Is CBC Radio gone??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Craig Henrikson

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Maybe it is just me, but a couple of weeks ago I hadno problem getting CBC Radio - Radio2 T is my fav. But today - nothing, and a scan of NImiq 1 gives a few radio stations, but not the CBC feeds that have been FTA since C-Band days.

Any thoughts??

Craig

Thanks -- I guess (sigh). Looks like one of my fav programs - Disk Drive - is gone forever!.

Craig

I miss the CBC, too. (and VOAR from Newfoundland) Maybe they will be back FTA someday.

You might want to check out CBC's website, some of their feeds are streamed and some of the programs are available on demand.

Now that Bell has scrambled all CBC and SRC radio feeds, there are three options:
1) Streaming audio as mentioned.
2) Sirius Satellite Radio (monthly fee, but CBC 1 and 2 and SRC 1 and 2 are now
part of their package).
3) Star Choice. Take the basic Essentials package at just over 30 dollars a month
and add the "Radio" package for 3 bucks a month.
This provides CBC Radio 1 and 2 from Halifax, Toronto and
Vancouver. SRC 1 and 2 from Montreal. SRC 1 - Vancouver.

That's really a shame that CBC has gone down road.

/soapbox on

As a Canadian I also feel it's a travesty for a publicly funded broadcaster to not be available to ALL Canadians (and anyone else for that matter). Yes CBC's terrestrial network is pretty good but there are still areas that don't receive ANYTHING. Having them on FTA in any form fills in those gaps.

IMHO it's wholly unacceptable that I contribute to the operating budget for the CBC through my taxes and now will have to pay AGAIN to listen to the programming.

/soapbox off

Mrweather this has been bugging me big time too, talk about triple dipping.
Why is it that the CBC regional stations on C band are scrambled surely its all not a sports related blackout, if it is, black out the affected games I could handle a black screen once in a while.

Sorry I'm getting carried away better get off the soap box.

I feel like firing off a few letters do you have any idea where the best place would be and to who, CBC. CRTC, ministers and MPs I need some addresses.

I don't think this would do any harm to FTA as these stations are not available anyway.
I have been somewhat alarmed to see movements on other sites to get more FTA stations by sending petitions to people like Equity Broadcast on G10 since we are not the indended audience this could backfire.

Iceberg said:
mrweather

can we add CBC TV to that list too? :)
Absolutely! :)

I mean heck, PBS is publicly funded and has four channels (well, three that I can see) free to air. What makes the CBC so special.

Anyway enough ranting. Time to write some letters methinks.

Thanks for all the replies. CBC has been FTA for YEARS, and I really don't understand scrambling something that is freely available on the net -- But then I still don't understand BEV cutting off an income stream by shutting Mike down after all the work he had done to support BEV in the US. BTW, Mike still is the best source for FTA information.

I do wish XM had CBC -- I LOVE XM -- but the net stream will have to do for a while.

Craig

Add me to that list! Back when DirecTV had Newsworld International, it was great. I loved watching the CBC's international news programs. They were the best source of news in North America, as far as I'm concerned. Now I'm stuck with getting BBC World from the local PBS affiliate, which is OK, but nowhere near as good as the CBC was.

When I finally got into FTA, I thought, "Oh, surely the CBC will be available just like PBS is in the US! Canada's always light-years ahead of the US when it comes to the government working for the people." Nope. Nothing - just some radio stations from BEV. And now I find out those are gone, too! ARRGH!! I don't get it.

My girlfriend's Canadian, and has a StarChoice subscription. Maybe she should just get an "extra receiver." Heh...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)