real sucker or a collector of antique electronics would happen by

reminds me of the folks who want to sell their old C-Band dish for an outrageous amount

$10,000 bucks...what in the world are you talkin bout richyrich?...LOL..Your posts seem to leave me with wtf...Do enjoy the reads tho..Thanks.

Yes, I use a moto 450i to open a "door at my house"; as it motors open every time I "use my 450i" to move one inside my home. The motor is not that big, but at the entry point; takes the entire "entryway"; lights up (2) lights; one light inside the room entered, using one of the (2) 18vdc Power Supply coaxes; and the other outside showing me where the entryway is. Then I took the servo circuit to "unlock" this safe-room; the servo moves a door locking/unlocking device which depends upon the name of the satellite entered, allowing the room to be opened, or not! Now if that does not confuse you, nothing else will! I will pay you 80.00 for it shipped to my house!:cool:

However; if you want me to go to your home; build a "mansionester" for you; it will cost you over $10,000, that is where my builds start; and when you have your remote in hand, and your 450i or 350i receiver; and I am done building in "your house"; well then it is worth more than that, isn't it?

Last edited:
Yes, I use a moto 450i to open a "door at my house"; as it motors open every time I "use my 450i" to move one inside my home. The motor is not that big, but at the entry point; takes the entire "entryway"; lights up (2) lights; one light inside the room entered, using one of the (2) 18vdc Power Supply coaxes; and the other outside showing me where the entryway is. Then I took the servo circuit to "unlock" this safe-room; the servo moves a door locking/unlocking device which depends upon the name of the satellite entered, allowing the room to be opened, or not! Now if that does not confuse you, nothing else will! I will pay you 80.00 for it shipped to my house!:cool:

However; if you want me to go to your home; build a "mansionester" for you; it will cost you over $10,000, that is where my builds start; and when you have your remote in hand, and your 450i or 350i receiver; and I am done building in "your house"; well then it is worth more than that, isn't it?

Still in left field.!...Sorry man I tossed all 3 of my GI450I`s...wish I would have hung on to them just for you.

A left fielder is right-handed; IM LEFT-HANDED and know I am in right field. It is like baseball in one way; you play until you can no longer play the game! When you can no longer play the game (IE: see pictures) it must be left to play another; it just won't be the same game (great dish mover/controller)!
I wish you could have sold them to me for the shipping also...other peoples trash turn up valued by many! Thanks! Heavy, isn't it?:cool:

Last edited:
Still use two of those old GI boxes to move dishes, they are great for motor control. Each satellite position can be tweaked and information saved, with a good positioner on the dish they're quite accurate. The 550 and 650 I have will save video offset, positioner and polarity-tweaks for each transponder, if you use a polarotor feedhorn. Plus they run cool for a big Cadillac piece of electronics. And for the few analog channels you might still find, they have very nice picture quality. But $80, haha, not even.

Still use two of those old GI boxes to move dishes, they are great for motor control. Each satellite position can be tweaked and information saved, with a good positioner on the dish they're quite accurate. The 550 and 650 I have will save video offset, positioner and polarity-tweaks for each transponder, if you use a polarotor feedhorn. Plus they run cool for a big Cadillac piece of electronics. And for the few analog channels you might still find, they have very nice picture quality. But $80, haha, not even.

Well, I do still see analog with them, and people always say they will sell them for what I want to pay. But having to pick them out of the trash costs me more than 80.00; I would lose my license to recycle other peoples garbage; and in the electronics industry; I would pull such out of the garbage and take it home anyways! Do you know what Companies like Comcast/Verizon and Cox Cable do; did; will continue to do? They put a price on taking out satellite tv systems, and use a 50 lb. Maul to destroy "equipment like those"! When I write a book about my experiences (they "buy" like watching GCI); you know who "they" are!

I call boat anchors of that size and weight door stops. Probably a better use. Smaller things are referred to as paperweights ;) ...

Now that is 280.00 ea. GI450i on the retail for each for sale today; and I paid 380 20 years ago today! Better than any car driven; except my Maserati goes 255!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)