Is Flex Pack a rip off????

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
I went to the Flex Pack web site and was greeted with an option to choose $39.99 or base service at $29.99.

I was looking for the cheapest offer so I chose $29.99. By the time I reached the bottom of the pages the price had climbed to $129.99.
Are they really trying to get monthly subscribers, it seems like "bait and switch" advertising. www.dish.com/build-a-package

I went to the Flex Pack web site and was greeted with an option to choose $39.99 or base service at $29.99.

I was looking for the cheapest offer so I chose $29.99. By the time I reached the bottom of the pages the price had climbed to $129.99.
Are they really trying to get monthly subscribers, it seems like "bait and switch" advertising.

The whole point of the FlexPack is to have a "skinny" bundle package without "every" channel. If you want all the channels you should pick another package. It wasn't designed for you go down the list of add on packages and add every one, and then it come out cheaper than the other packages.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Are they really trying to get monthly subscribers, it seems like "bait and switch" advertising. www.dish.com/build-a-package

It is a scam when you include all the FEES they try to stick you with. If it really was a base of $39.99 and nothing else, he'd probably get all sorts of new customers. I was a 10 year customer before I canceled last year after the last increase, and they lately keep sending me a "Kiss and Makeup" email touting the Flex Pack. I even OWN my VIP722k, and it's still installed. They literally only have to send a HIT, and they are done. With a $15 dvr fee (on my own receiver) and taxes, it costs more than my present Charter Spectrum sub, with 1/4 of the channels.

Reactions: Gobucks and satjay
It is a scam when you include all the FEES they try to stick you with. If it really was a base of $39.99 and nothing else, he'd probably get all sorts of new customers. I was a 10 year customer before I canceled last year after the last increase, and they lately keep sending me a "Kiss and Makeup" email touting the Flex Pack. I even OWN my VIP722k, and it's still installed. They literally only have to send a HIT, and they are done. With a $15 dvr fee (on my own receiver) and taxes, it costs more than my present Charter Spectrum sub, with 1/4 of the channels.
IMO
FLEX is a decent package for $30.
If thats all you need its Great.

But I've done so many combinations to try and make Flex and option, and never can I justify losing hundreds of channel option, that I may or may not watch to save maybe $150 a year.
There are so many Key channels not available at all, or require multiple add-on packs.
$121.02 includes Top200 with Free HBO Hopper3, 3Joey2s ,211z $5 movie pack, and $5 Starz.

$86 with Just locals for Flex...
But No
MLB,
NFL,
Velocity,
Hallmark,
Nick,
MTV,
TeenNick,
Gettv,
BBC America,
Science,
Disney,
Disney XD,
RSNs,
FS1,
Big Ten,
Animal planet,
Weather Channel,
ID,
NHL,

And some aren't even available.
And the ones you could get, would yield in virtually no savings with 30 dollars or more with Add on Packs.

If you can live with Flex and maybe 2 add ons, its a good deal.
But IMO only if Streaming Sling Orange and Blue, PS Vue, or Directv Now aren't an option.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Gobucks

Are there even ten different $10 per month Channel Packs to add to get the price that high? I suppose if you add all of the premium movie packages on top of the Channel Packs you could get a bill that high. Or did the $129.99 also include other fees like the DVR fee and additional receiver fees?

The offer that you see on www.dish.com is generally for new customers only. In addition, this offer only consist of the Flex Pack programming and does not include any add on packages, equipment and services fees. The $39.99 promotion is for the Flex Pack with one free Add On and with eAutopay credit. The $29.99 is just for the Flex Pack with eAutopay promotion.

If your total monthly cost equals to $129.99 then it may be best to review other package options as the Flex Pack is considered a 'skinny bundle' for those who view just a few channels. It includes more than 50 top-rated channels and is complemented by channel packs that is grouped by a small number of genre-specific channels, allowing for you to create your own viewing preference.

Are there even ten different $10 per month Channel Packs to add to get the price that high? I suppose if you add all of the premium movie packages on top of the Channel Packs you could get a bill that high. Or did the $129.99 also include other fees like the DVR fee and additional receiver fees?
Here is the poking around I've been pondering.
Screenshot_20170318-112321.png

My current plan.

