Is Dish THAT popular? (Install woes)

geekzapoppin

Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
Hey all.

I've been a DirecTV sub for several years now, but when we moved a few weeks back I decided to switch to Dish because of their greater HD offerings. Anyway, long story long, we scheduled an install about three weeks ahead for April 3. We're on a new street in a growing subdivision, so a lot of address databases aren't quite caught up to us yet. We get a call from the installer early on the morning of the 3rd asking if we'd received our 622 yet. We hadn't. I put in a call to Dish where I was told it was mailed out two days before but could take 3-10 business days to arrive. Aside from the fact that it's assinine to send out equipment so close to an install when there's a good chance that it won't arrive on time, they were very helpful. We contacted UPS and found out that they had our package but hadn't delivered it because their computer refused to admit that there was a Fremont Drive and had instead changed it to Tremont Court. Tremont Ct. doesn't exist. So we made a trip out to UPS and got back in time for the installer to show up and tell us that he couldn't install the dish because our house was too tall and he didn't have a ladder that long. We'd have to reschedule. When we called Dish back they tell us that it will be another two weeks before they can send someone out. I'm a little frustrated, but what can you do? My question is, are they really that booked solid that they couldn't fit us in somewhere?

Depending on your location right now yes they are that busy. Alot of the current business has to do with the expanded hd content that dish is offering, this is a big plus for both the provider and the customer as no one else is offering as much. Another reason is the new family packaging, people want something better for theyr families and this works as it eliminates channels with questionable programming content.

It is unfortunate that your installer had to cancel your install, I have not had to call for a 40ft ladder for a job except once in the last 3 years. How tall is your new home anyways? is there alot of tree's close to it? are they really tall old growth tree's? Got any pics of the little homestead you can post so we can all go ooohh and aaahhhhhhh?

I never really thought of it being that tall, but apparently the way it sits, you just can't get to the roof without a stairway to heaven. There are no trees around to speak of, but because of the locations of the sats and the fact that the house has vinyl siding on the sides instead of brick, the dish has to go on the roof. The installers were really nice and it wasn't their fault. It was just frustrating. I don't have any pics of the new home, but it looks like pretty much every other house built in the last five years. You know how housing developments are. We live in one that is slightly nicer than the one in EDWARD SCISSORHANDS but the houses do begin to all look somewhat alike after a while.

Thanks for the reply!

Well if theres no tree's then a pole mount could be done, or a fascia mount or even a mount on the foundation wall near a utility junction, then theres the deviding 1 - 8 that many homes have to seperate the first and second floors, and not to forget the deck supports or a main post in the deck railing. Basicly there are alot of options that most homes have that may or may not work to the techs advantage but can still be used.

a pole mount is good idea, especially if you don't want it on the roof. I always try to install the dish in a spot that is easy to service (if possible), especially when it snows. I have installed to vinyl and the metal siding without crushing it. I get the customer to sign off on it and I call my FSM.

dishguy15022 said:
a pole mount is good idea, especially if you don't want it on the roof. I always try to install the dish in a spot that is easy to service (if possible), especially when it snows. I have installed to vinyl and the metal siding without crushing it. I get the customer to sign off on it and I call my FSM.

How? unless your using some kind of spacers or the siding kit that was short lived then I cant see how your not crushing the siding or leaving the customer with a slopp mount.

I have a bunch of spacers that we used to use. I don't do siding installs that much. I have told the customer that I may crush their siding and most of the time they ok the placement of the dish. Usually, if i do anything out of the ordinary as long I write up a small note and have the customer sign to it and attach it to the workorder my fsm is ok with it. My installs are neat and not sloppy at all.

Anyway, We have a guy that comes by to check our work who we call the QC Nazi. I am sure every area has a QC Nazi.

I wonder why house still use vinyl on brand news house, vinyl will not last, minimum 5 years and you wil see crack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)