Is Dish Network planning any major changes this year similar to DirecTV?

Zooz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
For those that do not know, DirecTV has implemented major changes to how they acquire new customer sales this year.

Previously new customers that failed a credit check had to pay a one time pre-payment of $50 for activation. This pre-payment was re-imbursed on the customer's first month bill. Now new customers that do not pass the credit check have to pay a whopping $150 for activation. And it is reimbursed by dropping a customer's bill by $10 a month for a 15 month period.

This has impacted sales tremendously for the dealership I contract with. Sales have more than been cut in half for us here in the Houston Texas area, and this dealership is one of the largest in the Houston area. It is not only impacting new customers acquisitions in lower income neighborhoods, it is also a problem for customers in higher income neighborhoods that have recently purchased new homes. And it is basically starving out the installers here.

My question is this: does Dish Network plan to undertake similar measures in the near future?

I certainly hope so. When VOOM shuts down it will be a toss up between DirecTV and Dish. VOOM currently carries 9 Premium HD movie channels for example: HBO East HD, HBO West HD, Showtime East HD, Showtime West HD, Starz East HD, Starz West HD, Cinemax East HD, Cinemax West HD and The Movie Channel Hd. As of right now I only see Dish and DirecTV carrying 2 of those 9 HD movie channels. Not good when they could easily add the other 7 and give us a choice of 9 HD movie channels per night.

Will be an interesting decision. Maybe someone should "ask Charley?"

Tvlman said:
I certainly hope so. When VOOM shuts down it will be a toss up between DirecTV and Dish. VOOM currently carries 9 Premium HD movie channels for example: HBO East HD, HBO West HD, Showtime East HD, Showtime West HD, Starz East HD, Starz West HD, Cinemax East HD, Cinemax West HD and The Movie Channel Hd. As of right now I only see Dish and DirecTV carrying 2 of those 9 HD movie channels. Not good when they could easily add the other 7 and give us a choice of 9 HD movie channels per night.

Will be an interesting decision. Maybe someone should "ask Charley?"
Heh... Did you read the originating post of this thread (or even the second post)? I'll agree, the title is not as specific as maybe it should be, but still... :)

Braves on TBS in HD

522 records all episodes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)