Now my Flex sacrificing options.
9946aff129919a8275dd8aac3ada1480.jpg
3fad0aa71c37e288dfe8d3ad7a98fd70.jpg
f79d16e548fa780983396e37efae8d6c.jpg
2c5fadef225e6772ead452f5e9ec3687.jpg

Clearly you can see it took considerable amount of channel sacrificing to save $10.
For that Kind of loss, I would subscribe to SlingTV and actually save real money.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I followed that link and clicked on "continue with Flex Pack Base only" and the total at the bottom was still $29.99

The offer that you see on www.dish.com is generally for new customers only. In addition, this offer only consist of the Flex Pack programming and does not include any add on packages, equipment and services fees. The $39.99 promotion is for the Flex Pack with one free Add On and with eAutopay credit. The $29.99 is just for the Flex Pack with eAutopay promotion.
Well then the Add On is not really free, is it? :raspberry

$86 with Just locals for Flex...
But No
MLB,
NFL,
Velocity,
Hallmark,
Nick,
MTV,
TeenNick,
Gettv,
BBC America,
Science,
Disney,
Disney XD,
RSNs,
FS1,
Big Ten,
Animal planet,
Weather Channel,
ID,
NHL
A slight correction there. Hallmark is included in Flex Pack.

Reactions: Troch77
I followed that link and clicked on "continue with Flex Pack Base only" and the total at the bottom was still $29.99

Thanks,
believe me, there are more channels I'm sure that get watched than what I could even remember.

I don't watch Hallmark, But I know my Wife and Kids do.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: pattykay

Fill in the blanks all the way to the bottom including name address etc. and you will find a $50 activation fee and a couple other fees along with the standard 2 mo. of programming fee. Be careful or DISH will catch you in their bargins. After being away from DISH for a year I just can't go back as a new or old customer they are just turning my stomach

Reactions: primestar31
Fill in the blanks all the way to the bottom including name address etc. and you will find a $50 activation fee and a couple other fees along with the standard 2 mo. of programming fee. Be careful or DISH will catch you in their bargins. After being away from DISH for a year I just can't go back as a new or old customer they are just turning my stomach
Okay. When I read your first post, I thought you meant $129.99 per month. The activation fee, and the fact that the total includes two months of service, makes that total make a little more sense.

Reactions: Yespage and DWS44
In many years of switching back and forth between Dish/Direct/Cable the only activation/installation fee I've ever seen came from the cable company. They even charge you to cancel.

Reactions: pattykay
In many years of switching back and forth between Dish/Direct/Cable the only activation/installation fee I've ever seen came from the cable company. They even charge you to cancel.
I agree. The last time I went back to cable, I refused to sign up until they agreed to waive the installation fee. Fortunately, they were doing a special promotion on the Lifeline Basic package at the time of the digital television transition in June 2009, so I was able to get free installation that way.

You cancelled last year but here you still are in the DISH forum. :rolleyes:

Clearly you can see it took considerable amount of channel sacrificing to save $10.
For that Kind of loss, I would subscribe to SlingTV and actually save real money.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I save $40 and sacrificed only 4 channels (NBCSN, Science, NFL, NHL). I have the base pack plus the Heartland pack as permanent selections and add/remove locals, regional, national, variety and kids packs when needed. Still keeps my bill below $50 (before fees) every month.

You cancelled last year but here you still are in the DISH forum. :rolleyes:

Why shouldn't I be here? I've been here posting years longer than you have, I was a Dish subscriber for 10 years, and I've never yet had Scott tell me I couldn't post anywhere I'd like that I have access to.

EVERY post has good information, to help people make decisions, or get corrected if they are wrong or whatever.

I'd go back to Dish if they'd back off their phony fee scams. I keep checking my options, so I'll continue to look and post. If you don't like it, feel free to block me.

I save $40 and sacrificed only 4 channels (NBCSN, Science, NFL, NHL). I have the base pack plus the Heartland pack as permanent selections and add/remove locals, regional, national, variety and kids packs when needed. Still keeps my bill below $50 (before fees) every month.
You can't disregard those fees DISH still makes quite a bit of money off them

Reactions: Troch77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts